Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

In my local city a 15 year old(dominican) was murdered by older teenagers( mexicans) for his sneakers. Just a week later another teenager( puerto rican) was stabbed to death and his attacker caught in NYC. These stories made headlines but created a bigger stir outside the city and outisde the latino community where it happened. If anything people are demanding more police and tougher enforcement in hopes of preventing further tragedies.
There have been some equally pointless and intolerable crimes involving whites murdering each other and they also received media attention. But the public was united in demanding swift justice and punishment. If there'd be the same attitude in the city, a push for an end to violence from the community, things would change. There is short lived outcry but its never focused on the problems( unemployment, drugs, crime, violence, youths being allowed to run wild) and things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Have we all learned to ignore and accept murders in some neighborhoods as normal?
There has been lots of brutal murders and they are not payed much attention.

In chicago there was. 14 year old shot 22 times and the story didn't make much news.
There's been kids beaten with bats, burned purposly run over, etc. Etc. No one seems to care.
Yes. Its your kid, not mine. Raise taxes and give me more free handouts. I don't care about anything else, unless it is knocking on my door...

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I saw this thread when scanning the forums this morning, and want to chip in with another unsolved urban murder case.

When growing up in Philly back in the 1960's, one of my best friend's kid sister was murdered, and it has never been solved.

Her name was Dolores Della Penna, and she was murdered in Philly in 1972. She was only 17 years old, and her body was completely dismembered.

Horrible crime, and never solved by the Philadelphia police.

Dolores Della Penna

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

297 posts, read 520,035 times
I also want to point out that there are a lot of murders and disappearances of middle class white people in safe suburbs that get no national media attention either. It's not just inner city murders that are ignored. I feel that to get mentioned on national CNN, you a.) have to be white or Asian (maybe) (if you're famous or very wealthy, you can be black or hispanic) and you b.) have to have something unique to your story that can be sensationalized. Take the JonBenet story for example; the pageants are probably the #1 reason why that case received so much attention. I don't think socioeconomic statuses matters for white people who have an "interesting" case since I can name a few murdered kids who lived in trailers and received national media attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime