Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I spoke with my Godfather yesterday and back in the day he was a very frequent flyer on PanAm at least once a month to Europe, Far East or South America... company paid for business class and would allow him to cash in the Business Class tickets toward two coach tickets if a family member was accompanying him.

He said reclining seats and legroom was never an issue for the millions of miles he flew in the 60's and 80's and profession was a guidance systems for Lockheed... so he was well versed with all things aeronautical... his company built many of the planes in service back then like the L1011.

Make no mistake... the seat/leg formula is pushing the envelope to see just how much can be squeezed until the public pushes back...
I"m all for the airlines raising ticket prices in order to increase pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I"m all for the airlines raising ticket prices in order to increase pitch.
That's because your employer is paying for your tickets. If you were self employed or a business owner, or a retired person with an average pension and assets, or a family saving to go on a once a year vacation, you would say otherwise.

I suspect you'll disagree with me. I still think you're out of touch with how most people live and travel.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's because your employer is paying for your tickets. If you were self employed or a business owner, or a retired person with an average pension and assets, or a family saving to go on a once a year vacation, you would say otherwise.

I suspect you'll disagree with me. I still think you're out of touch with how most people live and travel.
I would LOVE to pay slightly higher prices for a little more room in coach. ("Economy Plus" is a start.) I pay for my own tickets.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Do you think I never travel for pleasure? I have three pleasure trips already booked before the end of the year--two are cross-country, one to NYC. I am planning another LA trip in January and already have tickets booked to Europe in late winter. Those are all on my own dime.

Travelers have two choices, pay more for more space or deal with the space that is there, including the reclining seats. You can't have it both ways. Which way do you want it?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Do you think I never travel for pleasure? I have three pleasure trips already booked before the end of the year--two are cross-country, one to NYC. I am planning another LA trip in January and already have tickets booked to Europe in late winter. Those are all on my own dime.

Thank you for proving his point.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Thank you for proving his point.
Actually there was no point, because you don't know the whole story.

Two of the trips are related to medical treatment which is not available where I live. One is a trip to help my elderly mother move into assisted living--my ticket was a steal at $160 r/t. While they aren't business related, they also aren't optional.

The January trip will only happen if I can find a great deal--I can do a long weekend in LA for under $300 including airfare and car rental as I stay with friends.

The airfare is the most expensive part of the Euro trip--we have rented a flat for a very reasonable rate and are spending most of our time visiting with friends.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Actually there was no point, because you don't know the whole story.

Two of the trips are related to medical treatment which is not available where I live. One is a trip to help my elderly mother move into assisted living--my ticket was a steal at $160 r/t. While they aren't business related, they also aren't optional.

The January trip will only happen if I can find a great deal--I can do a long weekend in LA for under $300 including airfare and car rental as I stay with friends.

The airfare is the most expensive part of the Euro trip--we have rented a flat for a very reasonable rate and are spending most of our time visiting with friends.

So you lied in your previous post. Got it.

But even so, his point went over your head, apparently.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you lied in your previous post. Got it.

But even so, his point went over your head, apparently.
??? How did I lie?

The point didn't go over my head, I don't agree with it. Not everyone lives hand-to-mouth. Most of the US is decidedly middle class with well over half having a household income of over $50K.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
The last two planes I was on, I think it reclined about a half an inch.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 PM

403 posts, read 557,425 times
I look at it this way and you can agree with me or disagree with me, I don't care. I do recline and I feel the person in front of me has the right to recline as well. There have only been a few rare cases where I even had to ask somebody to sit up again when they've been reclined. Every time I had to ask, I was responded to politely and if I'm reclined and the person behind me asks politely, I will respond politely as well. If the person behind me wants to be childish and kick my seat or yank on my seat just because I'm reclined, but they haven't taken the time to ask me to stop reclining, then there's no way that I will stop reclining. I do believe in the golden rule and that you should treat others as you want to be treated yourself. So, if you want to be treated as an adult, then act like an adult. If the person in front of you is reclined and you need something out of your bag or you just simply can't move your legs, just ask them politely and I'm sure they'll accommodate you or you 2 can at least compromise. However, you also shouldn't ask for the person to put their seat upright again simply because you don't like the fact that they are reclined.

Tall people and I'll even add in obese people for this part have problems that aren't entirely their fault. There have been many obese people who purchase 2 seats because of their size, but then they are given seats far apart, such as 8D and 26A for instance. Obviously, that is the airline's fault if that happens. Tall people will often pass an exit row seat and see people that are say 5'5" in the exit row simply because they want the extra room, not because they require the extra room. On my last flight, I bet the tallest person in the exit row was maybe 5'7". That person doesn't require the extra space provided by the exit row, they just wanted it for whatever reason. So, maybe the airlines should put a height restriction on the exit row seats at least and say if you're under 6' tall for instance, you can't sit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel