Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following would lead you to complain to the desk manager?
A lack of bathroom supplies (shampoo, body wash, etc.) 16 22.86%
Small but noticeable pungent food stains on bed 57 81.43%
Lack of adequate air conditioning 52 74.29%
Only CH UP button works on TV remote 18 25.71%
Weak Wi-Fi signal 19 27.14%
Valet driver noticeably stoned 35 50.00%
Bell hop noticeably drunk 33 47.14%
Housekeeping maid noticeably high on methamphetamines 34 48.57%
Baby up at 3 am crying in next room 18 25.71%
Bedsheets on one bed not changed 52 74.29%
Room not dusted 33 47.14%
Limited TV channel selection 2 2.86%
Faint smell of smoke in smoke-free building 27 38.57%
Attendant forgot to give your room a wake-up call 35 50.00%
Loud people returning from hotel bar at final close 13 18.57%
Lack of a daily newspaper when promised 13 18.57%
Disgusting smell in hotel's public toilets 35 50.00%
Old man in G-string in hot tub 10 14.29%
Misplaced wake-up call at 5 a.m. 27 38.57%
Nothing would bother me enough to complain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Frankly, most of the things on the list might mean a call to the front desk requesting correction, but not neccessarily a complaint to the manager. If the problems weren't satisfactorily corrected, then I would probably complain.

I would alert the manager about intoxicated/impaired staff, but again, not neccessarily a complaint, unless they somehow put my life in danger.

Geez

The manager is probably as stoned as his employees, they probably buy it from him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
I have on a few occasions "complained" to the hotel manager when I travel, and it usually is about something like lack of cleanliness (I had a Boston area Marriott experience where the room obviously was not cleaned properly - simply disgusting). A stay in Chicago at the Le Meridien because of smoke - poor ventilation I had to place towels under door jam to prevent it as best as possible because they had no other rooms.

In most cases, hotel management was not the issue but rather other guests (smokers / partiers) or the lack of an employee doing their job properly (cleaning crew or deferred maintenance operations upkeep faulty A/C/ heat units etc...)
The vast majority of times I have 'complained' the hotel management provided an alternative fix that was suitable (new room in most instances).

I was once prompted to have manager call police due to partiers in an adjacent room at about 1:30am which one could tell had more occupants than the fire code allowed; some sort of college team all piled into one room for drunken games and revelry. I didn't want to confront as dealing with drunks is never a good outcome.

Depending on the type of travel the 'other guest' nuisances are less annoying. If business travel I'll be more likely to complain. If leisure travel less so. One week in Tempe, AZ years ago, I happened to have the Milwaukee Brewers minor leaguers in the complex and for most part they were entertaining. Some college age hijinks practical joking seemed to occur each night and stupid after hours pool play didn't bother me enough to complain.

Also had experience in Budapest where the noise from guests was simply unbearable for one night. When I asked the manager if they could do something about it the gentlemen working shook his head and said in broken English, "Norwegians, Norwegians, we can't get them to quiet". Funny memory -they seemed to be making a ruckus (a few floors above) whenever I was in my room. I think they were watching world cup soccer games.

Jlawrence01 touched upon another aspect which is, every once in a while you may get a hotel property that simply has been neglected (deferred maintenance etc..) by owners and the whole ambience of the place is terrible like you spun the wheel and hit the "Bankrupt" spot on Wheel of Fortune. The few times I've gotten these types was usually road trips. Franchise chains lose quality control in out lying regions in many instances. I recall one which reminded me of the Bates Motel.

As to your list the most complaint worthy would be not getting wake up call (although many hotels now have those self programmable wake up call feature on their phones) and the HVAC not working coupled with filthy bathroom (and smell) and room furnishings.

One thing I learned in my business travel days was to always check bathroom cleanliness first and check the toilet flush power from a number 'one' to insure no overestimating of toilet strength.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Geez

The manager is probably as stoned as his employees, they probably buy it from him!
I have a feeling I'm not staying in the same type of hotels you apparently are.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Wow, how do these "dives" stay in business or open???????

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I hate it when windows don't open in the room. It's so claustrophobic! Other than that, the only thing I'd probably complaint about to the manager is a dead hooker under the bed.
I refuse to stay in a hotel where I can't open a window, and that describes so many 5-star hotels today!

In addition to that, I insist upon a balcony, or an outdoor aisle balcony, and I wont' stay anywhere without those features!

I smoke, but won't smoke in my room, and in so many of these nonsmoking hotels today, if do want to smoke, I must take the elevator to the lobby, go outside, and go another 40 feet away from the entrance to smoke!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
For me, just unhygienic rooms, smokiness, and a tweaking maid.

And the only reason I'd complain about the maid is because speed freaks tend to steal to support their habit. Or for god knows why. Regardless, I don't want a crankster in my room.

Oh and the stoned valet, since driving intoxicated could be dangerous to others and my car

Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Where the heck do you stay?

A crying baby isn't the hotel's fault - that's what babies do - and an old man in the hot tub in a G-string would only bother me if the hot tub and the man are in my room. I also might be one of the loud people coming out of the bar.

But most of the rest of the items are completely unacceptable. For the business-class rates I pay, I expect a clean, safe, comfortable hotel room with everything "working" - especially the Internet! When I travel for work, the Internet is a necessity, and I've checked out of hotels because their Internet connection didn't work.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Where the heck do you stay?

and an old man in the hot tub in a G-string would only bother me if the hot tub and the man are in my room.
Isn't that the whole point of the thread, the old man with g-string in hot tub is in YOUR ROOM.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Isn't that the whole point of the thread, the old man with g-string in hot tub is in YOUR ROOM.
No, it's not. If there's a man in my room other than me or the room service guy, I'm in the wrong kind of hotel :-)

AFAIK the OP was talking about the common-area hot tub.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Does anyone even use wake-up calls anymore?

That said, the thing not listed for me is having a room by the elevator. It is way to loud with people coming off/on, and the darn ding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel