Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 AM

14,437 posts, read 14,379,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He was justified? I have a counterpoint to this. I love how this lynch mob is portraying Martin(he's already dead but so what) as a drug running, gang banging, drug crazed, up to no good, looking for trouble, hoodlum, who initiated the confrontation.... Which, of course, Zimmerman *with his ESP* already knew!! So Zimmerman took him out! Like the good ole neighborhood watch man is supposed to do. Vigilante style!
He don't need no f******g cops!! My thoughts are he should be charged with something other than murder. You can't just blow away an unarmed person then go home and eat pizza. Although, you never know going by this crowd
The reason this case has generated the number of posts that it has is that it is racially charged and it represents a "certain narrative" that is held by a large number of white males.

The narrative that many in this group believe goes something like this:

1. "Everyone knows that black people commit almost all the crime."

2. "Young black men are the most dangerous group:"

3. "Even those young black men who aren't committing crime are generally lazy and not contributing to society".

4. "We (White America) cannot count on the police to protect us from THEM. We have to do the job ourselves".

5. "If a few innocent black men get killed in this process, that's just the price that has to be paid to rid this country of crime"

6. "Anyone who tracks down a young black man with a gun and shoots him is justified in doing so for the reasons stated above."

I don't personally pretend to know whether GZ is guilty or innocent. That's a question I will leave for this jury. It does bother me that GZ insisted on tracking TM with a gun even after the police told him not to do it. It bothers me more that TM ended up being shot and killed.

However, what bothers me most of all are the number of posters here who cannot wait for the system to take its course. No, in their minds, the trial should never have occurred. GZ was a great guy who was somehow "protecting his community". If there is a not guilty verdict, not only will they exult over it, they will probably tell us that all his legal expenses should be refunded as well.

This is proof to me that racism still exists in this country. In some ways, the reaction bothers me more than what GZ did.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,484,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The reason this case has generated the number of posts that it has is that it is racially charged and it represents a "certain narrative" that is held by a large number of white males.

The narrative that many in this group believe goes something like this:

1. "Everyone knows that black people commit almost all the crime."

2. "Young black men are the most dangerous group:"

3. "Even those young black men who aren't committing crime are generally lazy and not contributing to society".

4. "We (White America) cannot count on the police to protect us from THEM. We have to do the job ourselves".

5. "If a few innocent black men get killed in this process, that's just the price that has to be paid to rid this country of crime"

6. "Anyone who tracks down a young black man with a gun and shoots him is justified in doing so for the reasons stated above."

I don't personally pretend to know whether GZ is guilty or innocent. That's a question I will leave for this jury. It does bother me that GZ insisted on tracking TM with a gun even after the police told him not to do it. It bothers me more that TM ended up being shot and killed.

However, what bothers me most of all are the number of posters here who cannot wait for the system to take its course. No, in their minds, the trial should never have occurred. GZ was a great guy who was somehow "protecting his community". If there is a not guilty verdict, not only will they exult over it, they will probably tell us that all his legal expenses should be refunded as well.

This is proof to me that racism still exists in this country. In some ways, the reaction bothers me more than what GZ did.
Thanks for this great post. I find your comments very interesting especially as I'm not from the US.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,208,846 times
markg91359,

Just moments ago the prosecutor was trying to strike his lead investigator's testimony that he believed George Zimmerman was telling the truth. The question was stricken - but the jury already heard the answer. That impression will be hard to ignore.

You go on about white racism - but you are ignoring the black racism that initiated this trial. If the prosecution and investigators were not pressured; this would not be a trial. George Zimmerman never would have been charged.

PS I work in a multi-racial environment. I have talked to many about this trial. The one thing that I have heard over and over again is that GZ is dead if he walks. In all fairness; we also heard the same about OJ walking. But that thinking is the same that many think GZ did to Trayvon - regardless of the facts.

Last edited by fisheye; 07-02-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,700,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
He was justified? I have a counterpoint to this. I love how this lynch mob is portraying Martin(he's already dead but so what) as a drug running, gang banging, drug crazed, up to no good, looking for trouble, hoodlum, who initiated the confrontation.... Which, of course, Zimmerman *with his ESP* already knew!! So Zimmerman took him out! Like the good ole neighborhood watch man is supposed to do. Vigilante style!
He don't need no f******g cops!! My thoughts are he should be charged with something other than murder. You can't just blow away an unarmed person then go home and eat pizza. Although, you never know going by this crowd
Since I haven't seen a single person in this thread say that, I'm assuming you must be dragging stuff here from somewhere else. Your silly post is 100% made up. I would guess even you don't believe it.

A prime example of why I love the ignore button.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,287,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You just recognized the problem. Zimmerman should not be patrolling the neighborhood asking people 'What you doin' here?' That's engaging them.
So asking some one a question gives them the right to attack you?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,127,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
So asking some one a question gives them the right to attack you?
too bad Trayvon isn't here to tell his side of the story. George can say pretty much whatever he wants when describing how the confrontation started, as there weren't any witnesses to the situation until they were on the ground.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,637,232 times
The thing I don't get with all the arguments on Zimmerman's side, is that they make him out to be such a victim because he was getting punched or his head was getting hit against the ground. Why does that give him the right to shoot Martin, when he was pursuing Martin, and Martin was fighting back in his own self defense. So in Florida, if I were to chase someone with a gun, that person turns around and fights me to protect himself, I then can call that self defense and shoot the guy? That doesn't make any sense- and if that is how the law currently is in Florida, it needs to be changed ASAP!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,698,653 times
Im pretty sure someone slamming your head into the ground gives you the right to shoot someone. Id rather shoot someone than have my skull crushed in, get brain damage, or die. That is GZ's account. Not saying its what happened, but if it is then I agree with him doing what he did.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,287,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The thing I don't get with all the arguments on Zimmerman's side, is that they make him out to be such a victim because he was getting punched or his head was getting hit against the ground. Why does that give him the right to shoot Martin, when he was pursuing Martin, and Martin was fighting back in his own self defense. So in Florida, if I were to chase someone with a gun, that person turns around and fights me to protect himself, I then can call that self defense and shoot the guy? That doesn't make any sense- and if that is how the law currently is in Florida, it needs to be changed ASAP!
What if that person following you stopped, turned around was walking back to his car when you attacked him? Would that give him a right to protect him self? Following somebody is not a crime, asking somebody what they are doing is not a crime. Do you know how you defend your self from some one following you? YOU GO HOME or another "safe" location, you don't turn around and chase them.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
If I was taking a walk, and someone asked me what I was doing, I would be offended. I might also feel threatened.

We communicate with others, not only with words, but we also bring our ''Communication History'' to every encounter. If I have only had negative interactions with some people, I bring that bias to the table. Also, if someone speaks to me loudly, I may assume that the person is aggressive, whereas, maybe that person speaks loudly all the time.

This entire situation could be analyzed in terms of miscommunication, bias, and escalation on both sides.

Which is why, I think we don't spend enough time really discussing communication and distortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime