Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM

105 posts, read 227,772 times

Advertisements

Going to be moving to Sahuarita/Green Valley this year. I've had a 20 plus year relationship with Citibank and it has been the best bank experience I've had. Sadly they don't seem to have an Arizona presence.

Any recommendations for an alternative ? As a senior using direct deposit I expect no fees of any kind other than the fact that they get free use of my money.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:19 PM

331 posts, read 465,503 times
I've been hanging out at this forum a lot lately, as I'm researching a new place to live within the next couple of years.

Of course, I don't live in AZ and don't have experience with Tucson area credit unions - but I've had very positive experiences doing all my personal banking (including car loans and a first mortgage) with credit unions here in Colorado. It's been 25 years since I had an account at a commercial bank and I have not missed that at all.

Not to hijack this thread, but I think credit unions can be a great alternative to commercial banks especially for personal banking. And I'd like to hear any opinions/experiences with Tucson area credit unions.

BTW, I would only join a credit union chartered by the NCUA (think FDIC for credit unions). You can search for NCUA credit unions by location on their website. I searched for Tucson and checked out a couple of the credit unions I found - for those two, you can join if you live, work, volunteer, or worship in the county where they're located.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:27 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,086 times
In GV/Sahuarita, there are a couple different locations for Chase and Wells Fargo. We've had no issues with either bank and been members for many years.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:33 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Banks in Green Valley, Arizona with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sownman View Post
Going to be moving to Sahuarita/Green Valley this year. I've had a 20 plus year relationship with Citibank and it has been the best bank experience I've had. Sadly they don't seem to have an Arizona presence.

Any recommendations for an alternative ? As a senior using direct deposit I expect no fees of any kind other than the fact that they get free use of my money.

Thanks
With Direct Deposit and Online Banking, Snowman . . . why do you feel the need to change banks?

You may want to consider a "back-up account" at a local bank or Credit Union if necessary for ATMs, etc.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sownman View Post

Thanks

I have been to most of the banks in that area and honestly, I really cannot recommend any of them - Chase, Wells Fargo, BMO Harris, etc. None of them are particularly helpful and some have pretty limited hours.

I would probably use on the the credit unions - Tucson Federal Credit Union has a location in Sahuarita.

If I had to go with a bank, I would go with Washington Federal or US Bank as there service is a bit more personable. If you need a safe deposit bank, go with Washington.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
With Direct Deposit and Online Banking, Snowman . . . why do you feel the need to change banks?

You may want to consider a "back-up account" at a local bank or Credit Union if necessary for ATMs, etc.

The bank that I am using currently has six branches ... outside of Akron, OH. I have NO INTENTION of moving my account to AZ at this point because I get great service. This bank has an agreement for free ATMs with US Bank and most credit unions and will reimburse $12 a month to offset any fees.

There are two drawbacks with this approach. First, except for Washington Federal, none of the Green Valley banks will rent you a safe deposit box without having a depository account. I have never seen that in other places I have lived. Also, depositing cash can be a hassle although the new ATM machines are able to handle that.

By the way, Green Valley merchants and contractors accept out of town checks all the time without much hassle.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
I've had an account with Citi as well (over 20 yrs)and all that they have here is a few ATM's and NONE of them accept deposits. For a bank as big as Citi I find this pretty odd. Bummer, the problem is that sometimes I get a check and need to deposit it. I would need to do it by mail (would not do this) or go to another state. (completely insane) I will problably move to Chase where my wife has an account.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM

105 posts, read 227,772 times
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into a credit union but my past experience is they are not what they once were. They used to be a collective of members for the benefit of members but years ago that ceased to be the case, at least at Technicolor FCU where I was a member. They charge more for loans and pay out less in interest than banks nowadays. I think the benefit of credit unions is a myth that current users just have not taken a close look at for far too long and keep propagating it, but I will investigate them again.

As far as why would I need a bank building with direct deposit and ATM ? Well sometimes you get checks that are from other sources than SS and pension, you need a teller. Sometimes a dispute arises and you need a building with a human to discuss it with, and sometimes you need to sign a document.

Citibank set up a system of having an ATM at every Seven Eleven store in addition to their branches which has been very convenient in California. There is a Seven Eleven every few blocks in most of So Cal.

I will probably end up with Chase or Wells, whoever offers the most ATM's. I have bad recent experience with US Bank where I have been managing my Moms accounts, the fees and lack of interest in helping solve problems was an issue for me when dissolving her estate. I will never set foot in BofA again.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Have you spoken to a manager at Citibank to see how you can remain a customer? I would think they would be interested in making accommodations for you. Perhaps Citibank could help you choose your Arizona bank so you get one where you can use your Citibank ATM card with no charges. No reason you can't still have your direct deposits go into your Citibank account and pay your bills through them, even though you don't have access to their brick and mortar bank.

I do 99% of my banking online. I have a savings account and CDs at a bank that exists only online (and in one building in New Jersey). I do almost everything online. I keep a checking account and have a safety deposit box at a local credit union (which also affords me very low-cost notary services) but even with them I do my banking online. I deposit any paper checks I receive there and if I build up enough cash in that account that I want to buy another CD or move money into my savings account, I just have the credit union do a wire transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson