Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_Inova View Post
Why are people of mixed/African descent labeled, "African American," and not simply American? My ancestry has roots which are grounded in America for over 400 years. Are you European American? Please do not refer to me as African American. Although I have visited nations in Africa, I can't say that I personally identify with the culture, customs or languages, since again, my family has been in the U.S. for over 400 years (probably far longer than your ancestry).

I also do not like the label "black." I have yet to meet anyone with black skin, so why classify me as such? I find it insulting to be quite honest, because if you look up the term "black" in the dictionary, it is a very negative and despicable word.

Lastly, I do not like being mistaken for an Aruban, or any other type of "local." I am told that it's due to my features and curly hair, but I personally find it insulting, since the locals are primarily the servers, and I do not project a low income vibe at all. My husband and I are upper middle class. Obviously, he doesn't have this problem because he is blonde/blue. Also, it never happens when I'm out with him, only during the early morning hours when I'm jogging on the beach, or walking throughout the resort w/out him.
Oh well excuuuuse us. You never came out and said whether you were caramel-colored or un-black or a tanned American or whatever it is you want to be called, before you started whining about it happening to you. Maybe next time you should say whatever it is you believe you are, so people know exactly where you are coming from. We're not mind-readers.

And by the way, you could always stop going to these resorts if you can't even say anything nice about them, and only complain about something that is your problem, not theirs. Then again, I predict your husband won't take you to many more, with your attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:26 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I know what the problem is. OP. go look in the mirror.

You don't want to be label as African american, you don't want to be label as black.
What are you?

How was anyone to know you are upper middle class? Cause at home you got a used E class benz?

Let me guess, at your work, you preferr to be call ms Patricia. Cause you demand respect.

Hello Ms Patricia, you may call me Sir Christopher.

You are lost lady.

^LOL^

My vote is going to troll as well, no way the OP is real-tea

I live in what's known as the "Gulfton ghetto" and i'm always getting men/women (Mexican, El Salvadorian, Cuban, etc coming up and asking me what time it is, counting out my change in Spanish, etc and i'm a black chic.....it doesn't bother me though (especially when a nice looking guy tries to spin some game while i'm washing my car at the local car wash haha

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I have yet to meet a person with "white skin." My husband is pretty pale, yet his skin is not "white."
Quote:
The locals are usually the "servers" and low income in the Caribbean.

I wouldn't mind being mistaken for a local, if the locals had a higher socioeconomic standing. When I visit Nova Scotia (for example), I wouldn't have any issues being viewed as a local Canadian.
Just another troll. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
However... and I'm not exaggerating!... New York city dwellers, in general, dress up a LOT better than Pacific Northwesterners.
True, that!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:34 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Please do not refer to me as African American.

I also do not like the label "black."
Not trying to be snarky, but asking a serious question. If you went missing, and someone needed to describe what you look like so people could go and look for you, how would you prefer them to do so?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 AM

"She was a Werther's Original wearing a gold wrap".

Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 42,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just another troll. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.
But she raises some good points, even though I don't agree with the classim. ARe you truly white? Is she truly black, who determines these artifical labels?

Raven Simone the cute little ex cosby girl recently stirred some controversy when she stated that she was not an African American, because all of her immediate and distant family is from Louisiana. She considers herself just an American. Maybe this is not a topic for this board but I find it strange that people have a problem with an actual American wanting to identify and be seen as an American.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
I have yet to meet a person with "white skin." My husband is pretty pale, yet his skin is not "white."
*yawn*

Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 42,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not trying to be snarky, but asking a serious question. If you went missing, and someone needed to describe what you look like so people could go and look for you, how would you prefer them to do so?
I agree with her about one thing, no one is truly white and no one is truly black. People are varying shades so why do we use the white and black labels? One group does get the short end of the stick because black represents everything negative, while white represents everything positive. I can see why someone wouldn't want to be labled in this manner.

Here are the definitions under black:

soiled or stained with dirt:That shirt was black within an hour.

gloomy; pessimistic; dismal:a black outlook.

deliberately; harmful; inexcusable:a black lie.

boding ill; sullen or hostile; threatening:black words; black looks.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityscape_545 View Post
But she raises some good points, even though I don't agree with the classim. ARe you truly white? Is she truly black, who determines these artifical labels?

Raven Simone the cute little ex cosby girl recently stirred some controversy when she stated that she was not an African American, because all of her immediate and distant family is from Louisiana. She considers herself just an American. Maybe this is not a topic for this board but I find it strange that people have a problem with an actual American wanting to identify and be seen as an American.
This is all well and good when you have a situation when you can see someone face-to-face. She never described herself out of the gate, so how do we know what color she is, and what she prefers? She sounds like an angry, unpleasant person, no matter the color of her skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel