Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I find the Asian tourists to be even more annoying than most. YMMV.
I know this sounds horrible, but all of our recent trips have had the same issue. Huge masses of Asian tourists that have no concern for anyone else around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 05:47 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The bigger they come, the harder they fall.
NOT in this instance................

Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
For all the folks who don't like big urban cities like NYC, LA, San Francisco, etc, were you raised in the suburbs or currently live in suburbs?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I find the Asian tourists to be even more annoying than most. YMMV.
When I was in Hawaii I was offended by the Japanese tourists pushing me off the sidewalk and just barreling through. Then I wondered if their sense of personal space was different from mine due to cultural reasons.

I've never been to Japan but pictures I've seen depict mass of people in crowded conditions, living in houses that we would consider too small for the number of people living there.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
The French Riviera, nothing particularly special about it.
Bali; but I guess I knew it would be full of bogans from my homeland!
Copenhagen, we found the famous statue but it was so small.
Our experience was different, although there was a boisterous group of drunk Australians on the plane from Singapore to Denpasar.

We stayed in a three villa compound near the end of a dirt road on the western side of Bali. At 5 pm, locals on small motorbikes headed down the road to park and walk down to a black sand beach to play soccer with bamboo goalposts they put up. Terraced rice paddies were nearby with a deep river gorge and a view of volcanoes in the distance. We found offerings on the beach and around the villa grounds.

We were 90 minutes away from the southern tourist destinations and crowds. We visited Tenah Lot and a few other recommended attractions. If the crowded areas were all we had seen of Bali, we would have been underwhelmed. Instead, we would love to go back again.

my photos
Attachment 213447
Attachment 213448
Attachment 213451

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
When I was in Hawaii I was offended by the Japanese tourists pushing me off the sidewalk and just barreling through. Then I wondered if their sense of personal space was different from mine due to cultural reasons.

I've never been to Japan but pictures I've seen depict mass of people in crowded conditions, living in houses that we would consider too small for the number of people living there.
That does not sound the least bit like Japanese culture. You probably think all Asians are the same cuz, y’know, “they all look alike”.

White people all look alike to those brought up in places where others are the majority.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:32 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
NYC.
D.C.
Florida (yes, all of it)
Turks and Caicos (snore)
Jamaica (dump)
Italy
Hmm... that's interesting.

So, please name some places you like.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That does not sound the least bit like Japanese culture. You probably think all Asians are the same cuz, y’know, “they all look alike”.

White people all look alike to those brought up in places where others are the majority.
I'll not go as far as this reaction did to the "....Japanese tourists pushing me..." post, I wasn't there so don't know what's what. But I did have the same immediate reaction in that: 1- it doesn't sound much like the generally very courteous Japanese folks I have met/worked with in my life 2- it does remind me quite a lot of the new waves of Chinese tourists who travel in insular group tours & are unsophisticated in dealings with other people not in their tour.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'll not go as far as this reaction did to the "....Japanese tourists pushing me..." post, I wasn't there so don't know what's what. But I did have the same immediate reaction in that: 1- it doesn't sound much like the generally very courteous Japanese folks I have met/worked with in my life 2- it does remind me quite a lot of the new waves of Chinese tourists who travel in insular group tours & are unsophisticated in dealings with other people not in their tour.
Tour groups from all over tend to be loud, a bit pushy, and full of themselves. It is the human herd mentality. Take out the word “tour” and it still holds, very often. Camp next to a group in a campground, or wait in line with a large group of people who are friends with each other, or sit at a restaurant table near a family reunion, or have a peaceful session of swimming or paddling at a lake when an “adventure group” crashes in. ALL tend to be noisy and blissfully unaware of how they impact others nearby.

It is not restricted to race or nationality, though in some countries people are inured to crowding. I heard a Mexican comedian making fun of US residents for thinking they need huge cars and houses for just a few people. This was mocking the US deriding Mexicans (and Asians) for somehow existing with a big family in a small house or car.

Since one benefit of traveling is to observe and, hopefully, understand how other people live, ditching the air of superiority manifested by some US chauvinists would be a good start.

The rest of the world does not exist to serve as a playground for wealthy travelers.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:33 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Actually I had the exact opposite experience where a place I always had a negative stereotype about turned into a positive experience. I always thought of Las Vegas as some tawdry, superficial place in the middle of nowhere where people threw away their money trying to pretend that it didn't matter.

Turns out I like that!

(Except for the throwing away money part - I don't gamble. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel