Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Luxury Flight or Luxury Hotel?
Luxury Flight 12 18.46%
Luxury Hotel 53 81.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
3. Miracle on the Hudson is one example. There are hundreds more.
United 232 is a good case study because a lot more people survived the crash than conventional wisdom said would in that kind of scenario, including many accounts of passengers saving other passengers.

United Airlines Flight 232 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More recently there was Asiana 214 that crashed while trying to land in San Francisco. Do you want to be impaired while trying to escape from the wreckage of a plane that had come apart on landing and was starting to catch fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
15 hrs vs 3 nights. Duh.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You wouldn't stay in 3 star hotels in Canada, Germanic Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand
No.

For one, in other countries there is no difference between smoking and non-smoking rooms. I am allergic and ABHOR the four reeking stench of cigarette smoke.

I have been to almost all of the places you have listed save NZ and have stayed in 5 star hotels all around. No regrets.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 PM

156 posts, read 287,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
15 hrs vs 3 nights. Duh.
It's actually 30 hours of flight (to and fro). Assuming the average person sleeps for 8 hours a night, the stay in the hotel is 8 hours x 3 = 24 hours.

So, technically, you should say "30 hours vs 24 hours. Duh."

Old 08-03-2014, 02:21 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
1. I don't fly economy on long hauls. Worst case is premium economy. Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones do wonders.

2. You have no respect for insulin dependent diabetics? Nice.

3. Miracle on the Hudson is one example. There are hundreds more.

4. Emergency landings, decompression, etc.
1.Wish i could do the same thing but when i see a business class ticket is almost double the price of a economy ticket, the Dutch inside me won't let me buy it

2.Okay, you got me there but i hope you know what i'm saying, I'm talking about non-emergency drugs like Heroin for example. I know for addicts they are not non-emergency but before they started to use it they didn't need it.

3.I think i would already be awake before the boats came to the plane, if not i think my neighbor or air hostess will wake me up.

4.In such a case it's only good (for me) that i have Xanax/Valium in my system, if not i might suffer a severe panic attack.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:30 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
If the poll shows 1 thing it is that there are way more tourists on this forum than travelers
Like i said it also depends on the destination (climate, average costs, safety, nightlife).

Old 08-03-2014, 06:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No.

For one, in other countries there is no difference between smoking and non-smoking rooms. I am allergic and ABHOR the four reeking stench of cigarette smoke.

I have been to almost all of the places you have listed save NZ and have stayed in 5 star hotels all around. No regrets.
The smoking issue is why we often stick with American brand hotels in Europe. When you book the Hilton/Marriott/InterContinental/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton as a non-smoking room, you get a non-smoking room. I am seeing more and more Marriotts and InterContinentals around the world becoming property wide smoke free.

FYI--Boscolo hotels are good about honoring smoking preferences as well, although IMHO they are over-priced unless they are offering a special.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Wish i could do the same thing but when i see a business class ticket is almost double the price of a economy ticket, the Dutch inside me won't let me buy it

2.Okay, you got me there but i hope you know what i'm saying, I'm talking about non-emergency drugs like Heroin for example. I know for addicts they are not non-emergency but before they started to use it they didn't need it.

3.I think i would already be awake before the boats came to the plane, if not i think my neighbor or air hostess will wake me up.

4.In such a case it's only good (for me) that i have Xanax/Valium in my system, if not i might suffer a severe panic attack.
Premium economy is usually only about 125% the cost of an economy ticket. The extra legroom and inch or two in width make all the difference in the world when trying to sleep on a long haul.

Frankly if the plane goes down, I'm not bothering to wake anyone up, I'm outta there. I would be far more inclined to help someone with a physical disability than the dude snoring in the seat next to me. If the O2 masks drop, I'd give you a nudge. If you didn't wake up, triage rules demand that you are unresponsive to stimuli and to be left for dead in order to assist those who can be saved.

If you think the flight attendants will be worried about waking you up--think again. They will be worried about the collective and the unaccompanied minors, not the people who drugged themselves and are snoring away. If you are lucky the pilot might drag you off as he clears the plane. There are non-drug treatments for panic attacks.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
It depends on the length of the flight. On domestic flights, first class is a joke. You get a better meal and a slightly more comfortable seat and you are paying $500-$1000 more per ticket. Why the hell would I pay for a first class seat on a 2-3 hour flight? It's not worth it.

On international flights, it is worth it. I would not fly coach on international flights. I would fly business or first class because the service and amenities vary considerably particularly on non-American carriers (Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Korean Air Emirates, Swiss Air). I general, I prefer Asian carriers because they still hold onto the old world level of service. The flight attendants don't sass you and make you feel guilty for asking for a blanket like on American and some European carriers. If you ask for anything, it's done and all you get is a smile.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It depends on the length of the flight. On domestic flights, first class is a joke. You get a better meal and a slightly more comfortable seat and you are paying $500-$1000 more per ticket. Why the hell would I pay for a first class seat on a 2-3 hour flight? It's not worth it.

On international flights, it is worth it. I would not fly coach on international flights. I would fly business or first class because the service and amenities vary considerably particularly on non-American carriers (Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Korean Air Emirates, Swiss Air). I general, I prefer Asian carriers because they still hold onto the old world level of service. The flight attendants don't sass you and make you feel guilty for asking for a blanket like on American and some European carriers. If you ask for anything, it's done and all you get is a smile.
You'll never need to ask for a blanket on a US carrier in first class on an International flight. They will be already at your seat with a comfy pillow when you board--and not those tatty things you get in economy. Some US carriers have really stepped up their game when it comes to International first/business service. I'll take US Airways over Air France any day. Talk about surly and rude--Air France was one of the single worst flying experiences of my life. Pitiful.

I fly first when flying cross country, but book coach for east coast trips--my status gets me into first 99% of the time. I choose at minimum premium economy for international flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel