Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times

Advertisements

If you're going for a month it makes sense to drive so you'll have your own vehicle while you're there. I think you said you have a fairly new/low mileage car, so unless it has serious problems or you haven't maintained it at all you should be fine. Roadside assistance is good, but being able to change your own tire, replace fuses, simple stuff like that, is even better so you're not stuck waiting for help for something silly. Make sure your fluids are topped off and your tires are in good shape. It's really not that long a drive, all things considered, but you do want to prevent problems if you can.

For your own sanity on the drive, have some good music, pack the stuff you'll need on the drive in a separate bag from stuff you're bringing for the rest of the trip, plan a few quick fun stops along the way (nice parks/trails to take the dog on a walk, interesting restaurants, etc.), and don't eat too much junk food. It can be more difficult to eat well on the road, but you'll feel better and have more energy if you seek out some fruits and veggies instead of grabbing burgers and junk food. Don't zone out while you're driving. If you need to stop for a rest or a nap or just to get out and walk around, do it. Be aware of your surroundings and park in well-lit places and you should be fine. Women do all sorts of interesting and adventurous things all by themselves. Driving on the interstate for a couple of days is really no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
The Motel 6 chain is dog-friendly.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I think you'll be okay. My biggest concern for you is that that's a lot of driving to do on your own and you're probably going to get tired/bored of driving. I drove from VA to Denver, CO, but I had a friend with me which helped. After 5 or 6 hours of driving I would start to get sore and tired and it was so nice to have a friend to switch off with. I think you should plan your trip out as detailed as possible. Have a plan of how far you'll go, where you will stop, where to spend the night, etc. I had my 10 pound dog with me on my drive and he did fine. He slept mostly and I stopped a lot and let him stretch his legs. Is there any way you could get AAA or some kind of road side assistance? On my drive I got a flat tire in the mountains of WVA and AAA saved my butt...it would have been scary figuring out what to do alone and trying to find numbers...especially if you didn't have good cell service. My tire was shredded and because of how far I was from a tire place I had to get a tow.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Ive done the trip a few times from Boston to Fort myers. You should be pretty safe like other posters have said stay in well lit areas and dont talk to strangers. I dont know if your into it but theres a good top less cofee shop in South carolina off of 95. lol worst decision of my life. One word pancakes
I have often wondered about that place. Whats it like? Isn't it an internet cafe also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would say yes because I went to college in Boston and yes I drove home to florida every year this was when my folks lived in winter haven and that was quite a trip but yes of course you can do it and like others have said stay in well lit areas and dress down such as a ball cap , jeans and flannel shirt and you should be fine . I would watch the roads for ice and snow too . take care .
This is so reassuring to see. I honestly had no reservations about the drive but my mom has been freaking me out and making me paranoid with stories of car accidents. It's weird because I want to see her but I'm also angry at her for making me paranoid and implanting all of these ****ed up thoughts in my head.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
So I just got an old co-worker of mine to drive down with me!! He is in his late twenties and living in NY.

I feel much better but I'm still so paranoid about accidents because of my mom.

I was never this way before until I heard it a million times from her.

The guy I'm driving with thinks we will be able to make it there in one shot! Isn't that much? I feel like I would need to spend the night mid-way.

Any input?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM

662 posts, read 1,260,110 times
One shot?
It can be done,get down by South Carolina/Georgia crash in the car for a few hours of sleep and push on through when you wake up.

Good luck,be safe

Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I think one shot is pushing it. Growing up, we drove from Atlanta to Boston a few times a year. We'd do it in one go, but even that was pushing it for my parents to drive - and they were used to long drives! Just from Atlanta to Orlando takes about 11 hours. I'd suggest a stop at least in the Carolinas.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So I just got an old co-worker of mine to drive down with me!! He is in his late twenties and living in NY.

I feel much better but I'm still so paranoid about accidents because of my mom.

I was never this way before until I heard it a million times from her.

The guy I'm driving with thinks we will be able to make it there in one shot! Isn't that much? I feel like I would need to spend the night mid-way.

Any input?
Listen stop if you need too. Also make sure this guy is one you can trust and let your family know his name and his ss # and anything else they might want to know just to be on the safe side . always leave room for emergencys and leave phone numbers with your parents too .i felt better when you said you were going on this trip by yourself . take care and stay safe .

Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Listen stop if you need too. Also make sure this guy is one you can trust and let your family know his name and his ss # and anything else they might want to know just to be on the safe side . always leave room for emergencys and leave phone numbers with your parents too .i felt better when you said you were going on this trip by yourself . take care and stay safe .
I kinda agree, but if you know this guy well it should make the trip much easier and safer.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
The mother is in FL! The crime rate in many cities there is sky-high so that is probably why mom is paranoid. You don't have to go on the road to come across rapists, murderers and thieves. I have no idea what mom's issue is with truckers and I agree that it makes no sense at all as we have traveled many miles, my cousins were on the road for some time and we just met the neatest couple getting ready to go to trucker school. I would be concerned about the lack of cell service though, would not drive at night, would make frequent stops at safer locations for restroom and just to wakeup and stretch. I would also carry pepper spray and/or a stun gun - I have a Zap knuckle blaster that I got from Cabelas. The world is a dangerous place but you can't just hide away and not live. And flying? That's not that safe either. Most people on the road are just trying to get from here to there. Anyone with commonsense as a pretty fair chance of staying out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel