Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Are you doing it on your own? I would try AIG's travel Guard. Just be certain that no matter what company you use, they cover a party not traveling with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
My question is this - if the parent dies while we are in Europe and we have to come back, what do you do with the airlines? Do you request bereavement fares for the entire family? Do you ask to come back earlier than anticipated without being charged change fees? How easy is this/how accommodating are the airlines?

When my friend came to see me one week, her mother died suddenly the first night she was here. We just called Delta and told them the situation, and she was able to get her flight changed for free.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
JK Gourmet -I would lvoe to ask her what she would like us to do - but, she has dementia

Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
I have a trip scheduled with my family in the summer. We've put off this family trip to Europe for a while now because of various illnesses and deaths in the family- 3 of the 4 parents/grandparents have been ill and passed away over the last 5 years. the last parent is not in good shape but hanging in there. My question is this - if the parent dies while we are in Europe and we have to come back, what do you do with the airlines? Do you request bereavement fares for the entire family? Do you ask to come back earlier than anticipated without being charged change fees? How easy is this/how accommodating are the airlines? I need to know because it's a real possibility that something will happen but we do want to go on this trip even though there is this possibility because our kids are getting older and we kind of have to live our lives, you know? that may sound insensitive but we have done everything for the parents that died, and gladly so.
I think that if they croak, then you can still enjoy the trip and come back and bury them then...

Why be in a hurry? Have the mortuary keep the body for a week (Or three) and bury them later....Just pay a bit more to them and have peace of mind.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:42 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
You have already purchased your tickets and you said that the person you were concerned about is demented to the point that you can't even ask her opinion. Go! Enjoy your vacation! If she dies while you are away, stay and finish your trip. Have the funeral when you return.

Don't mean to sound cold about your situation, but life is for the living - live while you can!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I think that if they croak, then you can still enjoy the trip and come back and bury them then...

Why be in a hurry? Have the mortuary keep the body for a week (Or three) and bury them later....Just pay a bit more to them and have peace of mind.
My, such a nice way with words.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
You have already purchased your tickets and you said that the person you were concerned about is demented to the point that you can't even ask her opinion. Go! Enjoy your vacation! If she dies while you are away, stay and finish your trip. Have the funeral when you return.

Don't mean to sound cold about your situation, but life is for the living - live while you can!
I agree! go have fun. If she's demented, she is obviously being taken care of by a full time care-giver or in a nursing home, so she doesn't know the difference if you're here or not.

Hopefully, she won't pass while you're gone, but maybe you can call the funeral home of her/your choice and make some kind of arrangements before you leave, just in case. Let the care-giver know the arrangements also.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:13 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
all good advice. I have actually thought about continuing with the vacation. I just know that the judge-y people in my family will be very snide about this, like "can you believe they just continued with their little European holiday". stuff like that. ugh.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
When you purchased your tickets there was probably a button to purchase trip insurance. Call British Airways or go back on there website and look for it.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
all good advice. I have actually thought about continuing with the vacation. I just know that the judge-y people in my family will be very snide about this, like "can you believe they just continued with their little European holiday". stuff like that. ugh.

Eh, f*ck 'em if they can't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel