Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:38 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times

Advertisements

For hiking, I buy custom-printed waterproof maps with my choice of overlays -- topology, hiking trails, property lines, etc. These don't change often, so hardcopy is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I enjoy the GPS while in the car moving however at night while in the hotel/motel room I'll use a map and get the great picture of what isn't seen on the GPS screen. It's amazing how much you can miss if you don't have a paper map giving you more interesting informative details of your trip and routes.
That's what Google Maps/Google Earth are for -- you can get a road atlas overview, satellite/terrain view, and also see photos people have taken at various spots, handy for planning POI stops on the next day's travel.

One big advantage to online maps is they are constantly updated. Commercial fold-out maps and annual atlas books are always out-of-date. I bought the 10-DVD upgrade "2018 map and POI" package for my in-dash navigation, and it doesn't show the latest bypass roads, still has me taking the slowest route.

Google maps will not only show where to find a gas station on my route, but half the time also shows the price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,240 times
I do too. But, I haven't used it. I need ETA and updates on road constructions, Crash, and faster route to reach my destination so I prefer Google maps.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
DeLorme Gazeteers, you betcha. Very handy.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:13 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Analog GPS? Love them. As has been said, it allows you to get away from the tunnel vision that GPS provides and take in a bigger picture, different routes, different attractions. I will always have a soft spot for actual maps.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Yes, I carry maps in both vehicles. These maps have one huge advantage over electronics. They work 100% of the time ........cause they don't need batteries plus they always work where ever you are at.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Yes, I carry maps in both vehicles. These maps have one huge advantage over electronics. They work 100% of the time ........cause they don't need batteries plus they always work where ever you are at.
I have never had a GPS failure in all the years I've been using one. And anyone with a newer vehicle has triple redundancy. You can use the onboard navigation system, your smart phone's Maps via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto or your smart phone as a standalone navigation device. On a long trip I'll also throw a Garmin Nuvi on the dash, so that's a forth navigation option. Even if you only have the latter available to you, I've never had a Garmin fail. The only paper I carry is a Rand McNally road atlas, and only for route planning, not as a backup. The dead battery argument is a specious one. Just keep a charging cable in your vehicle. You need one anyway for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. That's what those USB ports are for.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Yes, I carry maps on trips, the big Gazetteers someone else mentioned above. While I plan my route out in advance, I like to be able to pull up the big picture in case I change my mind.

I've seen Google maps make enough errors in rural mountainous areas that I don't rely on it (people using Google to navigate to our old house were told to turn up a private driveway then drive across a cow track - that had a fence in the middle of it).

Last year, for instance, there was a surprise late snow in the Blue Mountains - we were towing our trailer, there was zero cell service and the Garmin insisted the only alternate route involved turning on a gravel Forest Service road. Hmmm, NO. Having the map let me re-route us easily.

In town, looking for a street address, sure I crosscheck my phone and my Garmin GPS (they frequently disagree) before I look at a paper map. When we were in Washington DC I had a metro map and then just used Google maps to find various things.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
I have road maps of Kansas, Missouri, and Colorado, none of which I ever use. I have a a 50 state road atlas book as well. I enjoy looking at and using the road atlas, but honestly, my smart phone gps is used 95% of the time during actual travels. I love maps, atlas’s, and globes, especially old ones. I have a handful of antique ones and it’s fun to see how the US and world has changed overtime on the maps. Google Maps is not wrong very often anymore, I remember my first GPS was wrong probably 25% of the time and was a hassle to use, but anymore they are seldom wrong and can account for things like road construction, weather delays, accidents, etc. Maps simply can’t do that, but it’s always nice to have a backup in paper form.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have never had a GPS failure in all the years I've been using one. And anyone with a newer vehicle has triple redundancy. You can use the onboard navigation system, your smart phone's Maps via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto or your smart phone as a standalone navigation device. On a long trip I'll also throw a Garmin Nuvi on the dash, so that's a forth navigation option. Even if you only have the latter available to you, I've never had a Garmin fail. The only paper I carry is a Rand McNally road atlas, and only for route planning, not as a backup. The dead battery argument is a specious one. Just keep a charging cable in your vehicle. You need one anyway for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. That's what those USB ports are for.
You must have stock in Garmin! As to the batteries question.....not all cars have usb ports.

And yes, maps work no matter where you are at no matter what.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:26 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
You must have stock in Garmin! As to the batteries question.....not all cars have usb ports.
If they don't have a usb port, they more than likely have a cigarette lighter.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel