Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times

Advertisements

It's just good to know that Atlanta and Georgia are not that bad compared to the other Southern cities and states.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:23 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It's just good to know that Atlanta and Georgia are not that bad compared to the other Southern cities and states.
I'd rather be in the Atlanta area than Memphis, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, or Birmingham.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,104,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I checked Meridian's murder rate for 2014 and 2015. Respectively, 22 and 24 per 100,000. It's had some years with lower murder rates, but it has been somewhat high.

There is an interesting relationship between Mississippi and Memphis.
First: You can't use that rate for Meridian.

Second: Many people who settled in Memphis have roots back in the Delta.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM

824 posts, read 714,034 times
Des Moines- 14 murders, down from 22 last year.

I believe Boston has had 42 murders this year. It's been pretty good in Massachusetts this year throughout the state, though Boston had an uptick this year, Boston's murder rate was the lowest it had been in years in 2015.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Not just Black Mississippians, White Mississippians too. Being that it's in Missouri, obviously it won't be as southern as Mississippi. However, this is also a cotton growing region, and the accent in the area is more southern than the rest of Mississippi.
Didn't know that about the white Mississippians , thanks for the insight.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'd rather be in the Atlanta area than Memphis, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, or Birmingham.
As much both of you may lament, ATL is no different crime wise from the others listed. Heck, ATL had a higher homicides than Memphis ( historically speaking) and every city that's mentioned have the same factor : Charming side & Worst side. End of day majority of these murderous/dangerous incidents happens in the low income segment of these places. Comparing cities slums is the focus of this overall thread .

Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
First: You can't use that rate for Meridian.

Second: Many people who settled in Memphis have roots back in the Delta.
I looked it up.

As for Memphis, I know that many have roots in the Delta. One reason I mentioned that relationship. .

Old 12-17-2016, 02:44 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,421,159 times
Quote:
Well, you are the one who said the Midwest is more dangerous than the South. For that, you made it about the Midwest. I have evidence to show you the opposite.
I know I did, and I followed that up by posting links to further my exact claim. It wasn't about me making it about the Midwest, it was about you trying to mask your insecurities by redirecting the whole premise of this thread, into a different direction.

No matter what my feelings are against the Midwest, it still doesn't change anything what I wrote in terms of how "dangerous" the Midwest is in relation to the South. And even with stating that the South is more murderous than the Midwest, it also doesn't seem to bother the growth that can be seen happening within those Southern states as well.

Memphis, New Orleans, and Birmingham are improving more and more on a monthly basis, I'd bet that they're also growing at a faster pace as well, compared to their Midwestern peer-cities.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I know I did, and I followed that up by posting links to further my exact claim. It wasn't about me making it about the Midwest, it was about you trying to mask your insecurities by redirecting the whole premise of this thread, into a different direction.

No matter what my feelings are against the Midwest, it still doesn't change anything what I wrote in terms of how "dangerous" the Midwest is in relation to the South. And even with stating that the South is more murderous than the Midwest, it also doesn't seem to bother the growth that can be seen happening within those Southern states as well.

Memphis, New Orleans, and Birmingham are improving more and more on a monthly basis, I'd bet that they're also growing at a faster pace as well, compared to their Midwestern peer-cities.
Well, I showed murder rates. The murder rates point to this: The South leads in murder rates. And I was not talking about the South's growth in population. I don't care. That has nothing to do with the murder rate. You said the Midwest was more dangerous. Only one state in that region is in the top 10 as far as murder rates go.

BTW, this article of the fastest growing metropolitan areas. Memphis, Birmingham, and New Orleans are not among them.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I looked it up.

As for Memphis, I know that many have roots in the Delta. One reason I mentioned that relationship. .
Meridian homicide rate isn't 22-23 but 2-3. That per 100k doesn't work for cities like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime