Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times

Advertisements

It's so easy and simple to plan ahead, period...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Traveling is great, but for some reason it always feels better before and after the trip, never during it

Anyone feel the same, like sometimes traveling just too irritating when going to a place you never been.
I can't agree more, but more importantly is how you feel after the trip.

I can't tell you how many trips I've taken, entailing lots stress and work, endless researching before leaving, too many irritating moments, much frustration (like not being able to find a rest room when you need one),
and moments where I almost prematurely ended the trip and flew back home and to be happy and content.

But it's my insatiable curiosities that will never allow me to forgo another opportunity to satsify my curiosities.

After many a trip, or even during a stressful trip, I grow this big smile and sigh: Ah! This is the very, very last trip I'll ever, ever take again! The tourism industry can starve before I'll take another one!

And yet, I'm only back but a week or two, and I'm busy planning my next masochistic trip.

Ah, how I love that saying: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
I usually feel pretty darned satisfied after a trip--sometimes I dread seeing it end.

I do plan ahead.

However, no matter how much a person plans, remaining flexible is important.

We had a train ticket problem in France last spring, and we just had to deal with it, hope for the best, and buy another.
Everything turned out just fine--our refund came in the mail several weeks after we returned.

Sometimes I feel like I have never really been tested on a trip. I've dealt with pickpocket attempts, guys harassing me, sickness, train strikes, near-muggings, and a strange interlude in Guatemala that might have been worse than it actually seemed. But I always seem to glide through these situations.

We'll be in New Orleans for Halloween. I'll see how we handle that one.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I usually feel pretty darned satisfied after a trip--sometimes I dread seeing it end.

I do plan ahead.

We had a train ticket problem in France last spring, and we just had to deal with it, hope for the best, and buy another.
Everything turned out just fine--our refund came in the mail several weeks after we returned.

Sometimes I feel like I have never really been tested on a trip. I've dealt with pickpocket attempts, guys harassing me, sickness, train strikes, near-muggings, and a strange interlude in Guatemala that might have been worse than it actually seemed. But I always seem to glide through these situations.
I can't tell you how many times I've nearly cried on the flight/ride home, because I didn't want the trip to end! Sure, things happen, but I've never had them bother me. Life (and the trip) is just too short to freak out, it's not worth it. I've always just gone with the flow, did what I had to, and it all worked out.

I'd say that if things like that truly stress you out that much, you should really consider travel agents and tour programs. A more structured and guided trip should be easier to handle.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

I do plan ahead.

We'll be in New Orleans for Halloween. I'll see how we handle that one.
I'm green with envy..sure hope you have a great time & post some pics when you get back
Have some coffee & beignets for me will ya

Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've nearly cried on the flight/ride home, because I didn't want the trip to end! Sure, things happen, but I've never had them bother me. Life (and the trip) is just too short to freak out, it's not worth it. I've always just gone with the flow, did what I had to, and it all worked out.

I'd say that if things like that truly stress you out that much, you should really consider travel agents and tour programs. A more structured and guided trip should be easier to handle.

I'm like you - the end of the trip, and after the trip are very sad and disappointing for me. The OP definitely is not a real "traveler", IMO. Real travel-lovers enjoy actually traveling. Real travelers plan to avoid the "hassles" and learn how to handle whatever problems arise. Real travelers also learn how to cope with and roll with setbacks.

Your recommendation to the OP to take a guided tour is a great one; they are perfect for people who want to travel but aren't very good at doing it themselves or handling the unexpected.

It's funny, when I heard people say how they like "after the trip" better than the trip itself, I just couldn't relate. If you like being home more, then why even travel??? I get sad on my last day of a trip, knowing I'm going home to work and "real life".

To me, the trip is more fun before and during... BEFORE, because the researching, planning, and creating of the trip is so fun, and I stretch it out for months. The anticipation is exciting. Planning the trip is ALMOST better than the trip itself. And DURING the trip, well the trip itself is the main event! It should be THE best part of traveling, and for me, it is. I'm on a natural high, the entire time I travel, especially if it's for pleasure, but even when it's a business trip.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You might at some point figure out how to plan ahead...

That is what i wqas thiking;no plannig at all and service that should not mean squat seem to be causing a problem.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Because like you I used priceline and hotwire plus hotels.com. This trip was a bit spontaneous, but Moderator cut: name calling I usually do plan ahead.

However, I have found very good deals on priceline many times the day of. I dont do all that much research on hotels as I usually bid, and am not really too picky. Internet, fridge/micro, and location are most important and I usually get what I want, when I want it, with no headache. Not in this city though. Everything was 120 bucks and up. I've gotten the Extended Stay many times, along with others that were 'fully loaded' the same day I purchased.

This city is a bit different. Hotels here are pricier than I imagined, although there are some sparse good deals. I found them, yes...but it just wasnt as quick as I expected.
just how far in advance did you plan?
Priceline is too risky.
I use expedia and or hotels.com or I do internet research way ahead of time and sometimes I book directly with the hotel,airline,etc---whatever is the best price.

What city did you find to be so troublesome? Just curious

I love planning my trips...........exciting! By the time it's travel day I have everything in place. If and when unexpected issues arise--I deal with them in a way so as to not ruin my trip. Go with the flow........

On a no time to plan trip I would expect the unexpected and roll with it.......

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,404 times
If you've got a corp. Amex, use their travel desk to have them make last minute arrangements, toll-free number and they do all the work for you - have to use this a few times due to missed flights, other delays, etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,903,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

What city did you find to be so troublesome? Just curious

I love planning my trips...........exciting! By the time it's travel day I have everything in place. If and when unexpected issues arise--I deal with them in a way so as to not ruin my trip. Go with the flow........

On a no time to plan trip I would expect the unexpected and roll with it.......
I'd really like to know what city this is as well. Some friends and I from work decided to take a quick trip to NYC one weekend. Hotels looked pretty high online and we'd even tried priceline to some extent, but no luck getting anything as cheaply as we were hoping. We decided to just go and let it ride until we got there, thinking could get something cheaper on the day as a last minute booking. Once there we started making phone calls and the cheapest we could find in Manhattan was a room meant for 3 people (we had 5) for $135/night. Even hostiles in Manhattan are way over priced. Finally we just had to take it, and sneak the other two people in.

The place was pretty much a dump, but I can tell you it was a lesson learned. If the internet says prices are high in a city like New York, I would never again go there without a booking already made. Ironically the week after, prices dropped about 20%, so flexibility in plans can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel