Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,812,012 times

Advertisements

I mean, when you are about to depart from an American airport, you, of course, have to present your driver's license, resident card or passport, then take your shoes off (in many instances), go through security, go through the body scanner... That's what I'm talking about, and not returning to American soil and having to go through immigration.

For me, I have found that smaller or otherwise less-traveled airports in the heartland of the country have generally friendly and personable TSA staff; meaning; staff and I aren't looking to become best friends, but we can be amicable, civil and just human with one another. Some, however, are still on the coasts. Examples in my experience:
  • Cincinnati, OH/Northern Kentucky: A world-class airport by many measures, including service and keeping security moving generally efficiently
  • Louisville, KY: Not a fan of the city, but the airport makes for a great last impression of the city and state
  • Lexington, KY: Charming small airport, easily one of my top 10 internationally, in large part because of the security
  • Denver, CO: For a hub with long lines and a lot of activity, the staff keep the people moving and relatively unstressed
  • Sacramento, CA: An oversized airport for a city its size, but the staff and overall "feel" are generally, coincidentally amicable
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC: Not the best airport in the world, but all those NY/NJ transplants to the area haven't killed off its Southern hospitality yet
  • San Diego: Not a fan of the city, but they run this relatively small airport like a well-oiled machine, and that includes having TSA staff that generally don't act like they want to kill you.

Even so, there are some small airports where I've found TSA staff to be unfriendly and irritable. My examples:
  • Orange County, CA: Some are cheery, many are just grumpy with attitudes from hell--enough to earn a placement on this list
  • San Luis Obispo, CA: A Mississippi good ol' boy mentality in the midst of Central Coast foothills
  • Evansville, IN: They must hate the fact that they're ignored by their own state and share a boundary with Kentucky
  • Albuquerque, NM: Security are generally antithetical to the much friendlier locals to be found outside the airport

As expected, truly large airports are usually the pits for customer service by TSA--again, unfriendly and irritable. My examples:
  • Los Angeles, CA: Find a friendly TSA agent here is truly like trying to find a needle in a haystack
  • San Francisco, CA: For the best service, arrive before 6:00am or after 9:00pm, or otherwise expect long lines and surly staff
  • Chicago, IL (O'Hare): Maybe they'll cheer up after Illinois no longer has its junk bond rating...
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX: Good ol' "Dallitude"
  • Seattle: My guess is, they want you to take a little bit of the "Seattle Freeze" home with you
  • Ft. Lauderdale: Nothing like having an old guy in some thick Northeastern accent yell at you 15 times to have your driver's license ready...

What have been your experiences?

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-03-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:22 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,887,688 times
I find Reno Tahoe airport TSA is very friendly. The airport is not crowded so the line is fast.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,310,890 times
I haven't had any real bad experiences with TSA. Not a whole lot of interaction with them.. Vegas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas City have been the main ones.. I thought Kansas City was really good.. Of course, this was in 2010 or so right after they had a big blowup over something... The TSA agent was checking my nephew who was about 10 at the time, and took extra time to explain what he was doing to both him and me before he did it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 PM

61,837 posts, read 87,314,674 times
My last name starts with **, but very much Polish/Russian with the classic ending. I don't have any problems with it anywhere outside the US, but here I am always singled out: searched, patted down, scanned, my hands and the luggage handles checked for explosive residue. Every single time. US customs only. And when asked why - I was told that my last name triggered that.
I just wish they would learn the difference between an Eastern European and Arabic names...

Last edited by elnina; 07-06-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,735,203 times
JFK is the #1 worst! The TSA there must have taken their training from ex-Stasi recruits. I refuse to fly through JFK at all, ever, for any reason. Don't do it.

I also hate Bush Intl in Houston. The combined IQ points of all the TSA staff in the entire airport can't possibly be even 100. Illiterate is giving them more credit than they deserve. Because of that, I have also nixed IAH off of my airport list. Won't go there. At all. Nope.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
I can honestly say I've never had a bad TSA experience, including recent trips to San Francisco and Ft Lauderdale. I find it interesting that you don't mention Atlanta. I wouldn't either, unless it was in the thumb's up column. With the amount of traffic that goes through the checkpoints there on a daily basis, I could forgive the TSA agents for being grumpy. But the vast majority are pleasant and polite.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Frequent flyer here, and I honestly can't remember a bad TSA experience.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
Hilo, HI is great and FAST
Once, I got there 15 minutes before my flight (I mixed up the time). I got my boarding pass, went through TSA, stopped at the bathroom, and still made my flight. I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line there, usually less than 5.

Honolulu is awful. The lines wend through the lobby and out the door, and I get "randomly" pulled out for extra attention every freaking time, even when I have pre-check.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:50 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
NEVER had any problems with TSA at any airport. Period.

I treat them with respect and I get treated with respect.

If you are consistently having problems with TSA, it might be your attitude.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:12 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
NEVER had any problems with TSA at any airport. Period.
Same. I've encountered different levels of friendliness/indifference but I find the people who scream about them being mean or molesting passengers to be first class drama queens.

Are there examples out there of them stealing, behaving badly, or failing to their job? Yep, as one would expect with any group consisting of thousands of people. But at a whole given they have a pretty repetitive **** job dealing with lots of frustrated people in a hurry, I've got no problems with 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel