Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:59 PM

16 posts, read 48,987 times

Advertisements

My family, which includes three multi-racial members, moved here from the Central Calif Coast three years ago. We live in the "Beirut" section apparently....at least according to one of the previous posters, who must have lived a sheltered life. Our nearest neighbors are about a quarter mile away and are Hispanic. Most of the other neighbors on this semi-rural road are white. I have not noticed racism here, though of course it exists everywhere to some degree. I'd be more scared of driving through Hollywood during the daytime than I am driving through Pasco at night.

One thing that we didn't know when we moved here is that it gets WINDY around here, sometimes for days at a time. We would still have moved here had we known in advance, but it would have been nice to know so we could have planned for it.

Last edited by cjparker; 11-21-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: wind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 PM

29 posts, read 91,690 times
Once again thank you everybody for all the information.
I've been reading many posts, and it does seem like it gets windy there. Here where I'm at we have the Santa Ana winds periodically, so I guess I have some experience.
I also read that it gets hot there in the Summer, but here in Riverside it gets extremely hot too, so I think we'll be okay.
The Tri-Cities are looking very appealing. Me and my family are planning on sending one or two members to go over there for a while to see if they can find a job and place to live in-we'll probably have to rent. Is this a bad idea?

I've been reading around that it's better to buy a house there rather than rent, but unfortunately we don't have the money for that, and if we remain here in California I feel we never will.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 PM

473 posts, read 1,704,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtubb View Post
Once again thank you everybody for all the information.
I've been reading many posts, and it does seem like it gets windy there. Here where I'm at we have the Santa Ana winds periodically, so I guess I have some experience.
I also read that it gets hot there in the Summer, but here in Riverside it gets extremely hot too, so I think we'll be okay.
The Tri-Cities are looking very appealing. Me and my family are planning on sending one or two members to go over there for a while to see if they can find a job and place to live in-we'll probably have to rent. Is this a bad idea?

I've been reading around that it's better to buy a house there rather than rent, but unfortunately we don't have the money for that, and if we remain here in California I feel we never will.
California is overpriced and overpopulated with the craziest laws against your personal freedoms.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I moved up to the Tri-cities from California in September and I truly love it up here. l moved up here to be closer to my sister and brother-in-law. The weather is nice. The neighborhood is quiet, friendly and close by the river. The school my daughter attends is top notch. It was hard to leave California but I have never been happier, I just need to find a good job making better cash then I am now.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hindsley View Post
I moved up to the Tri-cities from California in September and I truly love it up here. l moved up here to be closer to my sister and brother-in-law. The weather is nice. The neighborhood is quiet, friendly and close by the river. The school my daughter attends is top notch. It was hard to leave California but I have never been happier, I just need to find a good job making better cash then I am now.
Believe me you got out in time as this years ends 2010 nears with more new stupid laws dumped on Californians. I envy you.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM

29 posts, read 91,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hindsley View Post
That sounds great, I'm glad for you and thanks for sharing, though that last little bit makes me feel a bit uneasy-you do not have a steady/good enough wage?
It's the whole job situation that is not allowing me to send someone to the Tri-cities to check it out, that and a family member does not want to leave California if possible.
I think this is going to become a longtime goal as we cannot find a bank or something with a program to help us move. I think my family will wind up living in a cheap apartment here in California until I graduate and hopefully get us out of this situation with a career.

Thank you very much everyone.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM

82 posts, read 325,500 times
Default some housing options

Here's a link to the Hud government website, if you're a first time homeowner you might get more help than most. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) There are links on the site to different government agencies that sell repossessed homes. It's actual government links so its not those scams that make you pay a fee to access a list. Always use caution however, just due to needing to inspect a home etc, their can be hidden damage and difficulty getting insurance, also not all real estate agents are willing to do foreclosure papers. I came from Santa Barbara and by moving here my husband and I bought a house at the age of 22/23 in a nice neighborhood and in-law quarters attached for my disabled mom for $152,900. No way we could've done that in CA. Also last year I checked on financing (for investment property), it was possible to do financing with 5% down because the real estate market is still moving here as long as its your primary home (why it didn't work for me). The only hitch you might run into is employment, you would need to get reemployed here in the same industry for them to look at your past income from CA, at least that's how it was with Chase last year. Call a mortgage broker in the area to get more specialized advice and see if they have creative ideas. You can look at Washington's Work Source website to get a feel for the job market, its a great resource.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM

How about the Obama program? First time buyers will get a tax break too.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM

82 posts, read 325,500 times
Default RE: buying a home, Obama credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
How about the Obama program? First time buyers will get a tax break too.
Yup there's an Obama credit for first time home buyers and also one that's a little less for those who haven't owned a home for the three years prior to purchasing one. It expires sometime this year.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourrousehouse View Post
Yup there's an Obama credit for first time home buyers and also one that's a little less for those who haven't owned a home for the three years prior to purchasing one. It expires sometime this year.
I can't remember what the amount is but if your mortgage takes up 30% (not sure what % is) then you would qualify. Lot of paperwork and questions though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities