Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 16,034 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to work in the Green Valley area this December.

Currently: I am a single, 28 year old male from Illinois. I have a truck, trailer, ATV, motorcycle, and I own a house with 2.5 acres. I am located in an isolated country setting. I have a 30 min commute to work; 20 min drive to a small town with the necessary amenities: grocery store, auto parts store, and a gym. I am an hour drive to the nearest large city with luxury amenities: butcher shops, liquor stores with a selection of craft beers, coffee shops, and a variety of restaurants.

(Option A)
I enjoy my current lifestyle very much. I enjoy the privacy, space for all of my toys, and distance from neighbors. No kids so I don’t care about school district. I do enjoy the finer things in life but as they aren’t necessarily part of everyday life- mainly on the weekends, I don’t mind the distance. I have been researching isolated homes in scenic desert and mountain areas, 360 degree vistas! It would be best to find an isolated property between Green Valley and Tucson to split the distance. However, if there were a more ideal area west, east, or south of Green Valley I am open minded. Being able to use my ATV, mountain bike, hike, off of my property is very appealing to me. Are there any recommended areas or advice you could provide for this type of living?

(Option B)
On the flipside- maintaining a house, land, toys, and myself while working 10+ hours a day can be a bit overwhelming at times. I recognize the value in free time and lower stress levels of not being a home owner. Relocating will give me the opportunity to redefine my life and lighten my load to an apartment or a small house and property in a domesticated area. Even though AZ sounds like an ideal area for the off-road hobby, I would not mind selling off the trailer and ATV and trimming down to a mountain bike. I won’t give up the motorcycle which means at the least a garage is a must. The concept of having no strings attached renting an apartment is very appealing- especially after reading about the potential extinction of a water supply in the Green Valley area . Are there nice apartments with garaging in the Sahurita Area? Condos for rent? What type of leisure business are there in Sahurita? Many of the employees of the company live in that area- but they also have wife and kids which is best suited for investing into grandeur homes in gated communities and home owner associations; not my style .

With traffic in mind, I have my doubts that commuting from Tucson to Green Valley would be desirable. I’ve read south Tucson is less than desirable and north Tucson adds to the commute and is over priced. It would be nice to have reasonably convenient access to Tucson, I dig the microbreweries and vibe of the town.

I’m pretty pumped about the move!

Thank you much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,871 times
Wirscjd:

I’m not sure Green Valley will meet your needs. One problem is, at least one person in a household has to be 55 years of age or older. The area is quiet and somewhat “suburban” in appearance and layout.

The area around Tucson that seems to me to be somewhat rural is to the south of Green Valley. I’m thinking of the town of Amado, and, further in to the desert, Arivaca (too far a commute to Tucson).

Perhaps there are places in Sahurita that will meet your needs. None the less, that community, from what I’ve seen, may be a bit too built up for your taste as well.

You really ought to come on down for a visit to check the area out for yourself before committing to a location.

Rich

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,917 times
There are some non-age restricted areas in Green Valley. It would be best to talk to a realtor about finding them. There are also a couple of apartment communities, but they are not overly nice. There are also a couple of places that offer garages but they aren't brand new. You would be better off renting a single family home in Sahuarita (or certain areas of GV). If you want to buy and have a little more land for your toys, look into Sahuarita Highlands. The homes are all on 1+ acres and have great views. Less than 10 min to Green Valley. Vail is also an option.

Don't rule out Tucson. You could easily live there and commute depending on what area of the city you choose. I live in Sahuarita and commute to NW Tucson for work. It takes about 40 min each way. I don't mind the drive as traffic is always light. You will just have to decide if you want rural living or try city living. You might want to rent before buying. It will give you time to figure out exactly where you want to be. Other than outdoor activities, not much to do in GV/Sahuarita. The area sounds like your current small town. There is a movie theater, Walmart, grocery stores, auto parts and a few restaurants. You will probably spend your weekends in Tucson. The downtown area (with bars, etc) is just 15-20 min north. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirscjd View Post
I will be relocating to work in the Green Valley area this December.

Currently: I am a single, 28 year old male from Illinois. I have a truck, trailer, ATV, motorcycle, and I own a house with 2.5 acres. I am located in an isolated country setting. I have a 30 min commute to work; 20 min drive to a small town with the necessary amenities: grocery store, auto parts store, and a gym. I am an hour drive to the nearest large city with luxury amenities: butcher shops, liquor stores with a selection of craft beers, coffee shops, and a variety of restaurants.

(Option A)
I enjoy my current lifestyle very much. I enjoy the privacy, space for all of my toys, and distance from neighbors. No kids so I don’t care about school district. I do enjoy the finer things in life but as they aren’t necessarily part of everyday life- mainly on the weekends, I don’t mind the distance. I have been researching isolated homes in scenic desert and mountain areas, 360 degree vistas! It would be best to find an isolated property between Green Valley and Tucson to split the distance. However, if there were a more ideal area west, east, or south of Green Valley I am open minded. Being able to use my ATV, mountain bike, hike, off of my property is very appealing to me. Are there any recommended areas or advice you could provide for this type of living?

(Option B)
On the flipside- maintaining a house, land, toys, and myself while working 10+ hours a day can be a bit overwhelming at times. I recognize the value in free time and lower stress levels of not being a home owner. Relocating will give me the opportunity to redefine my life and lighten my load to an apartment or a small house and property in a domesticated area. Even though AZ sounds like an ideal area for the off-road hobby, I would not mind selling off the trailer and ATV and trimming down to a mountain bike. I won’t give up the motorcycle which means at the least a garage is a must. The concept of having no strings attached renting an apartment is very appealing- especially after reading about the potential extinction of a water supply in the Green Valley area . Are there nice apartments with garaging in the Sahurita Area? Condos for rent? What type of leisure business are there in Sahurita? Many of the employees of the company live in that area- but they also have wife and kids which is best suited for investing into grandeur homes in gated communities and home owner associations; not my style .

With traffic in mind, I have my doubts that commuting from Tucson to Green Valley would be desirable. I’ve read south Tucson is less than desirable and north Tucson adds to the commute and is over priced. It would be nice to have reasonably convenient access to Tucson, I dig the microbreweries and vibe of the town.

I’m pretty pumped about the move!

Thank you much for any input!
..............I was born and raised in north/central Illinois and lived there for 33 years and am familiar with Peoria and that general area. With that being said, I also am familiar with the Tucson area, GV, Amado, Vail, Sonoita, etc; I am not a resident of AZ, but have spent many, many months (both winter & summer) over the last 6 years in that area; have many friends that live in the area between Tucson and Sonoita and hope you find your move meets your expections.

I would strongly suggest you rent for at least a year before you consider purchasing a home....particularly if you have not spent several weeks during different times of the year in that general area. In any case.........at least an exploratory visit of 10 days is mandatory...............IMHO!

I wish you luck................................

Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Thank you all for the replies! I am currently on a temporary assignment in China but when I return to the U.S. in November I plan on using up all three weeks of my vacation touring the Tucson to Green Valley area and then moving. I visited the area for the interview but it was only for a day, I had no time to establish thoughts. I was more concerned with getting to the interview and returning to the airport on time. Although I would need to either sell or store my trailer and ATV, renting does sound like the smart move until I am familiar with things. I would hate to hassle with storage, and if I sell the items I doubt I’d spend the money to buy them again (which is a good indicator of how badly I need them).

Must haves are a car- motorcycle- and bicycle. Do you have any recommendations on quality apartments or condos in the general area that have garage options which would accomodate a reasonable commute to Tucson (reasonable being? one hour maximum)? The bicycle can go in the house, the car can sit outside, but I’ve read a lot about motorcycle theft.

My dad is currently watching my black Labrador during my three months in China. He is already a dog owner and has an American Bulldog with a doggy door and fenced in back yard. I love my dog very much but am considering asking my dad if he would keep him for good. With the heat, dust, cacti, scorpions, and snakes, I don’t feel like it’s an ideal environment for dogs. Even during a drought its green everywhere in the Midwest and it is a very harmless environment. I recognize dog ownership is possible- there’s snake awareness training for dogs and ways of mitigating other hazards but I also work 10+ hour days frequently which is unfair to him.

Montana Griz:

I am actually from Peoria, IL! Born and raised in Peoria but I purchased a house in Sparland, about 50 minutes North of Peoria. I have lived there for 5 years now. The desert is going to be a huge change from the Midwest. It’s green all over here even during a drought.

P.S. I just started reading through the "Apartment Locations and Suggestions" thread wow is this going to be overwhelming! Too many choices!

Last edited by Wirscjd; 09-27-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
My suggestion, Wirscjd . . .

Forget Green Valley (too "retired") and Sahuarita (too bedroom) and focus your Home Search on a Town or Patio Home fairly close to the freeway (I-10) in Tucson. Not lots of open spaces but at least not a huge apartment complex and you should be able to find something with a Two-Car Garage for your toys and a home for your Lab.

Welcome and Good Luck.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 AM

Bummer:

I did some research on renting a house vs apartment and I tend to agree that it would accomodate me much better. But there must be hidden expenses- bang for buck renting a house seems like a much better deal. An ideal setup for me would be a studio apartment with a 3 stall garage but I know that's not going to happen.

If I rent I will be living in town- no isolation until I buy.

I definitely see what you mean by Sahuarita being "too bedroom." Cookie cutter town. Reminds me of the prologue of the television series "Weeds." Lots of people trying their damnest to live the American dream.

Even though I have no real experience with it, Tucson seems much more appealing to me. However, my commute from Tucson to Green Valley is a solid hour. If I were to live in Sahuarita, the commute would be cut in half to 30 minutes. Over time, that's a huge time and fuel cost savings.Plus- there's some outrageously nice houses for ~1000$ a month in Sahuarita New construction quality houses with 3 bedroom house and two stall garage, entirely too much house for my needs but that's almost how much a decent apartment in Tucson is!

Renting a house seems like such a better deal than an apartment- what am I missing? There must be a boat load of hidden costs. I'm currently a homeowner with 2.5 acres of grass so I know about yard maitenance. Az doesn't have leaves to rake nore grass to mow. I have no idea what utilities for an apartment would run as I've never lived in one. My house utilities typically run 100-200$ depending on the season. I imagine the difference in cost of larger home utilities would be covered being able to do my own vehicle repairs and maitenance.

Again, thank you all for the replies!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,917 times
You won't have an hour commute to Tucson if you stick along the NW side and close to I-10 as Bummer suggested. Probably 45min. As I mentioned, it only takes me 40min. Sahuarita butts right up to Green Valley. Not much of a separation. No way will it take you 30 min. More like 5-10min depending on where you will be working. It might not be a bad thing to rent close to work at first. When you figure it all out, you can move up to an area that fits you in Tucson. I don't think there will be a lot of hidden charges to renting a house. I rent out my previous home and pay the HOA, repairs and landscaping costs. My tenant pays rent and utilities only. Most people renting out their homes in Sahuarita cover those costs as well. There are several property management companies in Sahuarita/GV with house listings. Craigslist has some as well.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Bummer:

I did some research on renting a house vs apartment and I tend to agree that it would accomodate me much better. But there must be hidden expenses- bang for buck renting a house seems like a much better deal. An ideal setup for me would be a studio apartment with a 3 stall garage but I know that's not going to happen.

Again, thank you all for the replies!
Just as an example, Wirscjd . . .

The Two Bedroom or Three Bedroom Two Bath Patio Homes with a full Two-Car Garage where I live near the Tucson Mall rent for about $800 a month. My TEP Electric averages out to about $80 bucks a month. Granted their is no isolation but there is also no exterior maintenance whatsoever which is primarily why I stay. There's something to be said for convenience.

Also, there are plenty of bike lanes available plus it is only about a block from The Rillito River Bike Trail which is Tucson's Bike Trail that I believe could be used all the way down to GV. I'm a very casual bike rider with about a 10 mile range so that's definitely not for me but I'm sure there are some who have done it.

I hope this comparison information helps.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
....................................when I return to the U.S. in November I plan on using up all three weeks of my vacation touring the Tucson to Green Valley area and then moving...../............................Excellent idea.............but bear in mind those three weeks encompass some of the BEST over-all weather out of a typical year!

.......................... With the heat, dust, cacti, scorpions, and snakes, I don’t feel like it’s an ideal environment for dogs. Even during a drought its green everywhere in the Midwest and it is a very harmless environment. I recognize dog ownership is possible- there’s snake awareness training for dogs and ways of mitigating other hazards but I also work 10+ hour days frequently which is unfair to him.......................................I am so glad you are giving a lot of thought to how your dog will fit into your over-all change in enviroments

I might suggest that you strongly consider leaving your dog with your Dad for at least the first 6 months............then after you have had time to REALLY get to know what areas you like and those that you don't, and have a chance to talk to other dog owners in the area where you THINK you may want to end up living...................then, and only then will you be able to make a decision about your dog.

I should mention at this point that I have had my two Brittanys with me during All of the time I have spent in AZ.......................however I had them "SNAKE_BROKE" by a professional the very first time I took then into the state of AZ......and I have them innoculted every year with their booster shot of "SNAKE VACCINE"..............

Also, there is a condition called "VALLEY FEVER" that is also a potential hazard for dogs in AZ.............talk to local vets and dog owners..... (about the various hazards your dog may encounter).... in the area you may choose to live.

Oh, just one more thought (suggestion):

It is about a 45 mile drive from GV to SONITA, AZ (over on highway #83)..........................
Make sure you take the time to spend at least half a day over in the area all around Sonoita....
I think you will be VERY impressed (over-all) with that area:..........1/ far less catci; 2/ much Greener; 3/ rolling grass lands and far more trees; 4/ very little traffic; 5/ a very small town and very friendly people.

I have spent A LOT of time in and around Sonoita over the last 5 years.........and a few years back, I looked at several homes that were available for purchase. (If it were not for the fact that I finally came to the realiziation that I could not handle the "summer-time temps" in June, July & Aug",.......and I'm just "a little too old" to make a major-move of that magnitude at this point in my life................if it were not for those two reasons, I'd be living in that area.).

.....very good quail hunting in the area, particularly south of the town.
.....3 or 4 good restaurants there.
.....IF I were to ever move to AZ............I would definitely choose the Sonoita area.

Now realize I am not suggesting that you consider trying to find a rental in that area (based on the fact that it would be a 50 to 55 minute drive to GV)..................However, again, I repeat that I think it would be advisable that you be aware how vastly different the "country-side" is in that area VS Tucson and the area immediately south of Tucson..............Just my humble opinion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson