Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i haven't flown with them in years. they are always among the most expensive. granted, i usually only fly one way and book the day before or same day, maybe they simply dont offer deals that late in the game?
The fares are quoted each way, so one way won't bring the price up. Last minute booking does...greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I use them all the time, and they just ran another special last week. I use their low fare calender and often book a few flights ahead, then those legs I don't travel I use the credits w/o charge when there is a future deal.

Ability to change w/o fees AND check bags is a luxury in today's travel world.

Last minute is NOT the way to travel cheap via air, UNLESS you have airline employment / flight benefits.

Example is $49 for booking 14 days in advance or $400 for next day. Same routing / times.

As mentioned, The SWA 'low fare calender' guides me to frequent bargains.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I just had this same conversation with a pilot on Friday. His wife says SWA is cheaper, he does not agree. I have found them spotty, even when booking far in advance. I also don't really like the general admission seating they have, as I am usually traveling in a group of 5. I have found legacy carriers really try to get us all together.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I just had this same conversation with a pilot on Friday. His wife says SWA is cheaper, he does not agree. I have found them spotty, even when booking far in advance. I also don't really like the general admission seating they have, as I am usually traveling in a group of 5. I have found legacy carriers really try to get us all together.
Why would a pilot's wife be concerned about fares (maybe a private pilot?) Even the ramp employees usually get pretty attractive flight benefits.

As one who flies at least monthly and frequently weekly, I REALLY appreciate SWA general admission and FREE bags (not just for my bags but to VASTLY cutdown on boarding time and improve cabin SAFETY. The last 6 flights I've taken this month were all with a Name Brand Carrier, and disgustingly slow for boarding (as everyone hunts for THEIR specific seat AND jams HUGE heavy containers above your head). Then there are the seating errors, then the stuff that doesn't fit and has to be placed in cargo. Not to mention the HIGH cost and time lost of making changes due to variety of reasons.

gimmee SWA any day. I wish they flew to Asia / Europe. (but would have to stop frequently for fuel on 12-16 hr legs in a 737)

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I *LOVE* their seating arrangements, but our kids are grown and we usually fly to them rather than with them. If you confirm your flight promptly, you have a much better chance of sitting together.

Southwest might not be the rock-bottom cheapest, but I like their business model and ease of us. It was on Southwest that I finally, after 7 years of living in north Florida, was able to fly nonstop to Colorado without having to connect. That alone made me a fan.

The other airlines might look cheaper with the base fare, but they nickel and dime you with this or that fee.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Why would a pilot's wife be concerned about fares (maybe a private pilot?) Even the ramp employees usually get pretty attractive flight benefits.
It's getting harder and harder to non-rev. I'd say that on over 75% of the flights I've been on lately, there have been standbys and non-revs left at the gate. When you really need to be somewhere, the only way to go is to buy a ticket. And even discounted tickets have risen in price.

Quote:
As one who flies at least monthly and frequently weekly, I REALLY appreciate SWA general admission and FREE bags (not just for my bags but to VASTLY cutdown on boarding time and improve cabin SAFETY. The last 6 flights I've taken this month were all with a Name Brand Carrier, and disgustingly slow for boarding (as everyone hunts for THEIR specific seat AND jams HUGE heavy containers above your head). Then there are the seating errors, then the stuff that doesn't fit and has to be placed in cargo. Not to mention the HIGH cost and time lost of making changes due to variety of reasons.
For someone that flies as much as you do, you'd be better off staying with a single legacy carrier and getting the perks that come with FF status. Upgrades, very generous baggage allowance (I get 1 x 70 and 2 x 50 for free checked, plus typical carry on allowance) and if you are highest tier, you can now and then for good reason get someone IDB and take their seat when you really need to get someplace. I flew first class r/t to Europe last month and paid for coach. Those fully lay flat seats allowed us to sleep soundly and instead of spending our first day in Europe jet lagged, we were ready to rock and stayed up until midnight local time our first day. Try doing that after spending 10 hours in a coach seat.

Plus the 757, A320 family, and A330 are much more comfortable planes than the 737. Even the E175 is more comfortable than a 737,

I don't have the time or inclination to play the check in game to make sure I get an early BP so I can get an aisle seat close to the front. I'm often in a meeting at the 24 hour mark, and it's not like I can tell my customer, "Oh, hang on, I have to check in." I also don't want to have to be at the gate the minute they begin boarding for this. I'd rather have my preferred seat reserved and walk on using the elite gate line at my leisure anytime before they close the door and know my first class seat with some legroom is waiting for me. And the FA's close the FC overheads after the initial wave of FC passengers boards so there's space left for later boarding FC passengers. Yup, as a frequent flyer I see zero reason to fly SW.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
...Yup, as a frequent flyer I see zero reason to fly SW.
glad we are all made different (and have the CHOICE we get in USA).

As a premier FF flier on several carriers, I see no need to deal with them (legacy grumps) while in USA and fly SWA almost exclusively (unless I want to use my zillion miles to get to a backwoods place).

I do enjoy Alaska Air too (But I bring my Grease Gun if on an MD-80).

You can easily get Early Boarding perks for SWA. I just try to avoid OUTBOUND / connections in SLC, that is a nightmare (on most carriers, even WORSE on legacy) with everyone bringing their huge families and multiple carseats.

I do LUV SWA. I will be flying them 2x this week as well as UA for an Asia route. Air Canada next week. I just don't get all excited about these traditional carriers.. (now Thai and SIA , I can hardly wait to try SCOOT). FlyScoot.com: We're gearing up for adventure It will be a GREAT help to my Thailand Medical tourism trips! (and back and forth to NZ / AUST)

I don't think twice about sending my USA flight $$ to SWA. A pilot recently said "and folks, remember you are sitting above $3000 of luggage revenue that SWA chose to keep in YOUR pocket !"

I prefer to GET IN and GO! USA flights are VERY short anyway. Let's go SWA!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let's assume that American and Southwest have identical fares on a two hour domestic flight. Southwest still has a lower fare because:

1) No bad fees.
2) Many fewer other fees.
3) Ability to change or cancel a flight without paying a penalty.

Also, you get some satisfaction knowing that the airline you choose has HONORED their commitments to its employees unlike the legacy airlines who used the US Bankruptcy Court to renege on their commitments.

And having flown many airlines, consistently I find SW has the happiest employees leading to excellent customer service.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And having flown many airlines, consistently I find SW has the happiest employees leading to excellent customer service.
and I feel safer with HAPPY employees. (I hope they don't subctract the Maint to grumpy legacy mechanics)

Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

(legacy grumps)

Quote:
I don't think twice about sending my USA flight $$ to SWA. A pilot recently said "and folks, remember you are sitting above $3000 of luggage revenue that SWA chose to keep in YOUR pocket !"
Exactly.
I still can't believe we're even discussing baggage charges. It's just ridiculous.

But I am neither a frequent flier nor business traveler. When I do fly it is for pleasure and I only take a backpack. So I tend to *not* be loyal to a particular airline, but Southwest works for me. I saw that airfale sale last week and wish I could have taken advantage of it.

I wonder what changes the merge with Airtran are bringing? Airtran really is disappearing into the Southwest vortex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel