Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 07:26 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Lets see how that goes when you want to get to the East Coast or even somewhere like Denver or Dallas. (I won't even bring up Hawaii or Europe)

Seriously let us know how your experience with the rail service goes after a dozen trips.

The airlines run cattle car service because that is what the customers want. They want low cost service. That means cramming as many people as possible in each aircraft. people who only have carry ons don't see why they should have luggage built into their ticket price
Maybe, just maybe, the airlines just want to squeeze as much profit as possible from the people? So they squeeze them into smaller and smaller seats, make them battle for space on the overhead bins, and board them like cattle, and charge for checking bags even though carrying them in the aircraft adds no cost. They should instead charge those who bring into the aircraft anything larger than a briefcase or handbag. But then they cannot tempt you with added cost for early boarding, a bit wider seat, more leg room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 07:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
But I don’t understand this idea of airlines being “abusive” toward customers
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I fly at least a handful times a year (outside of covid) and never once felt abused by an airline.
For some reason flying brings out the drama queen in people. OMG I had to line up, abuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Twenty years ago the average airline ticket was refundable (or could be switched for free), came with a decently sized seat, a meal, two drinks (sometimes including beer or a cocktail), one checked bag and one carry on. Some airlines even covered 2 checked bags. Alcoholic drinks were FREE on international flights.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you had to pay more for refundable tickets 20 years ago, there were change fees, and you had to pay for alcohol on domestic flights unless in first class.

I do remember checked bags being free was the norm though.

Alcoholic drinks are still FREE on most international flights.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve never understood why airlines board planes the way they do. First boarding should be those with special needs (people with mobility issues for example). After that, board from the rear to the front.
As far as I remember they still do it that way here. But people don’t take as much luggage on board.

It is since September 11 that things have become more difficult in airports, with the much stricter security.

I hate the airport experience for the uncertainty. I have never been abused by staff. It is more like our experience of arriving at Heathrow in 2011, to be told the Qantas had grounded itself worldwide. Even the staff did not know what was going on. Or arriving at Harare airport in Zimbabwe to be told that they no longer fly to our intended destination.

Nevertheless just this morning I have booked flights on Emirates to Europe for October. Sydney to Lisbon, one transit stop in Dubai, about 25 hours and in economy. Leaves at 6am. The airport is not too busy as it is the first flight out, Sydney still having a curfew. To go business class would have been four times the price, an extra $A15,000 for the two of us. As my daughter would say when she was living in the UK and was flying home with a child, it is only a day in your life!

Old 12-29-2022, 10:57 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
If the rest of my life goes perfectly I will never see the inside of another airplane.
I've got time. I'll drive or fly or preferably, not go.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I recently flew to Las Vegas and selected Frontier over Southwest because of bad service with SWA. Frontier's r-t ticket price was reasonable. Oh -- do you want to sit down? Ka-ching. Oh -- do you have luggage to check? Ka-ching. Oh -- do you have carry-on luggage, too? Ka-ching. Oh -- do you want a drink? Ka-ching. It is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're complaining about Frontier's system when you know it's a cut rate carrier where everything is charged extra for, and then you complain that they adhere to the business model they advertise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How is it ‘ridiculous’? You get what you pay for, yes?
Quote:
This is a bigger exaggeration than the OP.
How is my statement, relative to my response re: SunGrins, an exaggeration?

That said, as far as the OP, he/she can take a train or slow boat to China, if they prefer such over flying. Obviously, travel isn’t immune to inflation (or competition); and we’ve all had a few negative experiences relative to such, no matter which airline we may fly any given day or trip. Point being, despite a dramatic increase in fares (and occasional inconveniences), most of us will continue to do so.

Hence, I still question OP’s claims of abuse relative to air travel as well as others quibbling over food, free drinks, luggage fees and whatnot.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
This is a bigger exaggeration than the OP.

Twenty years ago the average airline ticket was refundable (or could be switched for free), came with a decently sized seat, a meal, two drinks (sometimes including beer or a cocktail), one checked bag and one carry on. Some airlines even covered 2 checked bags. Alcoholic drinks were FREE on international flights.
20 yrs ago (and 40 yrs ago) Standard class fares were not refundable, Transferable or changeable without a fee (often $250 fee for a single change, if allowed). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fare_basis_code

Quote:
Now the baseline ticket nets you get a kid’s sized seat that “reclines”, no meal, maybe a snack, maybe a drink, no free bags except the new “personal item” and all of this for a usually non-refundable ticket that can only be changed for a fee.
Sounds like it's time to find a new carrier, as rules are far less restrictive than above on most carriers after Covid. Some carriers have new policies for Free changes, and one USA carrier needs no new policy for (2) personal items carry-on + (2) Free checked Bags (50# each), Free Changes or flight credits that NEVER expire + free soft drinks and snacks on flights over 30 minutes duration.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:08 AM

I agree with StealthRabbit there, in 2020 (I think?) is when lots of airlines opened up the free changes thing. It used to be a big reason to pick Southwest since they were the rare exception.

Granted some have since evolved to where basic economy that doesn't include the free changes.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:26 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some carriers have new policies for Free changes, and one USA carrier needs no new policy for (2) personal items carry-on + (2) Free checked Bags (50# each), Free Changes or flight credits that NEVER expire + free soft drinks and snacks on flights over 30 minutes duration.
Which one? This would be so wildly out of line with the other carriers nowadays that I find it nearly impossible.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-30-2022, 06:38 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
Ok then...........one more empty seat over here!

Old 12-30-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Which one? This would be so wildly out of line with the other carriers nowadays that I find it nearly impossible.
Southwest.

A lot of the stuff you said in your post was incorrect, I'm not sure if what you consider the norm nowadays versus in the past is based on reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel