Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I can guarantee you, if the brat is sitting there kicking the back of someone's seat, he/she has already done things to annoy other passengers --- loud, obnoxious behavior or whatever. Once someone says something about it, you can best believe others are going to chime in. AND if the kid wasn't being obnoxious and "only" kicking the seat, you can also believe other passenger are going to be on the side of the person correcting the behavior (loudly or not) since no one likes an annoying child.
That doesn't mean your LOUDNESS didn't bother more people. You're making a huge assumption that everyone feels the same way you do. I don't feel that way about other people's children. Many other people in this thread shared they didn't either. I wouldn't be on your side if you woke me up with your LOUDNESS.

Quote:
Trust me, your snowflake may be super-duper-specially-wonderful to YOU but he/she is NOT all that special to others, especially when they're a pain in the asss.
I already told you my children only flew a few times and weren't misbehaved. You're going to have to find someone else to project your hatred onto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 AM

5,224 posts, read 6,150,147 times
As a father of twins (exuberant twins) I can say they do pretty well on the plane......that being said I really don't care anymore about annoyances or inconveniences when I travel. This is from someone who has been flying regularly since I was five.

It seems that in the last 2 to 3 years with increased frequency I have been pushed, shoved, stepped on, had luggage dropped on my head by those who cannot get the concept of what fits in the overhead or beyond their lifting ability, and what doesn't fit in after much banging on the overhead door, or just how many bags you can bring aboard, heard conversations on cell phones that was forced on me, unfortunately had to sit next to those that do not feel the need to shower in order to fly and as mentioned been forced into the one side or the other of my seat because of an oversize passenger, been pushed aside in order for those to play the new game of let's run to the front of the plane before everyone gets up (pulling into the gate) and finally smelling everything from onions (lack of food service in flight) to those women who insist on putting nail polish on their nails during the flights.

Now I say a lot of this tongue and cheek but children seem to be the least of what disturbs me on flights anymore.........................I feel better now I could go on about those who are sitting next to me in the movie theatre and are checking texts every five minutes (smartphone lights up) or the dude who has the flashing Bluetooth in his ear, but heck it's the holidays!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Same here. Why have a child tortured and made miserable just because the parent is too selfish to consider that child or all the other passengers.

It's like restaurants and shopping, you shouldn't take an out-of-control child to dinner just so they can scream or run around while you sit and blissfully enjoy your meal but no one else can.

I took road trips because even with the inconvenience, my kids could get out and stretch their legs, run around and play and not bother anyone.
Good idea, we'll drive the next time we go to Johannesburg.

Quote:
So.... just because you're in a plane, that means you have to tolerate someone's brat kicking the back of your seat??? Or being a brat in general (screaming, making noise, being obnoxious, etc) and the parents are doing nothing about it?

How do you know the parents are doing nothing about it?

Quote:
I can guarantee you, if the brat is sitting there kicking the back of someone's seat, he/she has already done things to annoy other passengers --- loud, obnoxious behavior or whatever. Once someone says something about it, you can best believe others are going to chime in. AND if the kid wasn't being obnoxious and "only" kicking the seat, you can also believe other passenger are going to be on the side of the person correcting the behavior (loudly or not) since no one likes an annoying child.

Trust me, your snowflake may be super-duper-specially-wonderful to YOU but he/she is NOT all that special to others, especially when they're a pain in the asss.
This post is just obnoxious. There are plenty of polite ways to deal with people whose behaviors are annoying you, but it does come back to the fact that what annoys one person may not annoy the next. And I'm pretty sure the most vocal posters in this thread annoy others on a regular basis.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As a father of twins (exuberant twins) I can say they do pretty well on the plane......that being said I really don't care anymore about annoyances or inconveniences when I travel. This is from someone who has been flying regularly since I was five.

It seems that in the last 2 to 3 years with increased frequency I have been pushed, shoved, stepped on, had luggage dropped on my head by those who cannot get the concept of what fits in the overhead or beyond their lifting ability, and what doesn't fit in after much banging on the overhead door, or just how many bags you can bring aboard, heard conversations on cell phones that was forced on me, unfortunately had to sit next to those that do not feel the need to shower in order to fly and as mentioned been forced into the one side or the other of my seat because of an oversize passenger, been pushed aside in order for those to play the new game of let's run to the front of the plane before everyone gets up (pulling into the gate) and finally smelling everything from onions (lack of food service in flight) to those women who insist on putting nail polish on their nails during the flights.

Now I say a lot of this tongue and cheek but children seem to be the least of what disturbs me on flights anymore.........................I feel better now I could go on about those who are sitting next to me in the movie theatre and are checking texts every five minutes (smartphone lights up) or the dude who has the flashing Bluetooth in his ear, but heck it's the holidays!!! Merry Christmas!!!
I like the way you think. And, I agree, those people who insist on attempting to stuff too much in the overheads are very annoying. They are also more common than misbehaving children.

We fly frequently, and I just don't experience hoards of wild kids. I have had the back of my seat kicked, but I turned around, and asked that it stop, please. And, it did. Had it not, I wouldn't have raised my voice or my blood pressure, I would have pressed the attendant light and asked them to speak to the parents.

Tightly packed planes and hurried travelers have pretty much eliminated quiet relaxing air travel. So, when it happens, I take it as a bonus.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
I get the impression that people think some of us fly with our irritating children because we'd love to spend a care-free week in the Bahamas. This is not always true. For example, next summer, I plan on flying 3600km (that's 2200 miles to most of you) with an angelic two year old, and a disabled (autistic) 4.5 year old. It is unreasonable to expect him to spend three days in a vehicle when 3 hours in a plane is already difficult enough, he is not even able to wait in a grocery store express lane.

Sorry, I warn in advance, the autistic child will probably disturb you. I will apologize for it, but I can't fix it. You'll have to deal for 3.5 hours what I deal with 24/7 for the rest of my life.

If a parent can control the situation then of course, they should. I think most of us do. I know some children are also much easier to control and pacify others, because I have another child that smiles and coos even when he has the flu. Life is not always so simple as just telling a kid to shut up and behave. It also isn't so simple as just choosing to cancel $2000 worth of flights because someone has an ear infection. Wouldn't that be nice?

If you don't like the way a child is acting on a flight, and the parent is NOT doing anything to deal with it, then simply and politely speak up or complain to an air attendant, that is their job to intermediary such disputes. Or, just grumble under your breath about "brats" while forgetting you were somebody's brat once upon a time, and that you might be a dick in certain situations too. Either way, it's not so black and white - and it's also not so complicated to deal with either.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I like the way you think. And, I agree, those people who insist on attempting to stuff too much in the overheads are very annoying. They are also more common than misbehaving children.
Oy do I agree with you there. The ways in which other grown ups can make travel unpleasant for other grown ups way out does anything that the kids do.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

This made me laugh! Let's add the people who stand in the isle getting stuff out of their bag, etc before shoving that huge bad up into the overhead, blocking everyone from passing and ignoring the flight attendant telling people to MOVE so the plane can leave on time....

Or the person who is silently passing gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We fly frequently, and I just don't experience hoards of wild kids. I have had the back of my seat kicked, but I turned around, and asked that it stop, please. And, it did. Had it not, I wouldn't have raised my voice or my blood pressure, I would have pressed the attendant light and asked them to speak to the parents.

Tightly packed planes and hurried travelers have pretty much eliminated quiet relaxing air travel. So, when it happens, I take it as a bonus.
Agreed. In fact, when we flew over Thanksgiving, I overheard people complimenting a family for how well behaved their kids were which was a very nice thing to do. I didn't even realize kids were back there. I have definitely experienced more well behaved kids than the reverse.

That being said, having a chair kicked is annoying but I've not had it resolved by just turning around and giving a look. I was probably the most obsessive about that when our son was little and flew.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
So.... just because you're in a plane, that means you have to tolerate someone's brat kicking the back of your seat??? Or being a brat in general (screaming, making noise, being obnoxious, etc) and the parents are doing nothing about it?

Yeah sure, why not. That's exactly what I said. That's why I frequent a parenting forum, so I can justify bad behavior. Hey, perhaps I'll even devise some new evil methods to keep kids annoying you. It's what I live for.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good idea, we'll drive the next time we go to Johannesburg.
The drive from Philly to Sydney is lovely this time of year. You can stop in Hawaii for gas, no problem.

So when my mother shuffles off this mortal coil I'll make sure that my child is feeling up to the trip, otherwise I'll just ask them to reschedule the funeral. Shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
^^ Chitty chitty bang bang floats, right? Well if not, it can fly. It will only take a year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel