Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And how do you slam a seat back? I've never been on one that slams -- the hydraulics seem to prevent it...
Any time an airline's special frequent flyer has to fly in coach they install a special seat reclining button that allows the frequent flyer to slam their seat back in the event they need to educate someone not worthy enough to be sitting behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
I refuse to twist my legs sideways into the next seat to let the personin front recline on a short flight, so yes, every time they can only recline until they hit my knees. And they're always, for some reason, puzzled, and usually go for a few extra whacks. Why do other people let them do it? Are there so many doormats in this world?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Someone earlier in the thread complained that they couldn't put down their tray table with the seat in front of them reclined, so the FA wouldn't give them a beverage. I call bunk unless they were obese. Even then the FA would still give them a beverage. Yet another who has probably never been on a plane in their life.
I will agree with you on that one; even reclining the tray will be normal unless the person is a bit obese. A person may have to sit a little straighter, but the tray can still fold down just fine with a seat in front reclined.

My posts are speaking strictly of knees preventing the seat from reclining, nothing else.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
How far back can the average airline seat recline?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Anyone who has a reclining seat should be allowed to recline that seat. If the person behind doesn't like it, tough. Maybe they should buy a business class seat next time
Should be allowed and being able are two different things.

Many in my family are tall... it is often a lock... knees are against the seat ahead... no buts about it.

I agree... the person that must recline needs to book business...

Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Wouldn't it be nice to have all that money annerk has to buy 1st class seats with the room to recline. Obviously she hasn't flown in coach where 98% of all the seating is the same tight space.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Damn. The dead horse that everyone continues to beat has rigor mortis in his legs, blocking my ability to recline.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So the person in front of me has reclined, yet I need to suffer because some jerk behind me didn't bother to consider that they wouldn't fit into the seat the way it's made to operate--ie with the one in front of it reclined--and buy one that would work? Talk about selfish! It's OK for me to lose space but not the selfish jerk behind me? No way.
Deal with it.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think there are too many variables here -- not everyone flying is the person who is booking. Companies have people who do the bookings and have restrictions they must follow.

We are 5 minutes away from a major airport, and when my husband worked for a large company they outright REFUSED to book anything from Oakland, he HAD to fly out of San Francisco. That's over a two hour drive, because they also refused to book him at a non commute time. And I dropped him at the airport because parking ate up his per diem....

He kept putting his foot down, and finally I started booking his flights at home and he expensed it. THAT ticked off the higher ups. He also insisted on a certain hotel that was cheaper because the cable was better. That ticked off his manager who wanted to stay at some 500 buck a night place... too much politics.

And even so -- there aren't many seats where there is more leg room. It is what it is.

That's why I fly Southwest. I prefer puddle jumping. I might take me three hours longer to get where I'm going, but I have time to walk the airport, get my bearings, calm down (I am a bad flyer) grab a healthy snack and water... My favorite flight -- Oakland to Chicago Midway then to Pittsburgh.

And how do you slam a seat back? I've never been on one that slams -- the hydraulics seem to prevent it...
Hang on--he paid for parking out of per diem? I have NEVER EVER heard of such a thing. Parking is a separate expense, just like plane tickets. Per diem covers meals, sometimes hotels, and personal expenses.

I am on my sixth job which requires travel, and have never, ever had to pay parking out of pocket or per diem.

There are no hydraulics on the seat backs. It's entirely mechanical.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
How far back can the average airline seat recline?
Not far at all. Not far enough for the whiners to have any sort of valid complaint about their space. If they are too tall and already know it, shame on them for not booking a seat with more legroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel