Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is why I mentioned the lines getting blurred. Tesco and Asda as far as I understand, started out as grocery stores with a pharmacy. Walmart added groceries later.

However I think we both agree, that a European or someone from the UK isn't awed by choice in the US, but perhaps was struck that a
" Pharmacie" had so much selection.
Oh OK, now I am intrigued, what would you get in a pharmacy 'over there' that you wouldn't get 'over here'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
My experience was about a month ago. In town we have a baseball field that is flooded in winter so kids can go ice skating. It's surrounded by a couple of big hills and trees. My daughter really wanted to go ice skating one Saturday, so I dragged myself out of bed to take her. The place we go is right next to where I work.

At one point, several cars pulled up with license plates from the southwest. A bunch of "visitors" came out with cameras, GoPros, and cell phones. One lady remarked to her husband, "I can't believe we really came this far out of the way, but this place is amazing!." Others were videoing themselves walking around on the ice with the background.

I kind of looked at our surroundings in a different way. I saw the giant pine trees covered in snow, the flakes slowly meandering their way from the sky to the ground, the crackling wood fire next to the ball field maintained by the staff, and just the beauty of it all.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
-workaholic environment (short vacations and people working on vacations)
My husband just went out of the country to another office for his company.

He said, "Boy, I look like the lax one at my office? This office blows me out of the water."

Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This subject has been covered on the NYC forum. Some of it is predictable, such as "why the hell would anyone in their right mind want to go to Times Square????" or things like the Statue of Liberty, a popular tourist attraction that no one in NYC notices anymore.

Another one for me would be that "Imagine" circle in Central Park, a tribute to John Lennon. When they first made it, my friend and I went in to the city to see it, and we were underwhelmed. We said in unison, "That's IT?"

The strangest one, though, is that if you go into Central Park or Battery Park or any park in the city where tourists might go, you will always find a group looking at SQUIRRELS and laughing, taking pictures of them, etc. SQUIRRELS. You've traveled to one of the most famous cities on the planet, the largest one in the United States, and it's squirrels that you find fascinating?

Foreign posters, do you not have squirrels where you come from?
Nope, no squirrels in Australia. Still the favourite thing for my children when we come to America. You'd think after the 10th visit the novelty would wear off, but no.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

While I have no desire to ever go up into the arch again, I do love it. Where I used to live, you could see it from the park across the street from my house. Any time we drive into the city, I like to announce the first glimpse of the arch from the highway. And it's always a welcome sight when returning home from a long road trip. It gives some much-needed energy to the end of the trip "I see the arch! We're almost home!" And the 4th of July! I'm glad it's been moved back to the Arch grounds as there is no better place (IMHO) to watch fireworks then laying on a blanket underneath the arch.
I will be in your city in a coupe of weeks and am very much looking forward to going up in the arch.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The strangest one, though, is that if you go into Central Park or Battery Park or any park in the city where tourists might go, you will always find a group looking at SQUIRRELS and laughing, taking pictures of them, etc. SQUIRRELS. You've traveled to one of the most famous cities on the planet, the largest one in the United States, and it's squirrels that you find fascinating?

I had been living in South Florida for 6 years when I first visited New York. I suppose we have squirrels in South Florida, but I honestly don't remember seeing them there. What I do remember is seeing some in Central Park, and finding them to be so noteworthy that I did indeed take pictures of them.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh OK, now I am intrigued, what would you get in a pharmacy 'over there' that you wouldn't get 'over here'?
When I'm using the term " Pharmacie " I'm meaning the small, prescription focused shops with the neon green crosses for their signs, seen in continental Europe. So a person from France, may express surprise that the " Pharmacie " in the US has so much selection in the context of what they think a " Pharmacie " is.

When I'm using the term Drug Store, I'm referring to the type you see in Canada like this one in BC, which unlike " pharmacies " sells computers, televisions, all sorts of electronics, microwaves, camping accessories, home decor items, kitchen supplies, coffee makes, kettles, large selection of chocolates, candies, cookies ( biscuits ), a post office, and on and on.

Here their link. As you can tell, they've gone way beyond just selling drugs.

https://www.londondrugs.com

Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I will be in your city in a coupe of weeks and am very much looking forward to going up in the arch.

I've been to St. Louis exactly once in my life. Yep, I went up to the top of the Arch. Absolutely fascinating. If I lived there, I doubt I'd go up all that often. But if I ever find myself there again as a visitor, I would surely go up in the Arch again.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Visitors from Israel were fascinated by squirrels. Also very excited about seeing deer.

People wanting to see quaint New England town centers, with the white church with the steeple, and the village green. To me they're just every town in New England.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
All this talk of 'squirrels'; I thought the little critters were living just about everywhere on the planet, are they only native to Europe and the US? We have so many of the little buggers that I think they have to be culled (not sure), we also seem to be infested with rabbits, I reckon the British fox population is doing OK right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel