Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 07:44 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Stinky hair and clothes never hurt anyone, but there were ALWAYS those non-smokers who disdained smoking in their house or car, and back in the day, they just stayed home a lot - 70 effing years ago!

"Second hand smoke" is simply someone else in charge. Nothing more. Doubt that? Look at two things - 1) the timing; 2) the non-scientific (business) "statistics" specially employed to supposedly prove a hoax.
According to the CDC, 12.5 percent of American adults smoke. Which means that 87.5 percent don't. Majority rules. Count me among the non-smokers who are absolutely delighted that smoking is no longer legal on airplanes, or in lots of other places.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...d%20cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 08:45 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Having to arrive 2 hrs early(only to possibly be delayed), TSA, nausea on the flight due to turbulence, forced to sit 95% of the trip, expensive AF flights to the point where train fares aren't that far off, I get it. Air travel sucks.

But unless I get a good deal out of a roomette w/o booking months in advance, I refuse to deal with Amtrak and their garbage employees and garbage freight lines on a long distance trip. Regional service is tolerable.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
According to the CDC, 12.5 percent of American adults smoke. Which means that 87.5 percent don't. Majority rules. Count me among the non-smokers who are absolutely delighted that smoking is no longer legal on airplanes, or in lots of other places.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...d%20cigarettes.

I'm curious. What %-age smoke pot? In the place where my winter digs are, menthol ciggies are banned - illegal to sell a pack of Kools.Illegal! just menthol. But, a pot "emporium" as big as a Target store opened up down the road last year.

Yeah - lot less smokers these days for sure - mostly by force (it's no longer your body). Also the biggest epidemic of obesity i've seen in over 70 years. Thank goodness I took my investment money out of Phillip Morris and put it in Doritos. Retired earlier than I planned.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:20 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
I'm curious. What %-age smoke pot?
You can't smoke pot in a plane either, and pot is also the focus of negative advertising.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You can't smoke pot in a plane either, and pot is also the focus of negative advertising.

Geez, not too many months ago just possession was a trip to jail.

That was my point. Better fat & stoned than doing what people did for a hundred years?

Old 01-03-2023, 06:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Geez, not too many months ago just possession was a trip to jail.

That was my point. Better fat & stoned than doing what people did for a hundred years?
It was a poor attempt at a point because nobody is claiming that smoking weed is better, you're arguing with your own straw man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I don't think this is drama queen stuff....
Exhibit A - window falls out of plane in flight.
Exhibit B - plane lands at the wrong airport
Exhibit C - airline asks passengers their weight and drains corresponding weight of fuel.
Exhibit D - Overbooking -- yank certain passengers off the flight
Exhibit E - plane taken out of service without notice
Exhibit F - food poisoning

None of that has to do with TSA, lines or costs.
Taking exceptions and casting them as the norm is a pretty good example of drama queenery. Well done.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:28 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Stinky hair and clothes never hurt anyone

So I guess you won't mind if no one on board showers this month, or steps in dog$hit before boarding...

It's not about "hurt." Plenty of "polite" and "good mannered" and downright "classy" acts - do not cause HURT as an alternative. It's about caring - that so many OTHER people are bothered by it. Not just a few. Most.

It reeks. YOU as a smoker stink continuously, rather or not you've smoked yet today. If you did not bathe - I would tell you to back off just the same, because, indeed, to smell "offensive" is a description everyone understands.

This is mainly why flying bothers certain people - because it involves caring about someone else for a change. People seem to hate doing that.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:03 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Exhibit A - window falls out of plane in flight.
Exhibit B - plane lands at the wrong airport
Exhibit C - airline asks passengers their weight and drains corresponding weight of fuel.
Exhibit D - Overbooking -- yank certain passengers off the flight
Exhibit E - plane taken out of service without notice
Exhibit F - food poisoning

Going with the one in a million exceptions on a plane, hm? How do you drive a car?

Window and Wrong Airport - stats show it as fewer than one in a million flights for either. Windows causing a problem are emphatically less common than wrong airports, and that's worldwide.

The weight thing is a very - very - odd statement. They do not "drain" the fuel - they use the data to determine how much fuel they will need to get where they're going. (Why don't they just "Fill it up" you ask? Because that's wasting money. They take what they need, and the extra mandated by the FAA - and that's it. No more. It costs money to transport fuel for no reason.)

No one is "yanked" off a plane for over-booking - you are bribed to leave of your own freewill.*

Planes out of service? What? You prefer that the thing give notice before it breaks?
Food poisoning? Don't eat on the plane, problem solved - which is not really a problem, since nearly no plane serves food.

*I am aware it happens sometimes that no one volunteers to get left behind - and then it's not a great situation - but that is very - very - uncommon. Most airlines offer the "overbooking" bribe before you even leave your house.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

The weight thing is a very - very - odd statement. They do not "drain" the fuel - they use the data to determine how much fuel they will need to get where they're going. (Why don't they just "Fill it up" you ask? Because that's wasting money. They take what they need, and the extra mandated by the FAA - and that's it. No more. It costs money to transport fuel for no reason.)
Also, jet fuel is very very heavy, and you want your plane to land at a relatively light weight to reduce stress and wear and tear on the airframe.

So weight and balance calculations are set up so that a plane is fueled to reach their destination, two acceptable diversion points and an additional buffer so that a pilot can safely do an abort and go round or two. And not beyond that because you don’t want to be landing heavy.

Some of the calculations for very short haul can be pretty fussy- flight distance from GRR to ORD is 137 miles and my sister once had a pilot fail to account for fuel burn when their plane was in line for de-icing and then had to do a quick top off before taking off to Chicago.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:09 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Window and Wrong Airport - stats show it as fewer than one in a million flights for either. Windows causing a problem are emphatically less common than wrong airports, and that's worldwide.
Back in the 1980s, there was a weird spat of Delta Airlines planes landing at the wrong airport. One of the most egregious cases was a flight from West Palm Beach to Miami, a distance of just 62 miles (in other words, a very short flight), yet they accidentally set down at Fort Lauderdale instead. I guess they must have gotten things sorted out, because the issue soon went away.

http://thirdamendment.com/WrongWay.pdf

In looking over the list at this link, apparently there weren't as many Delta wrong-airport landings as I remembered. The one I mentioned above took place on July 14, 1980. I recall that it happened at night, which might have contributed to the error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel