Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I stayed in NYC a couple years back over the Christmas/New Years week. It was fine, hit all the landmarks:

1. Trade Center/Memorial
2. Ice Skated in Rockefeller ("rink" was tiny and it was expensive, tree that looks so nice on TV looked raggedy in person)
3. Everything was overpriced, but the service was very very good. Nobu was cool but the prices were double what they should have been. Relied on TripAdvisor for restaurant recommendations for local places, every one we tried was great!

Would I race back? No, but hey its NYC! Walking around Times Square at 1am, seemed ok never once felt unsafe.
NYC is one of the safest cities in the world & the best!

Kinda biased 'cuz I live here but … true. Wouldn't be here 37 years if it weren't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Love NY. Feels like home. Buzz, crowds, food smells good, people dress well (at least some), lots of place to see, things to do, and the Central Park is beautiful.
NY people can seem rude to folks from rural areas. "Thnks" in NY goes for "Thank you much, dear, and have a good rest of your afternoon" at the store register, but I like it more. Asking for directions a man with a heavy load on his shoulders I think is more rude (because it's inconsiderate with a taste of entitlement) than his response.
I'd like to move there.
NYers are not rude, it's just that we often have places to go and people to see. It's not that I don't want to help you, but when you ask me how to get to such & such place when I'm already late to work b/c the subway broke down, my first priority is to get myself to work not to help you.

NY is a fast-paced place. People are always going somewhere and don't often have the time to chit chat. It doesn't mean we're rude, we just have our priorities straighter than most people.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYers are not rude, it's just that we often have places to go and people to see. It's not that I don't want to help you, but when you ask me how to get to such & such place when I'm already late to work b/c the subway broke down, my first priority is to get myself to work not to help you.

NY is a fast-paced place. People are always going somewhere and don't often have the time to chit chat. It doesn't mean we're rude, we just have our priorities straighter than most people.
I don't get the idea that NY is more fast paced, it's just more crowded. People have to go to work everywhere. It all depends on whether or not people are in a rush. So you are more likely to get help from a stranger at 9PM than 6:30AM.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I don't get the idea that NY is more fast paced, it's just more crowded. People have to go to work everywhere. It all depends on whether or not people are in a rush. So you are more likely to get help from a stranger at 9PM than 6:30AM.
Yes people work everywhere but NYC is def more of a fast-paced way of life. People are always rushing to get somewhere

Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Black neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods. Pretty much any neighborhood that's neither a recent Italian neighborhood or food destination neighborhood.

With some exceptions of course
Come on. People of all nationalities like pizza.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:12 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
You're in the vast minority of VISITORS to NYC, whose opinions you asked for, if you think NYC is not fast paced. Most visitors go to Manhattan, not the suburbs (like North Brooklyn), and Manhattan is homogenized compared to what it used to be. I left NYC a little over a year ago and am now a frequent visitor, therefore one of the people you asked for an opinion and you've done nothing but argue when none of us asked for your thoughts, as well as accused me of being out of the loop. Further, I didn't say anything about drugstore chains competing with bodegas. If you don't like bodegas, go to 7-11 for your smoking paraphernalia and don't ask other people what they think.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Come on. People of all nationalities like pizza.
Of course, but you'll find way more Italian restaurants in Italian neighborhoods obviously. Or the gentrified neighborhoods that have a high diversity in restaurants.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Of course, but you'll find way more Italian restaurants in Italian neighborhoods obviously. Or the gentrified neighborhoods that have a high diversity in restaurants.
But that doesn't mean you can't find them at all in minority neighborhoods like you previously alluded to.

The best pizza place that I've found is in a predominately Black/Hispanic area.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yes people work everywhere but NYC is def more of a fast-paced way of life. People are always rushing to get somewhere
I mean, if they're running late then yes. I walk fast but I'm never in a rush to go anywhere.

People are in a rush everywhere, but with NYC and other large urban cities, you see many pesestrians walking quickly. While in LA or Atlanta, they'd be stuck in cars (a bit of a generlization both ways but you get the idea).

Old 02-20-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
But that doesn't mean you can't find them at all in minority neighborhoods like you previously alluded to.

The best pizza place that I've found is in a predominately Black/Hispanic area.
I never said you couldn't find any pizza, I meant that you wouldn"t find as many Italian restaurants in minority neighborhoods. There are exceptions of course, like Belmont in The Bronx which is now an overwhelmingly Hispanic neighborhood, but has a bunch of Italian restaurants which being in a lot of local tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel