Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

If all the smokers quit tomorrow............I'm wondering if all the non smokers are willing to chip in on the MILLIONS of tax dollars state wide they would be losing?
Truthfully, considering how much tax dollars smokers generate, they should be given special thank you spots to smoke in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I find it so curious that anti-smoking zealots are so quick to relate a story about a beloved one or a friend or acquaintance who died from lung cancer due to smoking. Yet, they'll never reveal how many of their friends, acquaintances, loved ones, over the years, who have died or left permanently disabled in car accidents due to their nasty, unhealthy, self-destructive, pollution-causing addiction to driving an automobile. Is there a 12-step program to help these people overcome their addictions?
Are you serious? Comparing an automobile to smoking addiction is rediculous! Nobody disputes that cars are not safe or that exhaust from a car is not bad and does cause cancer and death, but unlike smoking, humans need a vehicle to get around in, go to work, the store, etc. Accidents happen, but you grabbing a cig and lighting it and putting it to your lips is no accident! And until we go electric or other means please don't compare apples to oranges!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If all the smokers quit tomorrow............I'm wondering if all the non smokers are willing to chip in on the MILLIONS of tax dollars state wide they would be losing?
Truthfully, considering how much tax dollars smokers generate, they should be given special thank you spots to smoke in.

I bet the costs would be offset to hundreds of thousands of people NOT dieing of smoking related illnesses every year!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
More people means more people paying taxes, not just cigarette taxes. With only 20% of the population smoking and that number going down (which is a good thing) the country is going to have to start making the money up elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
~sigh~ I wish someone would pay my medical bills when I suffer and I do suffer a LOT from allergies to perfumes/colognes.
When will someone take on the Liquor industry and make it as hard to buy booze as it is to buy guns now?? I don't know the stats but do believe drunk drivers kill more than guns..........just sayin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
More people means more people paying taxes, not just cigarette taxes. With only 20% of the population smoking and that number going down (which is a good thing) the country is going to have to start making the money up elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I bet the costs would be offset to hundreds of thousands of people NOT dieing of smoking related illnesses every year!
Hundreds of thousands of people who will collect your tax money for 30 extra years in the form of Social Security And then they will die after some period of illness or some need of medicine in their final days, which your taxes will pay for also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel