Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,006,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Same at Chichen Itza -- great birdwatching before the tour buses arrive.
The Hotel Resort Mayaland has its own entrance to Chichen Itza, and it opens one hour earlier than the main park entrance. From our room we could see the Observatory.

You can get to the all the temples before even the vendors do. It was great - we had the park all to ourselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,680,407 times
When I first started traveling I expected some miraculous experiences. Many people rave about traveling and it seems to be a cool thing to be into, whether you are young or old. Plus, when you say you like to travel a lot, I do think you are implying you have the wealth to do so.

My first few travels, I didn't get the experience I would see on t.v., as if this were the greatest thing that would ever happen to me. I hate tourist areas, so I go to more out of the way locations as well as the touristy ones.

I haven't gone to Paris yet, but I'm sure when I see the Eiffel Tower, I'll be like yep, there it is, looks just like the pictures, let's go get something to eat. It'd be cool to see Paris, especially knowing some of the history of it, but I don't expect a life-changing experience.

I like history and like to visit areas with historical significance, so Los Vegas or Los Angeles has no appeal to me at all. One thing I do recommend is everyone from a 1st world country visit a 3rd world country at some point. If you learn to appreciate what a 3rd world country has to offer, besides the tourist sections, then it keeps your 1st world life in perspective.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Dubai-souless, seems like it would be very boring unless you are super rich.

Prague-overrun with tourists and tacky "absinthe" shops.

Bali-dirty, unimpressive beaches, terrible traffic, annoying taxi drivers and touts.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't like New York City. It's filthy dirty, odoriferous, loud, dangerous, and both times I was there it was hotter than Hades and humid.

Unless you have a lot of money, there really isn't much to do there. There are other really tall buildings elsewhere to look at and be amazed. You don't have to go to NYC to see tall buildings.

In contrast to the city's reputation, I found the locals to be quite friendly, which was a surprise.
I was hoping that our sons (11, 6 and 2) would never ask to go to NYC...........alas, the two oldest have developed an interest in the Statue of Liberty. (And since we transfer in Newark whenever we fly, they have actually "seen" it, which really got them revved up).
I guess we'll just have to bite the bullet someday soon.
lol

Last edited by maineguy8888; 06-17-2019 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I experienced this in Macchu Pichu. I'm not sure what I was expecting, probably some out-of-body experience lol, but it was just crawling with tourists. I was so disappointed.
You have to expect that a place like that is going to be swarming with tourists … I mean were you expecting it to be empty?

They have in recent years capped the amount of people allowed to visit per day

Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Be at the gates when they open early in the morning. All you've got is folks who stayed in town down the mountain or on the fancy resort waiting at the gate, so it's pretty sparse and you can get a nice spot up top to watch dawn burn off the clouds with amazing views then explore without the mobs.

The hordes from Cuzco start arriving on the train in the late morning, that's when it all goes to ****.
I agree with this. Also walk up from Aguas Calientes, don't take the bus. If you start your walk way before the buses get there, you'll have a lil bit of tranquility before the masses come.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't like New York City. It's filthy dirty, odoriferous, loud, dangerous, and both times I was there it was hotter than Hades and humid.

Unless you have a lot of money, there really isn't much to do there. There are other really tall buildings elsewhere to look at and be amazed. You don't have to go to NYC to see tall buildings.

In contrast to the city's reputation, I found the locals to be quite friendly, which was a surprise.
How is NYC dangerous? It's one of the safest cities in the world …

Tons of free stuff to do. Central Park, Bryant Park, Washington Sq Park, Staten Island Ferry to name a few ...

Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
New York was a let down for me but still I had to admit it was in relatively good shape and it had some major historical things to see. Just wayyy too crowded and dirty.

But for me Los Angeles was the worst. I could not believe how the city looked like it hadn't been updated since the Brady Bunch days. And Beverly Hills was not even as nice as some local nice towns where I live. Hollywood was a complete skank town and things were generally run down and not taken care of.
Yes. LA is disgusting. I was horrified at how unkept it was. Not impressed with Beverly Hills. I did enjoy a hike to Griffith Observatory.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,986 times
Disappointing:
-Los Angeles
-Portland, Oregon
-Puerto Rico
-Rome

Old 06-17-2019, 01:14 PM

327 posts, read 457,012 times
Boston. Visited many times but don't see the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel