Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:34 PM

276 posts, read 204,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
They're actually more common in the off-season during times when hotels otherwise struggle to fill rooms.
I travel during busy seasons, during the holidays and the summer, and the hotel coupon books are just as available then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Sure, since places like Monticrllo Utah or Cortez Colorado need a hotel that can hold more than the town's entire population, just in case...
I was exaggerating when I was talking about the 432 Park Avenue building, but it would be nice if some hotels did have more rooms.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Im not a professional developer.
You don't say!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Riiiigghhhtttt.... because a high rise hotel would look fantastic in rural West Virginia - or rural anywhere for that matter.

When I travel without a reservation (which is how I prefer it), I try to stop around 6pm to find a room. I'll have been on the road since at least 8am, usually much earlier. That way, if I can't find one, I still have time to drive a ways to get another one.

Oh, and I've been doing this since the days of a flip phone and pay phones. I've never had an issue.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Riiiigghhhtttt.... because a high rise hotel would look fantastic in rural West Virginia - or rural anywhere for that matter.

When I travel without a reservation (which is how I prefer it), I try to stop around 6pm to find a room. I'll have been on the road since at least 8am, usually much earlier. That way, if I can't find one, I still have time to drive a ways to get another one.

Oh, and I've been doing this since the days of a flip phone and pay phones. I've never had an issue.
How about if you're traveling through time zones where you lose an hour?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
I sometimes take big long road trips and there are few things as frustrating as trying to check into a hotel room late at night, after a long day of driving, and being told they're out of rooms. For that reason, if you ask me hotels should build more floors and more rooms. Just like some of the super tall skyscrapers in NYC that's what hotels should be like. The 432 Park Avenue building in Manhattan is an excellent example. The 432 Park Avenue building which is the tallest residential building in the world and the second tallest building in NYC after the One World Trade Center is what all hotels should be like, that way they will most likely never run out of rooms.
Quote:
Often when you're on the road, from my experience, you don't know just how far you will drive before you stop so you have to improvise. To give you an idea of how much I travel, I've got a car that I got brand new back in mid 2014 and by now I've put on over a quarter million miles on it.

Also, you can sometimes get really good discounts on rooms with coupon books that you find at rest stops, such coupons however are only good for walk ins, not for booking ahead.
432 Park Avenue cost 1.25 Billion dollars to construct. The roach motels you're describing in the last line are usually a few million.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
How about if you're traveling through time zones where you lose an hour?
I drive in reverse until I get back to the proper time zone to get a room. Duh.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I drive in reverse until I get back to the proper time zone to get a room. Duh.
Don't make silly posts.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Don't make silly posts.
You first.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Hotels size is based on a certain number of rooms they can fill 365 days a year. They know some days they will be fully occupied but they know to have enough rooms for everyone on a few days a year, would mean a lot of empty rooms at other times which would mean the hotel/motel would lose money instead of being profitable.

You want to travel on the cheap, with a car that is near worn out and expect to always find a room waiting for you, that is not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel