Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

I hate when they announce boarding and everyone stands up and crowds around the gate. I'll be in A group but have to push and shove my way through a crowd of people in B or C group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My gripe is the atrocious and extortionist exchange rates at ATMs. The Euro exchange rate is officially 1.12 dollars but the ATMs charge 1.22 or more which adds up to $100 extra on a $500 withdrawal. Good grief.

I hear that Charles Schwab will refund these amounts so trying to get an account now.
1. That isn't anywhere near $100 extra.
2. Schwab refunds foreign ATM fees, the fixed amount charged by the ATM owner for using the machine regardless of exchange rate or amount of withdrawal.
3. Look at FOREX fees charged by your bank.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I hate when they announce boarding and everyone stands up and crowds around the gate. I'll be in A group but have to push and shove my way through a crowd of people in B or C group.
Yep. Gate lice.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:55 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The bins are sized to accommodate 3 carryons sized 22"x14"x9". At first that might make it seem like each person can bring on one carryon (3 spaces in the bin, one bin per 3 seats). But some of the bins contain emergency equipment and aren't available for stowing carryons, the passengers in the bulkhead seats don't have any underseat storage and have to put both their items up in a bin, and (most important) the airlines have continued to add seats by decreasing the seat pitch - but amount of overhead bin space has remained the same. So the problem isn't simply that people are taking "too much stuff' onto the plane. The problem is that even if each passenger strictly obeys the rules (only one underseat item, only one carryon no bigger than 22"x14"x9"), there's only enough room in the overhead bins for 2/3s of the passengers to put their carryons up there. The rest of the carryons have to be gate-checked.

In other words, when the airlines tell the passengers that they are allowed one carryon up to 22'x14"x9", which they can stow overhead, they are lying by omission. There simply isn't enough room for each passenger to put a carryon in the overhead bins, and the airlines (but not most infrequent flyers) know this.

You're blaming the passengers for an airline-created problem.
Let me say this one more time. Very slowly, so you'll be sure to get it this THIRD time. The *airlines* should change the *airline* rules. How is that blaming the passengers and not the airlines? You've been actually reading my posts, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It forces a person to sit for hours in close proximity to someone who has just humiliated him. How easy it is to do that says something about your own civility. Most of us find that discomforting.
I'd worry more that it might not actually stop the person. Or that they would become argumentative/combative. (I wouldn't feel guilt for telling someone they're being inappropriate, no. It might be uncomfortable the rest of the flight, but not because I felt bad about having to tell someone how to behave in a socially-acceptable manner.)

Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't like when places charge different prices for foreigners than they do for locals
How would you know?

Old 06-22-2019, 06:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
How would you know?

Here, they have separate queues for foreigners. No national ID, you pay double.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:36 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times
My travel annoyances are:
1) babies on planes and kids who are kicking the back of my seat and in both cases the parent(s) seem not to care that their kids are annoying everyone. How about 1 baby/child-only flight a week? If you want to fly with a baby you're going to have to be on that flight!

2) hotels that allow the help to be noisy when you're trying to sleep... or have a loud band playing downstairs til 2am... or a small hotel or b&b that actually have barking dogs/kids/parrots/peacock/goat etc to bother you when you're trying to sleep

3) hotels that have broken stuff in them: broken lamps, broken windows, faulty showers, and - most annoying of all - no easy place like a table top near an a.c. to plug your phone or tablet to recharge

Old 06-22-2019, 07:46 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It forces a person to sit for hours in close proximity to someone who has just humiliated him. How easy it is to do that says something about your own civility. Most of us find that discomforting.
I think you can still say it in a way that is not humiliating.
How about, "I'm sorry, I've just heard some really bad news and am not in the mood to talk to anyone."

Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Let me say this one more time. Very slowly, so you'll be sure to get it this THIRD time. The *airlines* should change the *airline* rules. How is that blaming the passengers and not the airlines? You've been actually reading my posts, right?
Your proposed solution is nonsensical, as the percentage of carryon space allotted each passenger would change from aircraft to aircraft, and passengers would have no way to know in advance exactly what size carryon they’d be permitted to take on each flight (especially since equipment swaps might occur.). It’s completely unworkable.

And you blamed passengers for the situation in post #35: “...but the people from row 36 have too much stuff...”

Easier for the airlines to just charge a hefty fee for carryons, to encourage more cost-conscious passengers to check a bag. It was the checked-bag fees which started the whole mess.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
How would you know?
It's often right on the sign above national parks and sites in third world countries. I mean it's no big deal to me for that kind of stuff, I don't get the outrage over a tourist wealthy enough to visit their country paying more than some local. Otherwise you either have many locals who can never even see their own national treasures or it isn't generating enough revenue for upkeep and development to tourist standards.

The other is a lot more subtle, where shop keepers or restaurant owners might charge more to foreign tourists just because they can get away with it. This doesn't sit well with me, but it's not as common as some people imply. With the rise of so many chain supermarkets, hypermarts, convenience stores across developing countries that have posted prices it's not as easy to have a Mom&Pop shop with variable pricing. I think it's most common in market stall type places which are often geared towards tourists anyway, and bargaining is expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel