Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

I can't even remember the last time I was offered peanuts on a flight. Half the flights, I'm lucky to get a couple of pretzels. Often, it is nothing.

However, because I know I won't be fed on the flight and I don't want to pay airport prices for food, I tend to carry snacks and those snacks might be peanut M&Ms, so just because the airline doesn't serve peanuts that doesn't mean that no peanuts have been on the plane.

I don't rub my peanut M&Ms on the seats or armrests, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
My last flight nothing was offered that you didn't have to pay for. Anyway, ban peanuts AND clean the seats, people have allergies to dogs too and they are on planes now. I don't care about the cost of cleaning and no one simply HAS to have peanuts during the flight.

I remember with nostalgia we used to be given yummy honey roasted peanuts on flights, but that is all it is, nostalgia.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My last flight nothing was offered that you didn't have to pay for. Anyway, ban peanuts AND clean the seats, people have allergies to dogs too and they are on planes now. I don't care about the cost of cleaning and no one simply HAS to have peanuts during the flight.

I remember with nostalgia we used to be given yummy honey roasted peanuts on flights, but that is all it is, nostalgia.
I remember when we used to have entire meals, not so yummy but that's another story, on regular flights!

Old 11-12-2018, 03:43 AM

27,196 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Can you imagine people trying to game the system with this?

How, exactly, is AA going to monitor and enforce this? Do allergy sufferers carry a doctor's note or some form of ID showing allergies?

Maybe next time I fly AA, I should tell the agent at the boarding gate that I have lactose intolerance so pretty please can I board priority.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...-nut-allergies
Perhaps if they just cleaned their planes more often using more natural products (mites and bugs being a major sourced of allergies), improved air quality on planes and printed clearer ingredients on food menus things would improve.

Whilst limiting animals on board to assistance animals only in relation to the handicapped would also help.

However I don't think early boarding is going to solve anything.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

But since you dislike the prospect of paying for clean seats, why should airlines EVER bother cleaning the seats at all. Just let them get dirtier and dirtier for years.
I like clean seats--but I do not expect the airline to clean them between flights. The aircraft is cleaned thoroughly every night.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wrong guess. I went recently. Seats were not assigned in any movie theater I’ve been to, whether megaplex chain or small indie venue.
I'm genuinely surprised! in my area, it's the theaters with recliners that all go to assigned seating.

We have about 10 movie theaters within a 10 mile radius of our home. Two are old historic, non-profit entities that show indies and film festivals, no assigned seating. Four already have recliners with assigned seating. Two theaters are under renovation, adding recliners and assigned seating - one will be completed by year end, the other by memorial day (both AMC). The remaining two are older buildings that I would not expect to change.

We visited Phoenix in September and saw that a lot of the theaters had changed to assigned recliner seating, too.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Who cares? I don't understand why anyone would want to sit on a plane any longer than they have to. Especially when the air circulation isn't on yet.
Right! I be happy to be the last person on board. Even with my kids I try to board with last group.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Of course there is no way to verify who really has allergies. Most airlines stopped serving nuts a while ago.
It's now all about overhead carry in luggage space. Who goes in first get the space, when it's all full, the rest of passengers need to check it in.
Airlines are cramming in more and more seats, but the overhead space remains the same, and of course gets full quickly.
It's sucks.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/want-...-rules-1324387

BTW: what about passengers who bring their own nuts?????
I find it easier to put my carry on under the seat anyway. Then I sit and laugh at the rubes shoving, readjusting, shoving, blocking the aisle, and then shoving some more. People travel with too much anyway. We're off on an international vacation next week and we'll probably only have a few bags (carry on or otherwise) for four of us.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The special snowflakes are the fake claimants. I did not intend to disparage those with real and serious allergies.

I'm glad she outgrew this .
Fake claimants? Really, fake? And just how often does that happen and why would someone do that, and how do know they are faking? Not putting on enough of a dramatic suffering show for you doctor to satisfy your sadistic curiosity?

She didn't "outgrew", no, her body chemistry changed. You make it sound like the cause was lack of maturity. You don't "outgrew" cancer, they treat it or goes into remission. Allergies can do the same thing, it can go away and come back.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Fake claimants? Really, fake? And just how often does that happen and why would someone do that, and how do know they are faking? Not putting on enough of a dramatic suffering show for you doctor to satisfy your sadistic curiosity?

She didn't "outgrew", no, her body chemistry changed. You make it sound like the cause was lack of maturity. You don't "outgrew" cancer, they treat it or goes into remission. Allergies can do the same thing, it can go away and come back.

We are so used to people taking advantage of the system that after a while wet just see "red". Everybody is faking it to benefit ...but I know that's not the case.
Peanut allergy will kill a person. Who wants to even play around with that.
If bording that group somehow help people be safe then why on earth not? !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel