Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Why wouldn't you take care of your own 18 month old?
Because you can't if you're 20 rows away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Because you can't if you're 20 rows away.
I can't tell if you're trying to be obtuse? Read the rest of my post.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
I would. It's a pretty insignificant matter, and it could brighten someone else's day. Yes I would even sit in one of the *le gasp* middle seats or back rows. It's only temporary. The "inconvenience" will end.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I'm FAR more concerned about getting to my destination safely. Families should sit together, absolutely. I would never get in the way of that.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:25 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
People with lap babies get the bulkhead seats by default, the only preference is given to people with younger lap babies (because of the weight limit in the bassinette). I went for years and years only ever flying bulkhead.

And don't forget, people with lap babies paid more for their ticket than anyone else in that cabin (adult, plus 10% of full adult fare plus two sets of fees). I've been quoted five times as much for my lap baby than for my own ticket (yes, I bought a full ticket for them on that flight).
Yeah this was a domestic leg of a flight with no bassinettes involved, though. We'd just come off a long haul international flight though and I had no complaints about my seating or treatment there!

Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I can't tell if you're trying to be obtuse? Read the rest of my post.
I'd be happy to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Oh give me a break.
I flew back to the US at the end of my honeymoon (overseas, 10+ hrs) with my husband on a completely different airline, AND the IFE didn't work.
Thank God for iPads.

Cry me a river if a family can't stand to sit apart for 3 hrs. Most people are just watching a movie, reading, or sleeping anyway.
Yep, still says IDGAF if you 'can't stand' to sit apart from your kids.

You still don't understand that a parent doesn't actually want to spend the flight dealing with their small child, it's just that they're the only one obliged to do it, and the one (usually) best qualified to do it (I live in hope that one day the airline will mess up and put my kids next to a lonely preschool teacher who shoos me off to rest while she deals with them). It sucks for everyone, but that child is there and needs to be managed for the duration of the flight and the parent is usually the only one who can't get out of doing it. Or maybe you do understand now and that's why you're trying to backtrack. But why not just backtrack instead of pretending you didn't type what you typed?

Here's how you do it: "oh! When I answered I was only thinking of husbands and wives, I totally forgot about children because they're not on my radar. Of course I switch when the airline makes such a stupid mistake."

Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Yeah this was a domestic leg of a flight with no bassinettes involved, though. We'd just come off a long haul international flight though and I had no complaints about my seating or treatment there!
I think they do something odd with seat assignments when they do a multi stage trip. Maybe the computer only has one category and once you're in it for the long flight the domestic legs are automatic. I didn't even realise we were in the posh United seats on domestic legs until we aged out of the lap baby phase. Talk about a rude shock! Although liftable armrests are very nice.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:07 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,426 times
Quote:
I'd be happy to.

Yep, still says IDGAF if you 'can't stand' to sit apart from your kids.

You still don't understand that a parent doesn't actually want to spend the flight dealing with their small child, it's just that they're the only one obliged to do it, and the one (usually) best qualified to do it (I live in hope that one day the airline will mess up and put my kids next to a lonely preschool teacher who shoos me off to rest while she deals with them). It sucks for everyone, but that child is there and needs to be managed for the duration of the flight and the parent is usually the only one who can't get out of doing it. Or maybe you do understand now and that's why you're trying to backtrack. But why not just backtrack instead of pretending you didn't type what you typed?

Here's how you do it: "oh! When I answered I was only thinking of husbands and wives, I totally forgot about children because they're not on my radar. Of course I switch when the airline makes such a stupid mistake."
Most parents do want to be with their kids, and the post your attacking above clearly is not referring to infants. Your desire to be antagonistic doesn't make that poster have to explain anything to you. My kids have sat separate from us after the ages of 10 or so without an ussue and yet I've seen parents raise a ruckus because they're not with their teenagers.

You do seem to need a nap.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
IDK...I think WildColonialGirl is making some great points.

According to a lot of these responses, perhaps we parents shouldn't even consider requesting another passenger switch so we can sit with our little ones. So rude to even ask!! I'd hate for some poor soul to have to respond "no" to a politely asked question. You all may be on to something...maybe we should just sit quietly and wait for the airline to handle it...after they screwed up our well-planned seating arrangements...

Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
IDK...I think WildColonialGirl is making some great points.

According to a lot of these responses, perhaps we parents shouldn't even consider requesting another passenger switch so we can sit with our little ones. So rude to even ask!! I'd hate for some poor soul to have to respond "no" to a politely asked question. You all may be on to something...maybe we should just sit quietly and wait for the airline to handle it...after they screwed up our well-planned seating arrangements...
Or sit quietly and hope no one suspects we're associated with the screaming dervish up in row 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel