Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

NYC.
D.C.
Florida (yes, all of it)
Turks and Caicos (snore)
Jamaica (dump)
Italy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:41 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I know there are going to be people on here who will disagree with me, but I visited Japan recently and although most of the people were polite, I wasn't amazed by it like I thought I would be.

I got some head bows and they are generally polite although reserved, but most of them were just ordinary people going about their business. Many of them seemed like they were in a rush. The only real over the top politeness I got was from a few service people, but they were being paid to be nice. I've visited plenty of other places with nice and polite people, like the southern and midwestern parts of the U.S., as well as other places in the world.

I just don't see how the Japanese are that different from other people. Human nature is about the same anywhere.

Yes, the beaches of Southern California. Still summertime and hot, but they were mostly deserted. I ran all the way down the promenade from Santa Monica to the L. A. harbor channel and did not see a single other runner. There were two women on skates. No surfers at all, except for a few teenage boys at Malibu. No one anywhere besides myself, paddling a kayak. The famous weightlifting workout area at Muscle Beach was empty, whenever I passed. So I ditched my plan to move there and work for a few years and headed home, where there was plenty of my kind of action and much cleaner air, except for field-burning time, in August.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I can't understand where you people are getting overrun with tourists.

i use booking.com. I filter for lowest price, and half the time, I'm the only tourist in the hotel. And I've never given one a bad review. One of us must be doing something wrong.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never b*tch about the city. I do b*tch about the tourists!
I legit go to other cities and then I get sad that there aren't rats, lol

Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM

15 posts, read 13,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I know there are going to be people on here who will disagree with me, but I visited Japan recently and although most of the people were polite, I wasn't amazed by it like I thought I would be.

I got some head bows and they are generally polite although reserved, but most of them were just ordinary people going about their business. Many of them seemed like they were in a rush. The only real over the top politeness I got was from a few service people, but they were being paid to be nice. I've visited plenty of other places with nice and polite people, like the southern and midwestern parts of the U.S., as well as other places in the world.

I just don't see how the Japanese are that different from other people. Human nature is about the same anywhere.

And therein lies the secret you discovered about the human race.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Yes, the beaches of Southern California. Still summertime and hot, but they were mostly deserted. I ran all the way down the promenade from Santa Monica to the L. A. harbor channel and did not see a single other runner. There were two women on skates. No surfers at all, except for a few teenage boys at Malibu. No one anywhere besides myself, paddling a kayak. The famous weightlifting workout area at Muscle Beach was empty, whenever I passed. So I ditched my plan to move there and work for a few years and headed home, where there was plenty of my kind of action and much cleaner air, except for field-burning time, in August.
That sounds really good to me!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What, you ran along the beach from Santa Monica to San Pedro? That's over 30 miles and you would go through Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach--it's impossible for them to be deserted on a hot day in August. Maybe you actually ran to the entrance of Marina del Rey (4 miles)? Still strange that no one was around, although if it was that hot, people who want to work out would mostly be there in the morning or evening, rather than the middle of the day.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
Absolutely love Chicago. The south of France was nice too — Lyon, Avignon, Aix en Provence. Loved Florence. Really disappointed with Rome...truly a living museum but so many damn tourists...me being one of them. Switzerland was meh...

Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Funny how people have different perceptions.

I went to Philadelphia in April.

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Hope to retire there - assuming I can handle winter.
Philly is my hometown and still my favorite city in the world. Love it. (Actually grew up in the 'burbs).

I now live in Austin. I've got to say, I think it's terribly over rated. It keeps making all the lists of best places to live, and I don't get it. I mean, it's not horrible, but it's really not one of the best either.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bahamas- the big islands are essentially ghettos with accents. Trash everywhere, beautiful water/some beaches and the rest is poverty.
This is what I am hearing from many people. Such a shame. How does an island country 90 miles east of Florida (in other words, VERY close and accessible to tons of tourists) with great weather and beaches, allow itself to become such a place to avoid?? (To say nothing of its reputation for money laundering and white collar crime...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel