Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't like New York City. It's filthy dirty, odoriferous, loud, dangerous, and both times I was there it was hotter than Hades and humid.

Unless you have a lot of money, there really isn't much to do there. There are other really tall buildings elsewhere to look at and be amazed. You don't have to go to NYC to see tall buildings.

In contrast to the city's reputation, I found the locals to be quite friendly, which was a surprise.
?? Huh? There's a ton of things to do. Historical monuments (free or low cost), museums & art galleries (free on certain days), Broadway shows (reduced price tickets available daily), free seminars and talks, boat trips down the Hudson River, TV show tapings, various zoos and botanical gardens, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 01:25 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
I don't like New York City. It's filthy dirty, odoriferous, loud, dangerous, and both times I was there it was hotter than Hades and humid.

Unless you have a lot of money, there really isn't much to do there. There are other really tall buildings elsewhere to look at and be amazed. You don't have to go to NYC to see tall buildings.

In contrast to the city's reputation, I found the locals to be quite friendly, which was a surprise.
I’ve been to NYC many times, and that doesn’t jive with my experiences. Unless you head to certain dicey spots in the outer boroughs or hit parts of Washington Heights or Harlem at off hours, the city doesn’t strike me as dangerous. Certainly not in touristed areas, for sure.

I also didn’t find the city any dirtier or smellier than any other city. It can get hot and humid in the dead of summer, but then again you can say that about a lot of US cities. It can also get loud, but so can lots of other US cities.

There are also a ton of things to do. Some things require a decent outlay of cash, but not all. Several museums have free visiting hours, the Staten Island Ferry is free to ride, and one can walk around and see world-class architecture and interesting neighborhoods for no money.

Sure, one can go to many cities and see tall buildings. Those in NYC are wonderful, though, including the Flatiron Building, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Woolworth Building, and many more.

Several restaurants are costly as well, but you can eat at places like Gray’s Papaya for practically nothing.

Planning ahead can enhance one’s stay in NYC, or any other city for that matter.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Be at the gates when they open early in the morning. All you've got is folks who stayed in town down the mountain or on the fancy resort waiting at the gate, so it's pretty sparse and you can get a nice spot up top to watch dawn burn off the clouds with amazing views then explore without the mobs.

The hordes from Cuzco start arriving on the train in the late morning, that's when it all goes to ****.
I did the four day trek to arrive at the sun gate at dawn and it was beyond spectacular. I can't imagine the experience would anywhere near the same ballpark if I entered through the visitor center.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
New York was a let down for me but still I had to admit it was in relatively good shape and it had some major historical things to see. Just wayyy too crowded and dirty.

But for me Los Angeles was the worst. I could not believe how the city looked like it hadn't been updated since the Brady Bunch days. And Beverly Hills was not even as nice as some local nice towns where I live. Hollywood was a complete skank town and things were generally run down and not taken care of.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:

Agree 10000000%.

I have to go to NYC periodically for work travel. I try never to stay more than 48 hours.

When I was in high school my dream in life was to visit NYC. I was sure I'd love it and want to move there as soon as I could. I absolutely loathed it. I still do. I understand that others love it, it's a great city whatever. It's just nowhere I ever want to spend time.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
<SNIP>
Bucket list places like Machu Picchu, or maybe Venice, are swarming with tourists and the services that tourists require. I think I would shoot myself if I had to go back to the Sistine Chapel. On the other hand, going to the Grand Canyon in December was wonderful as I had the place almost to myself...far different without the usual crowds.

Ditto on the Sistine Chapel. That was so underwhelming. It rather came across as a large white barn with some nice paintings on the ceiling. Almost quilt like, big splatches of color on a white background. Plus painting the drapery on the wall did nothing to keep down the echoing. Not that wall to wall tourists murmuring wasn't going to make it any less quiet, along with the various Vatican people telling the tourists to be quiet.

I did enjoy the rest of the Vatican much more than I expected to, though. And St. Peter's Basilica was amazing. Actually, I really enjoyed Rome, rather a lot! I'd not expected that at all.

It was seething with tourists pretty much everywhere we went and they said we were there in the 'off season', if so, it must be a zoo during peak season.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I agree. I think the only time I was disappointed in something was when we last went on vacation---constantly being harassed to not only buy things but to buy drugs (and I mean non-stop) is very off-putting to me.
I recommend purchasing some of these drugs on occasion. You'll be truly amazed at how your vacation evolves seemingly on its own.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
as i have posted in another thread: San Francisco.
although i go there on business, since that is my home office,
and everything was free to me, i would not PAY to go back.
the last 3 years have been heartbreaking.
human filth, drug residue, and accompanying stench.
reminds me of New Delhi.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 PM

135 posts, read 89,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
as i have posted in another thread: San Francisco.
although i go there on business, since that is my home office,
and everything was free to me, i would not PAY to go back.
the last 3 years have been heartbreaking.
human filth, drug residue, and accompanying stench.
reminds me of New Delhi.
I agree. I visited San Francisco a few months ago and there were bums all over the place. I had a hard time buying tickets from the machines at a BART station because the heroin addicts kept harassing me.

Why people pay an exorbitant amount of money to live there is beyond me.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Paris, France. A nice city:: very good museums, restaurants, historical significance, shopping, etc. But, lots of beggars, bums, and parts of the city and the Paris Metro is not that clean. I was underwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel