Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,485,156 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of surprised so many hotels still have smoking rooms. Not that the No Smoking sign makes much difference really. I checked into a Marriott last year where my first room absolutely stank of cigarette smoke even tho the receptionist swore up and down it was a non-smoking room. I refused to stay there and they did give me another room in the end but only because I was with a large group and we were paying for a conference room and food too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM

23,267 posts, read 29,118,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm kind of surprised so many hotels still have smoking rooms. Not that the No Smoking sign makes much difference really.
I'm a smoker and won't stay in a smoking room myself. Can't stand the smell, won't smoke in my room.

The big problem is our greedy, cheap motel/hotel developers who are too cheap to add balconies. It appears that balconies are becoming a thing of the past.
How much more would it cost to add balconies? Problem solved. Then make the whole building No Smoking.

When I travel, being a smoker, I stay in these low-level motels where there's a long outside long/corridor to your room. Step outside the room, and smoke there.

Nothing worse than staying in a high-rise hotel. Elevator to lobby, outside to smoke, elevator back to the room.

Many hotels/motels in Latin America has rooftop decks for their guests. Another way to solve the problem.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 PM

454 posts, read 689,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The big problem is our greedy, cheap motel/hotel developers who are too cheap to add balconies. It appears that balconies are becoming a thing of the past.
How much more would it cost to add balconies? Problem solved. Then make the whole building No Smoking.
Great point! I stayed at the Doubletree in Alsip, Illinois (I meant to stay in Chicago) and they had a balcony, but it was an artificial balcony with just a large window that couldnt be opened!

Theres a trend nowadays of making fake railings, but no way to get onto the balcony. And if it is one, its just a little area of concrete with no chairs or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
The place was pretty much a dump, but I can tell you it was a lesson learned. If the internet says prices are high in a city like New York, I would never again go there without a booking already made. Ironically the week after, prices dropped about 20%, so flexibility in plans can help.
LOL, I loved your story. Thats the exact same thing which happened to me. I picked the hotel upon arrival, and booked the other hotel while I was at that one. And you already know the story...

BTW it was Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
What city did you find to be so troublesome? Just curious
Chicago Im sorry, but I've heard from so many people across the country of how much they loved Chicago (and a few people who absolutely hated it), but honestly I think its over-rated...its a nice urban city...but take away those beautiful downtown buildings and to me its too damn 'midwestern', whatever that means. And the rest of the city is poop brown colored for miles. Way too industrial feelings. Ugh. But I wont be going there again though. So, Chicago sucks, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The OP definitely is not a real "traveler", IMO. Real travel-lovers enjoy actually traveling. Real travelers plan to avoid the "hassles" and learn how to handle whatever problems arise. Real travelers also learn how to cope with and roll with setbacks.
Im sorry but I think you confused me with a tourist. I may not be a tourist but you can bet your ass that I do travel, whether on a whim or planned weeks prior...250 or 2500 miles away.

A tourist goes around and sees every city as some sort of surreal world. They think every city is beautiful regardless of what the locals think of it. If a city sucks, a tourist may think its heaven on earth. Thats just how they are. Tourist also are the ones who tend to get ripped-off, fall into money traps, and make easy targets for pickpocketers.

Im not a tourist sweety, Im a traveler. A young traveler who hasnt been too many places yet, but have done over a dozen solo trips across 5 states BYMYSELF in the last 2 years and Im only 22. When I come back from a trip, best believe I'm very critical of it...but wont hesistate to name the pros, if any.

If that isnt a traveler, you dont know what the hell it is...

Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,800,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Im sorry but I think you confused me with a tourist. I may not be a tourist but you can bet your ass that I do travel, whether on a whim or planned weeks prior...250 or 2500 miles away.

A tourist goes around and sees every city as some sort of surreal world. They think every city is beautiful regardless of what the locals think of it. If a city sucks, a tourist may think its heaven on earth. Thats just how they are. Tourist also are the ones who tend to get ripped-off, fall into money traps, and make easy targets for pickpocketers.

Im not a tourist sweety, Im a traveler. A young traveler who hasnt been too many places yet, but have done over a dozen solo trips across 5 states BYMYSELF in the last 2 years and Im only 22. When I come back from a trip, best believe I'm very critical of it...but wont hesistate to name the pros, if any.

If that isnt a traveler, you dont know what the hell it is...
Anyone who travels is a tourist, especially if traveling for pleasure. I'm a tourist, there's nothing wrong with being one. You list some of the stereotypes of tourists, but they are not true about most tourists; you might as well have added that all tourists wear black socks with shorts and loud hawaiian shirts, camera around the neck, etc.

Anyway, you may be a traveler, but you're not a very good one, at least not yet. Maybe if you continue to travel you'll catch on and learn, but your attitude towards traveling seems unrealistic, so I don't know. Every "hassle" you listed was entirely your own fault for not preparing properly and not planning or researching your trip. For someone who claims to have traveled so much, you should have known what your needs would be and planned accordingly.

It just sounds like you have unrealistic expectations with traveling and hate it. A person who loves travel can indeed find the beauty and interesting aspect wherever he goes. I've been to most major cities in the US and Canada and I've never found any of them, even the "worst" ones, to be completely uninteresting. And I've always either planned properly, or when I didn't, I took responsibility for my mistakes and didn't complain about the "hassles" that I created (as you did).

I've never heard someone who truly LOVES to travel say they were happier when the trip was over. I've heard people who don't like to travel say that. Loving travel means you love the "before" and especially the "during", not the "after". If you like being home, just stay home. If THAT isn't being a traveler, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 10-27-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,105,218 times
Quote:
Anyone who travels is a tourist, especially if traveling for pleasure. I'm a tourist, there's nothing wrong with being one. You list some of the stereotypes of tourists, but they are not true about most tourists; you might as well have added that all tourists wear black socks with shorts and loud hawaiian shirts, camera around the neck, etc.

Anyway, you may be a traveler, but you're not a very good one, at least not yet. Maybe if you continue to travel you'll catch on and learn, but your attitude towards traveling seems unrealistic, so I don't know. Every "hassle" you listed was entirely your own fault for not preparing properly and not planning or researching your trip. For someone who claims to have traveled so much, you should have known what your needs would be and planned accordingly.

It just sounds like you have unrealistic expectations with traveling and hate it. A person who loves travel can indeed find the beauty and interesting aspect wherever he goes. I've been to most major cities in the US and Canada and I've never found any of them, even the "worst" ones, to be completely uninteresting. And I've always either planned properly, or when I didn't, I took responsibility for my mistakes and didn't complain about the "hassles" that I created (as you did).

I've never heard someone who truly LOVES to travel say they were happier when the trip was over. I've heard people who don't like to travel say that. Loving travel means you love the "before" and especially the "during", not the "after". If you like being home, just stay home. If THAT isn't being a traveler, then I don't know what is.
I agree......some of my best travel experiences actually came when things didn't go exactly according to my plans.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Great point! I stayed at the Doubletree in Alsip, Illinois (I meant to stay in Chicago) and they had a balcony, but it was an artificial balcony with just a large window that couldnt be opened!

Theres a trend nowadays of making fake railings, but no way to get onto the balcony. And if it is one, its just a little area of concrete with no chairs

Chicago Im sorry, but I've heard from so many people across the country of how much they loved Chicago (and a few people who absolutely hated it), but honestly I think its over-rated...its a nice urban city...but take away those beautiful downtown buildings and to me its too damn 'midwestern', whatever that means.
I'm claustrophobic and I can't stay in a hotel where I'm unable to open a window. And how many hotels today, you can't even open a window. Gives me the creeps just to think about it! Like staying in a windowed prison cell.

I agree with you on Chicago. Was just there in Sept. It's the pizza, Millenium Park and the architecture which are the star attractions for me, but even being atop the Hancock Tower, I always feel like I'm in the Midwest.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,188,870 times
I just did a last minute trip to OR coast for a week. Yes I checked things out online to get an idea for each area but went with the idea I would end up where I should be. Made sure I booked a vacation rental house or room by 6pm traveling with a dog and limited places. It was great!

I never use Priceline or Expedia any more. It seems with todays economy you can get a way better flight, car rental, hotel, or vacation home price today talking directly to each place. I rented a house on the beach and had the price cut in over half vrs the online prices. Plus you can find much nicer non comericalized hotels vacation homes off those types of sites.

Just booked my flight back to Hawaii and got a price 1/4 of all the Expedia Orbitz etc... on the days I wanted vrs the days they had to sell. They can't sell the whole plane just certain amount of seats.

My experience as a smoker is anymore most places don't even allow you to smoke on a balcony anymore. Oh well something I have to deal with as a smoker. I haven't even seen a smokers room in many years till driving up the Alcan this summer - Canada/Alaska has lots of them. Ohh my as a smoker I will pass.

The journey is the best finding a place I had no idea of and trusting my gut to just go until I find a place that looks good. I will say when I drove the Alcan or went to Hawaii research reseach research first.!

By the way if anyone makes it to OR coast found a gem of a place. The rooms are OK but the view price and incredible food in hotel is in Yachats OR Adobe Hotel! I ended changing my plans just to go back and stay for view and food! Enjoy your travels!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post

I never use Priceline or Expedia any more. It seems with todays economy you can get a way better flight, car rental, hotel, or vacation home price today talking directly to each place. I rented a house on the beach and had the price cut in over half vrs the online prices. Plus you can find much nicer non comericalized hotels vacation homes off those types of sites.
I'm getting more and more wise to this as well, calling the place directly. Google the city you plan to visit, and their hotel listings, and you'll get the telephone numbers of the hotels. Call and compare.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,188,870 times
Plus if you travel with a dog they make the pet charge almost dissapear when you call and check in. Vrs only booking online. Even the places that say they don't take dogs online.

Today again the economy has made it much easier to be a tourist or traveler-- however you want to call yourself.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM

454 posts, read 689,956 times
Quote:
Anyone who travels is a tourist, especially if traveling for pleasure.
You are mistaken again, I was actually traveling for business. So maybe that too adds to why I wasnt too thrilled about it. In my particular industry, Chicago is not a good place to do business. People there are cheaper than some of the southern states I've been to...

Quote:
Oh n-n-n-n-oooo sweet heart. Just because I had a bad experience and complain Im supposed to not be a good traveler? Ok, maybe I didnt have such a good time. But dont give me the 3rd degree about me not always liking my destination. I go where I want, when I want to, and its non of your concern about how I go about it. Unless you're willing to do all the reservations for me

Quote:
Again, you're a tourist. Im from Florida. Miami, Florida We have beaches, palms, descent looking people, and bars that stay open til 5 am. Tourist go to Miami for a reason.

However, many cities have no beaches, bars close at 2, they are dry, people are ugly, transportation sucks, cold weather, crap markets/malls and so on and so on...

If you think Im going to sit back and say, "Wow, this place is great"...you are out of your raggedy mind. If you dont believe me, go ask New Yorkers how they feel about cities they visit. New Yorkers are some of the most critical people on earth when it comes to cities. And its obvious as to why.

You cant sit here, in my face and tell me I dont have the right to dislike 1 or more cities I go to. Now pack your bags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel