Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Of course there is no way to verify who really has allergies. Most airlines stopped serving nuts a while ago.
It's now all about overhead carry in luggage space. Who goes in first get the space, when it's all full, the rest of passengers need to check it in.
Airlines are cramming in more and more seats, but the overhead space remains the same, and of course gets full quickly.
It's sucks.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/want-...-rules-1324387

BTW: what about passengers who bring their own nuts?????
Back when my daughter was young, we were asked to bring a doctors note. We did. And that’s still an easy way to verify today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
My daughter is 30 and was one of the early peanut allergic kids. Flying was a huge pain and we had to jump thru hoops so peanuts would not be served on flights she was on.
She carried an epipen, benedryl and mask with her and we primarily flew first class so we could board early.
Luckily she never had a problem flying but calling her or other allergic people “special snowflakes” because people with this allergy would like extra time to wipe down their seats is an asinine thing to say. It’s totally different than dipstick people flying with fake service animals which should be banned.

People die and die quickly from this allergy.

Happy to say, she eventually outgrew the allergy in her late 20’s but is still allergic to cashews and pistachios.
The special snowflakes are the fake claimants. I did not intend to disparage those with real and serious allergies.

I'm glad she outgrew this .

Old 11-10-2018, 07:07 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Most important, the movie theater seats are not assigned.

I'm guessing You haven't been to the movies in a long time.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
If you're that damn allergic don't fly.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm guessing You haven't been to the movies in a long time.
Wrong guess. I went recently. Seats were not assigned in any movie theater I’ve been to, whether megaplex chain or small indie venue.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Let them eat cake?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
And don't go to school either?

In this country the rate of severe allergies has tripled in recent years, especially among the Australian born children of Asian immigrants. We actually know about three people whose children fall into this category. One chose to leave her child with the grandparents when she needed to go to her former country for a family emergency. That is not always possible for everyone. There is no consensus on why the rate is going up nor why we have a high rate of asthma.

But airlines do not serve nuts and most schools ban nuts and nut products such as peanut butter and Nutella being brought to school. Most children here usually take a picnic type lunch from home.

I can not see any advantage in preboarding people with allergies but as many allergic people are actually children they would come under the early boarding for families category.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Not all airlines completely ban peanuts.

The peanut allergen is found mostly on surfaces, not in the air, and can be removed by wiping them down with moistened wipes. Peanut allergy is a food allergy; the reaction occurs due to ingesting peanut protein, not inhaling it. That is why allowing people with peanut allergy to preboard and have time to wipe down tray tables and armrests is a reasonable accommodation.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-yo...eanut-allergy/

Old 11-11-2018, 02:25 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not all airlines completely ban peanuts.

The peanut allergen is found mostly on surfaces, not in the air, and can be removed by wiping them down with moistened wipes. Peanut allergy is a food allergy; the reaction occurs due to ingesting peanut protein, not inhaling it. That is why allowing people with peanut allergy to preboard and have time to wipe down tray tables and armrests is a reasonable accommodation.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-yo...eanut-allergy/
Thanks Suzy. I've been under the impression that "peanut dust" is deadly for the allergic.

“One of the more common misperceptions we deal with is this concern that peanut dust will somehow aerosolize,” Dr. Matthew Greenhawt, associate professor of pediatrics and the director of the Food Challenge and Research Unit of Children’s Hospital Colorado in Aurora, Colorado, said in a phone interview. “Look, if you have a peanut allergy, you absolutely can fly and do it safely. I see too many families that often don’t go on a vacation because they’re scared to fly. It’s robbing them of the opportunity to live their lives.”

And in my mind I was thinking then there's no logical answer!

Old 11-11-2018, 04:39 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I don't care if they board early. The plane isn't going to leave until everyone is aboard. I'd rather wait in the airport than to wait in the plane.

Of course, the problem with boarding late is no more bin space. I wish the airlines would enforce the limits on carry-on size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel