Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
You are mistaken again, I was actually traveling for business. So maybe that too adds to why I wasnt too thrilled about it. In my particular industry, Chicago is not a good place to do business. People there are cheaper than some of the southern states I've been to...
Even worse, then. I would never be so unprepared for a business trip, and if I were so unprepared and it affected my job, I'd have to answer for it. As far as Chicago not being a good place to do business, what does that really have to do with any of your complaints?

Quote:
Oh n-n-n-n-oooo sweet heart. Just because I had a bad experience and complain Im supposed to not be a good traveler? Ok, maybe I didnt have such a good time. But dont give me the 3rd degree about me not always liking my destination. I go where I want, when I want to, and its non of your concern about how I go about it. Unless you're willing to do all the reservations for me
It wasn't a matter of your destination. It was a matter of you being unprepared and irresponsible and then complaining when you had to deal with the consequences of your irresponsibility. It's just that simple.

Quote:
Again, you're a tourist. Im from Florida. Miami, Florida We have beaches, palms, descent looking people, and bars that stay open til 5 am. Tourist go to Miami for a reason.
Again, you're a tourist, too. And you're not the only one who travels for business. For about 10 years I've been OnePass Elite on Continental (mostly gold), HHonors Elite (mostly diamond), and Hertz #1 Club Gold/President's Circle. Still, when I travel, if I deviate from work at any time, even if it's just to visit downtown and have a good meal, I am being a tourist. Beyond business trips, I take trips for pleasure. So, yes, I am a tourist, and if you ever travel for pleasure then you're a tourist, also.

Quote:
However, many cities have no beaches, bars close at 2, they are dry, people are ugly, transportation sucks, cold weather, crap markets/malls and so on and so on...

If you think Im going to sit back and say, "Wow, this place is great"...you are out of your raggedy mind. If you dont believe me, go ask New Yorkers how they feel about cities they visit. New Yorkers are some of the most critical people on earth when it comes to cities. And its obvious as to why.
It's your prerogative to like or dislike whatever you want. I never said otherwise. What I have been saying is that your complaints in your OP have nothing to do with the place you visited, but rather they are the result of your lack of planning and irresponsibility.

As for what people from New York think, I live in a suburb of NYC, 20 miles from the George Washington Bridge, in the same county in NJ where the NY Giants and NY Jets play, and I often commute to NYC. Still, when I visit cities or places, even the least desirable ones, I am able to find things in them that are interesting and enjoyable. Doesn't matter that back home I have the biggest and best city. Being an open-minded, intelligent, decent human being I appreciate other places for what they are. Shallow, ignorant, superficial people tend to look at places that have less and dismiss them out-of-hand.

You're young. As you get older and (hopefully) wiser, maybe you'll understand how to appreciate other places even if you don't particuarly like thm. But the again, maybe not. Some people stay prideful and superficial all their lives.

Quote:
You cant sit here, in my face and tell me I dont have the right to dislike 1 or more cities I go to. Now pack your bags
I didn't tell you that you can or can't dislike any cities. You are free to like or dislike whatever you choose. My point to you all along, again, is that all your original complaints are about things which you were irresponsible about.

Now you pack your bags....and while you're at it...check in advance what hotels are available, where they are in relation to your job or whatever else you want to be near, if there are mini-fridges included, if car rental agencies will accept your debit card, and ALL the things you failed to check and properly plan and prepare for on that trip you whined about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
I live in a tourist destination and I know there are a million and one stories on the subject but it still never fails to amaze me how totally unprepared some people are who vacation here. They do absolutely no research at all, have a miserable time and then go back home to write a damning trip report about how rude everyone was to them, how it was too hot, how horrible the food was, how expensive it was and everything else under the sun.

Had they had some foresight and done even a little bit of research they might have had a wonderful visit but, well, maybe some people should stay in their own back yard and not go anywhere!

As far as the OPs complaints are concerned I have to agree with everyone who's pointed out that his trip to Chicago would have been so much easier if he'd done some research beforehand and planned everything a little better. Back in the days of yore we'd pore through travel books to get a feel for our destination but these days the internet makes everything a cinch. Cheers!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM

111 posts, read 435,546 times
I have to agree with everybody that's said that planning the trip in advance and researching things for your itinerary is a lot of fun.

As for the OP, you definitely should have planned in advance. Even for business travel, I know you generally get a little advanced warning. I understand that there is some urgent business where maybe you can't make plans in advance, but those are very uncommon for a high percentage of people.

I also agree that you can dislike or like anything you want, but it seems to me that you failed to even attempt to make the best of the situation. If you're there just for business, then it's not a matter of having fun. If you own the business, all the expenses you had with the hotel and such should be able to be claimed on your taxes when you do them. If you don't own the business, then maybe get reimbursed or however it works with your company.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
I would never plan ahead for a trip. Did one time and had to change my tickets twice due to a family (dads) illness.

Some yrs back saw on Sun night a TV ad for some real cheap tickets to Mexico City from LAX.

Called the travel agent around the corner from my business at 9 AM Mon morning. He quoted me a regular price and then I told him about the special fare. He said that he would check and call me back. Sure enough the price was valid so I said...set me up for a thurs AM leaving and the following Mon AM to return.

When customers asked where I was the last couple of days...just told them I went to Mexico City for the weekend.

Many people pay full fare for months in advance trips never knowing what things may be in store for them health wise.

Steve

Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Joei, I sympathize with you a little more than the other posters. While I do pre-plan my trips with a fine-tooth comb, the traveling itself lost it's luster for me years ago. And the lodging industry is just as big a racket as the airlines. Whenever my husband and I go to California we just drive it. With all the increasing fees and spiking rates in fares, it's cheaper to use our own car and a lot more pleasant.

Unfortunately, to travel farther than that is still done best accessible by flying. While I'm looking forward to my next New Orleans trip, I absolutely DREAD the travel.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Post your info please - on TripAdvisor dot com. I don't leave home without checking it out. I have learned what to look for in people's reviews. We take between 4 and 5 weeklong vacations every year. We have been relying on that site for the last 10 years and I have only made a bad mistake ONCE! It's incredible.

I had a friend who was dying and wanted to see her one last time while she still had some of her health. So we planned a week and flew out there (Arizona) - pretty much last minute - one week from when I got the news. I checked tripAdvisor and saw a couple of so-so reviews but did NOT check out the sources well enough. We got our car, flight was good (I am petrified of flying but we still do it at least 3 times a year), car rental was smooth and we got an upgrade. Hotel - well, the "pool" was the size of a bathtub and was broken anyway. It is number one on our MUST haves. It was one of those extended stay places that was more for the racecar set and the homeless. It wasn't unsafe but their website and the reviews weren't quite accurate. So we checked out next morning and hit the road.

Stopped in a Denny's and got one of those magazines with the discount coupons and we went 2 towns away and found a GREAT place at less than what we would have paid for the dump. Finished out our trip in a better location and more comfort.

I made darned sure to write 2 reviews when we got home and spelled out exactly the problems with the first place.

Even for an overnight to my cousin's, I check TripAdvisor. I can honestly say we haven't had any other issues which would cause me to complain and whine. Sometimes things aren't exactly what you want, you don't let it overpower your vacation. There's some great cities and some I won't return; but everything is an experience - and I LOVE to plan and research and sometimes even when things don't go as planned, it's a great time. I've got 2 vacations planned already - well, not all the details - we are heading to Ireland and to the Med. Oh, and smaller trips are planned to SF and Canada.

Do I fit OP's definition of tourist? Heck no. That's the whackiest definition I ever read. And if "traveller" is what she is, then I'm not that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I just did a last minute trip to OR coast for a week. Yes I checked things out online to get an idea for each area but went with the idea I would end up where I should be. Made sure I booked a vacation rental house or room by 6pm traveling with a dog and limited places. It was great!

I never use Priceline or Expedia any more. It seems with todays economy you can get a way better flight, car rental, hotel, or vacation home price today talking directly to each place. I rented a house on the beach and had the price cut in over half vrs the online prices. Plus you can find much nicer non comericalized hotels vacation homes off those types of sites.

Just booked my flight back to Hawaii and got a price 1/4 of all the Expedia Orbitz etc... on the days I wanted vrs the days they had to sell. They can't sell the whole plane just certain amount of seats.

(snip)
The journey is the best finding a place I had no idea of and trusting my gut to just go until I find a place that looks good. I will say when I drove the Alcan or went to Hawaii research reseach research first.!

By the way if anyone makes it to OR coast found a gem of a place. The rooms are OK but the view price and incredible food in hotel is in Yachats OR Adobe Hotel! I ended changing my plans just to go back and stay for view and food! Enjoy your travels!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 PM

311 posts, read 694,224 times
wow, traveling has gotten insanely expensive.Makes you wish for a previous century when you could just walk the earth.But now you have to pay for the air you breath it seems like.I hate this money grubbing world we live in.From the time your born and even after you die someone is trying to get rich of of EVERYTHING you do. We should all start backpacking/hitchiking to spite the system.I did it this summer and it was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel