Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 09:49 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Occam's razor deals with the most likely scenario to explain something. And it's a useful way to process information, generally.

But God help us if the criminal courts start using "most likely" instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt" as the standard for finding guilt.
You are right about a useful way to process information: anchoring of the body negates all "potential" Lacy "sightings", "suspicious" vans, "robberies" nearby, "cults"

And obviously: we are not on jury duty here. The legal definitions still stand in a court of law.

It is not the first case decided based on circumstantial evidences (multiple) by juries all over the country.
Scott was convicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 10:00 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times
Quote:

So. Let me ask, truthfully, if you are grieving the disappearance of your wife and unborn baby, would you NOT whistle a sigh of relief that the remains turned out not to be Laci?

See how this works both ways? It works both ways, depending on whether you are convinced Peterson is guilty from the getgo, or whether you are neutral and processing information as it comes in?
Are you seriously implying "grief" whistle defense here?
The guy who were on the phone with his mistress pretending to be in Paris while attending a vigil for his wife? Grieving?

What was/is your second option? Lets try that again

Old 10-23-2020, 10:44 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
There is no question at all.
Think about it: why would a robber, or a kidnapper, a serial killer would need to make sure the body would not be found and bother with the weighted anchors? It takes time to find or make those anchors- it is risky as it takes time.
They could have simply threw her in a shallow grave or the bay...The anchors means planning and pre-meditation- someone close to her who did not want her to be found.
None of us can know what trouble a robber or kidnapper or serial killer would go to unless we were that person. If I were one of them, I would take pains to make sure a body would not surface, but that's just me. I think things through.

Quote:
Scott did it.
Occam's razor
Fine. Produce the physical evidence that shows this to be the case.

Quote:
Occam's razor deals with the most likely scenario to explain something. And it's a useful way to process information, generally.

But God help us if the criminal courts start using "most likely" instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt" as the standard for finding guilt.
Exactly the problem.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If it wasn't weights/anchors that kept Laci at the bottom of the shipping channel until April 14, what kept her from floating to shore in January? She was tossed onto shore without her head. Why did it fall off? Bloating usually happens within 3 days with bodies in the water.

There's also the small matter of concrete anchors at Scott's warehouse (photos available online).
Gah. I think that was addressed in the CJ podcast, but it was one of their first episodes (and a double, IIRC), and that was about 80 episodes ago.

I might do a re-listen. They covered it pretty well.

I did not follow the case closely at the time, although I remember it being in the news.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
None of us can know what trouble a robber or kidnapper or serial killer would go to unless we were that person. If I were one of them, I would take pains to make sure a body would not surface, but that's just me. I think things through.

Fine. Produce the physical evidence that shows this to be the case.

Exactly the problem.
How many robbers in history kidnap a victim for a watch or tennis bracelet and go to the trouble of giving the victim a change of clothes and dump the body in the ocean?

According to Scott and faulty witness statements, Laci was wearing black pants and a white shirt walking the dog on Dec 24. All of those claims are excluded since Laci was wearing tan pants when she left the house murdered.

There are no serial killers connected to the disappearance and murder of Laci Peterson, no reason to toss that into the discussion without a reference.

There is evidence that Scott murdered his wife, including secret boats and home made anchors at work.

Are we to believe that, 20 years ago, robbers went to the trouble of kidnapping and hiding bodies in the ocean to steal a bracelet or watch? That's not what robbers do today. They don't typically spend time and money to hide the crime.

Let's, for a moment, assume that the bracelet robbers or satanic culters decided to go to the trouble and cost of framing Scott for the cost of a bracelet/watch. Why would they do that? It's far easier to frame him by leaving her body in the ditch on the way to the marina - and they don't need to sort out a boat.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:15 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Gah. I think that was addressed in the CJ podcast, but it was one of their first episodes (and a double, IIRC), and that was about 80 episodes ago.

I might do a re-listen. They covered it pretty well.

I did not follow the case closely at the time, although I remember it being in the news.
I remember waking up one morning in late 2002, sitting down at the computer and the headlines were about a missing pregnant woman on Dec 24th. Her favourite holiday is Christmas. I was curious, as were others.

I remember it well from reading the news at the time.

There's no mystery surrounding the anchors. The night that Laci was reported missing, police went to Scott's work related warehouse, where he claimed that the lights didn't work. Police shone headlights into the space to see what was going on. They came back with a search warrant to discover there was nothing wrong with the lights, and there was evidence of homemade concrete anchors. Remember Laci's hair in the pliers? How did that happen when she didn't know he had a boat and there's no reason for pliers to be near her head? When was the last time someone tangled your hair in work site pliers?

Regardless, bodies don't sit at the bottom of the ocean for 3.5 months until they are tossed up by a storm without some form of restraint. Do robbers go to that length to hide a body after stealing a $100 bracelet watch?

Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
How many robbers in history kidnap a victim for a watch or tennis bracelet and go to the trouble of giving the victim a change of clothes and dump the body in the ocean?

According to Scott and faulty witness statements, Laci was wearing black pants and a white shirt walking the dog on Dec 24. All of those claims are excluded since Laci was wearing tan pants when she left the house murdered.

There are no serial killers connected to the disappearance and murder of Laci Peterson, no reason to toss that into the discussion without a reference.

There is evidence that Scott murdered his wife, including secret boats and home made anchors at work.

Are we to believe that, 20 years ago, robbers went to the trouble of kidnapping and hiding bodies in the ocean to steal a bracelet or watch? That's not what robbers do today. They don't typically spend time and money to hide the crime.

Let's, for a moment, assume that the bracelet robbers or satanic culters decided to go to the trouble and cost of framing Scott for the cost of a bracelet/watch. Why would they do that? It's far easier to frame him by leaving her body in the ditch on the way to the marina - and they don't need to sort out a boat.
You are preaching a false narrative, and when you do that, you can't find the truth.

No one would kidnap and kill a woman for a $75 watch. If they wanted the watch, they'd have just taken the watch.

The discussion becomes frustrating and boring when people discussing it latch on to things that are not true, and extremely unlikely, and tout them as the truth.

You don't get further in understand a case/exploring possibilities when those who are conversing and purposely misleading the discussion.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
There is no question at all.
Think about it: why would a robber, or a kidnapper, a serial killer would need to make sure the body would not be found and bother with the weighted anchors? It takes time to find or make those anchors- it is risky as it takes time.
They could have simply threw her in a shallow grave or the bay...

The anchors means planning and pre-meditation- someone close to her who did not want her to be found
Scott did it.
Occam's razor
Dumping the body in the Bay could also be an easy way to make it look like Scott did it and take any suspicion away from yourself.

The burglars across the street for an example would not want any suspicion to fall onto them. If they watched the news, they would know that Scott was the main suspect and know that he went fishing that day and that info could help be helpful if they in fact did it.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I remember waking up one morning in late 2002, sitting down at the computer and the headlines were about a missing pregnant woman on Dec 24th. Her favourite holiday is Christmas. I was curious, as were others.

I remember it well from reading the news at the time.

<snipped>?
That is one of the reasons I don't follow the news at the time of a big case like this. I'd rather wait for a book or a documentary when all the information is in.

I sat on a murder trial jury, and I followed the rule of not reading anything in the press about the case, but I asked my mother to save the articles for me.

I read them after the trial, and it was startling to see what the press wrote about vs. what actually was said in the courtroom. Almost without fail, they grabbed on to one thing that was said on any given day and focused on it while leaving a whole lot of other very interesting information out.

Even then, the jury doesn't get to hear everything. I read the book eventually written about the murder, and I learned that there had been several other attempts to kill the guy that weren't presented when the jury was in the room because the defense successfully had argued against them being entered as evidence. (Didn't help the defendant any. He is now in the 27th year of a life sentence with no possibility of parole for 30 years. He was 20 years old when he went to prison.)

Look, I'm certainly not claiming that Scott Peterson is innocent. But in this country the presumption of innocence until proven guilty is a sacred thing, and after listening to the entire story, I'm not sure that there was enough hard evidence to prove that he was guilty.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Dumping the body in the Bay could also be an easy way to make it look like Scott did it and take any suspicion away from yourself.

The burglars across the street for an example would not want any suspicion to fall onto them. If they watched the news, they would know that Scott was the main suspect and know that he went fishing that day and that info could help be helpful if they in fact did it.
Where did they keep the body until that came on the news?

Because IIRC (it's been a decade or more since I dug into this story, so maybe I'm wrong) it was at least 24 hours before LE got the straight story from Scott. When was the first news report that Scott had been fishing in the Bay? If the robbers had gone by the first stories he told about golfing, they'd have dumped her on the road to a golf course.

I know there's no way I'd keep a stranger's body in my van for an entire day. Heck, there's no way I'd pick up a dead 180 lb pregnant woman who is a stranger to me and who I have no connection to and put her in my van to begin with. Now if I knew her, and I had killed her in a place that is associated with me, then I might have the motivation to move her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime