Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times

Advertisements

I don't think you will be robbed if you be careful of where you go at night, and pay attention to what is going on around you. The ones that have trouble are the people who are talking on a cell phone while walking down the street, or to their car in a parking lot, and not watching what is going on around them. If you go into an unfamilar area at night, don't go by yourself. I have a concealed weapons permit, so I am always armed, day or night. I've owned a security company for 31 years, and prior to that I was a law enforcement officer, I know there is crime out there. I try to prepare myself for it, my home is very secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 AM

33 posts, read 82,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Trust, there are people who do that. To be honest in my younger days I knew some guys who would dress up in business suits and go to either the airoprt long term parking lots or a MARTA park and ride lot and scope out a car, call a locksmith and get keys cut and drive right off in it and take it directly to a chop shop. And Im talking about nice cars, not your typical "ghetto bucket" that gets hot wired on in given day in Hood USA. You dont hear about it because usually they dont get caught.

If everybody stops ignoring a true robbery, of course they will never be caught. This is why there's no action to catch those robbers. At the meantime, everybody is so selfish and runs away to their safe, stupid cocoon

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Trust, there are people who do that. To be honest in my younger days I knew some guys who would dress up in business suits and go to either the airoprt long term parking lots or a MARTA park and ride lot and scope out a car, call a locksmith and get keys cut and drive right off in it and take it directly to a chop shop. And Im talking about nice cars, not your typical "ghetto bucket" that gets hot wired on in given day in Hood USA. You dont hear about it because usually they dont get caught.
I would be careful with locksmiths. I read it's one of the jobs that prisoners can be trained for because it is a startup business that requires little cash up front. I would also be wary of employees of alarm companies.

I knew a woman who lived in a small neighboring town. She dated a cop who told her never to report to the police if she was going on vacation and the house was left vacant. The names and addresses of these people were put on lists that were passed to other cops in other towns and those homes were often robbed.

I agree about the burqua being an idea costume to hide bombs under and with the 'mask' a robber could not be identified. New York has a law which makes it illegal to wear a mask in public places. I'm not sure, but I don't think it applies to a burqua. I hope they are not waiting until something else happens.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM

33 posts, read 82,971 times
Today is CRIME DAY,a day to remember over,over,over and over again. See it or you don't, believe it or not, it's all gone and nothing will ever recover. The pain and anger will never dissipate even behind the smiles when everyone is busy thinking about their selfish,nasty happiness. Another day,week,month,year and years goes by living in this HELL CITY!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I've never been robbed face-to-face but had my storage unit broken in to and most of my "good stuff" stolen. Stupid me had every box marked with what was in it. There was never a doubt in my mind that it was the storage unit manager who did it. (Story too long to tell.) I reported it to the police and all they ever did was take a report. There was never any investigation.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Years ago, in broad daylight, in a really nice neighborhood, some guys tried to carjack my father's best friend.

He was driving a CHERRY, mint condition '65 convertible Mustang, red, original seats, gorgeous car... and he was driving it for the last time - his ex had gotten it in the divorce.

When they pulled the gun on him at the light and told him to get out, he got excited, jumped out of the car, hands in the air and laughing as he backed away said, "Here - take it! It's all yours! Just filled her up for you!"

The two males ran away. He was yelling, "Aw come on!" after them. True story.

I told a police officer friend of mine and he said that the guys were probably afraid there was a dead body in the trunk.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleures87 View Post
Today is CRIME DAY,a day to remember over,over,over and over again. See it or you don't, believe it or not, it's all gone and nothing will ever recover. The pain and anger will never dissipate even behind the smiles when everyone is busy thinking about their selfish,nasty happiness. Another day,week,month,year and years goes by living in this HELL CITY!
You should write, if you do not. This is poetry. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,549 times
Smith & Wesson....don't leave home without it!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Nope...well not successfully. Unless you have a gun/machete with you I might get mad and rob you if you try to rob me, luckily I've never been put into a situation such as that. I'm not trying to sound "tough" (I'm a very nice person) but a fist full of keys or a bottle and it's over lol.

I don't carry much at night though, I'm not fighting over $5 (again, even though I "won").

Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
I have had my car window smashed and a lot of valuables taken while moving. We stopped off in Amarillo TX for a margarita and met some guys who asked us to go play pool. We agreed and wouldn't you know it, smashed window with all the cards, letters, poems of my life taken. That was many years ago. Why didn't they just take the stereo and TV and leave it at that? My friend had a feeling and ran out to the car and sure enough.

Yesterday there was a stabbing two blocks down the road from me and I live in a nice and safe neighborhood. Even though the victims knew the perps, I still am very wary. I always keep my doors locked during the day and night and do not answer the doorbell if it rings, unless I am expecting someone. I just ignore it. One can never be too careful in this day and age and with the economy as it is.

I've thought about getting a gun (single woman living alone) but honestly don't want one in the house. This may change at some point. Once my alarm started beeping so I called the cops and it took them 10 minutes to get here. I'd be dead IOW if I ever had to rely on 911. And the cops asked me a question which still creeps me out...do you have a pool in your backyard? I do. Since that would be my escape route (most likely), I wonder why they asked me that question. Can anyone think why they'd ask me that question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime