Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I wonder who they were. [/i]
Professional Audio, Los Alamos, and one you didn't list

Quote:
A record describing the method by which the supposed voices could be duplicated.
And those capabilities somehow surpass those of the FBI and the Secret Service? (As well as multiple other organizations?) No chance. Aerospace Corporation didn't release their records for a reason.
Aerospace isn't going to give out information as to how they did it. That would be dumb because that's part of how they make their living.

Aerospace did allow BPD personnel to listen to the enhanced tapes, and they heard the voices. Whether there was a formal report or not, I don't know. It seems logical to me that Aerospace allowed BPD to hear the tape but declined to say anything further because there is a minor's voice on the tape.

Last edited by PennyLane2; 01-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
A record describing the method by which the supposed voices could be duplicated.

And those capabilities somehow surpass those of the FBI and the Secret Service? (As well as multiple other organizations?) No chance. Aerospace Corporation didn't release their records for a reason.
You and I really aren't in a position to answer the question, but evidently Aerospace surpassed the FBI at the time of analysis.
Similar to questionable DNA analysis and interpretations, we can choose to accept it...or not.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
There's Professional Audio Laboratories (but it’s not in Los Alamos) and there’s a Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos (on the list on post #2875) - both claim no voices heard.

From the Jonbenet Ramsey case encyclopedia website, which still contains some original data from the crime that has not been removed (but which you have to search though since some of their sources are just posters' opinions):

"There have been 9 audio analyses of the 911 tape used to determine whether there are additional voices that can be recovered from garbled portions of the tape:

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) (Washington, DC; requested by BPD (1997).
United States Secret Service (Washington, DC); requested by BPD (1997).
Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, California); requested by BPD (1997).
Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM); requested informally by Pete Hofstrom.
Legal Audio (New York, NY); requested by MSNBC (2003).
Team Audio (Toledo, OH); requested by MSNBC (2003).
An unnamed company used by CBS.
Professional Audio Laboratories (then in Spring Valley, New York; now headquartered in Park Lawn, NJ); commissioned by Tricia Griffith, forum owner of Websleuths and Forums For Justice."

Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:

"There have been 9 audio analyses of the 911 tape used to determine whether there are additional voices that can be recovered from garbled portions of the tape:

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) (Washington, DC; requested by BPD (1997).
United States Secret Service (Washington, DC); requested by BPD (1997).
Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, California); requested by BPD (1997).
Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM); requested informally by Pete Hofstrom.
Legal Audio (New York, NY); requested by MSNBC (2003).
Team Audio (Toledo, OH); requested by MSNBC (2003).
An unnamed company used by CBS.
Professional Audio Laboratories (then in Spring Valley, New York; now headquartered in Park Lawn, NJ); commissioned by Tricia Griffith, forum owner of Websleuths and Forums For Justice."

1. Did any of the nine companies above provide reports?

I'm interested in knowing why not one of them had any results.

2. Where are CBI and Bode laboratory reports?

3. Why after 20yrs is there a need for DNA retesting?

4. You're saying you watched the CBS show and didn't hear any audio?

5. What kind of explanation for those of us who've said we did?

Last edited by virgode; 01-18-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Aerospace isn't going to give out information as to how they did it. That would be dumb because that's part of how they make their living.
I was listing three:
1. Professional Audio
2. Los Alamos
3. Now that you've listed it, Griffith's

I have read some information as to how Aerospace enhanced so as to hear the voices. It has something to do with JAZ, separating voice strands, and listening to them on separate tracks. My eyes glaze over when I start reading that stuff. I think it's on both FFJ and Websleuths.

Virgode - I also read about some additional voice at the beginning of the tape. Now I understand your post about PR saying "Police" (code for shut up, you two ).

Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I was listing three:
1. Professional Audio
2. Los Alamos
3. Now that you've listed it, Griffith's
I don't understand what you're saying. Professional Audio Laboratories was commissioned by Tricia Griffith (who is an owner of 2 crime forums). Neither that organization nor Los Alamos National Laboratory were able to find any voices.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
1. Did any of the nine companies above provide reports?
No idea, but since 8 out of 9 labs couldn't detect voices, it seems that it would up to the lab who claims it DID find them to provide credence for their claim.

Quote:
2. Where are CBI and Bode laboratory reports?
Parts of Bode's are all over the Internet.

Quote:
3. Why after 20yrs is there a need for DNA retesting?
Your guess is as good as mine. Obviously there are more out there who believe a Ramsey did it than there are who believe IDI.

Quote:
4. You're saying you watched the CBS show and didn't hear any audio?
I didn’t watch the TV show. I watched the video clip of the the "enhancement" CBS did that was posted on this thread.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 AM

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Interview With Lin Wood

Aired July 11, 2003 - 21:00 ET

(plays 911 tape)

"KING: Does she remember that call well, Patsy?

WOOD: I don't think so. I think that she was in such a state of mind that morning, her mind racing, her daughter missing, that she really does not have a great recollection of what she said.

You know, one of the things that I think led to the Boulder police fighting so far to keep this tape from being made public, in addition to the voice of Patsy Ramsey, was the fact that after Patsy hung up the phone, the Boulder police claimed that she had somehow not hung up the receiver on the wall phone and that there was a conversation that was picked up through an enhanced version of this tape that involved John and Burke, the 9-year-old son, and Patsy.

And that when they were interrogated by the police, John and Patsy said they didn't speak to Burke after the 911 call. So that was allegedly the smoking gun, that Patsy Ramsey lied.

KING: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) who appeared on this show (UNINTELLIGIBLE) accused Patsy of being the murderer. He was the one that claimed JonBenet's brother, Burke, could be heard at the end of the 911 tape.

WOOD: Absolutely, and that information was leaked out from the Boulder Police Department in September of 1998. Again, allegedly the smoking gun, the objective proof that the Ramseys were lying.

Well, in fact, that conversation is not on that tape. It's been enhanced by the FBI, the Secret Service, they found nothing. I gave it to one of the rival networks, NBC News. They hired two independent experts. They tested it. There absolutely is no voice on there discernible that belongs to Burke or John or Patsy.

KING: We had Patsy being interrogated by investigators about the 911 call and whether or not she talked to anyone else at the end of the call. Let's listen to that from 1998.

(BEGIN VIDEO TAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Was there any conversation immediately following your last words to the dispatcher?

P. RAMSEY: I don't remember. I was out of my mind. My child was missing. I was trying to convey that to the person on the other end of the line. OK? I don't remember.

Do you have it on tape and would like for me to hear it, I'll listen to it and see if that's (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There is something.

P. RAMSEY: OK. All right. Well, if you've got the tape and we can play it then I'll try and help you.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

KING: And you enhanced the tape, and there was no conversation?

WOOD: The test shows that there was no conversation. And you noticed that when Patsy said, "Play the tape, I'll listen. Maybe it will jog my memory." They don't play the tape.

KING: Where did they get the idea from?

WOOD: You know, Larry, there was -- evidence was established that there was, in fact, a plan by the Boulder Police Department to leak information accusatory to the Ramseys to the media, in an effort to convince the public that they were guilty, to pressure them so that somehow they might confess."

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying. Professional Audio Laboratories was commissioned by Tricia Griffith (who is an owner of 2 crime forums). Neither that organization nor Los Alamos National Laboratory were able to find any voices.
You're right. The third one should be Legal Audio. However, all three found evidence of additional voices. Griffith also admits that Professional Audio was working with a third generation tape. Since BPD had the original tape, I have to assume that Aerospace was working with the real thing. Add that to highly specialized equipment and skilled people that Aerospace had available, and that's why their lab was able to enhance to a degree that voices could be so well defined.

Lin Wood harps on the FBI and SS not being able to hear additional voices. I think that's just LW puffing out his chest and spouting off things that he thinks the general public will buy. Most people do believe that the FBI and SS are all-knowing, but they're not. Both of those agencies depend on outside labs all the time.

We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
It's a moot point whether Patsy lied...she and Wood did enough to mitigate the "lie"...the only value is if what was said can be discerned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime