Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's about 20 miles south of Tucson, a bunch of golf courses and retired people, with about 24,000 people residing there. The reason it is "slightly" cooler than Tucson, a lot less people (less concrete/asphalt) and it's about 3,000 ft. above sea level, where the valley Tucson sits in, is at 2,400 feet. As you drive south, even southeast from Tucson, the elevation increases as you go toward the border with Mexico. Think of Phoenix (~1,086 ft above sea level) as the bottom of a bowl as you go north, east and south/southeast from there the elevation increases. You don't really notice driving from Phoenix to Tucson or vice versa that you are increasing and decreasing almost 1,400 ft. since it's over a long distance which makes it very gradual.

I rented a car this week that had a altimeter on it. I drove from Sky Harbor to Tucson, to Green Valley and down to Nogales. It was interesting to see the differences in elevations because the change is so gradual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:06 PM

124 posts, read 202,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
cjseliga is correct about the temp difference with Green Valley and Tucson. Sahuarita, which is in between Tucson and Green Valley is a little bit cooler as well. In the rural areas of Sahuarita (where I have a home), we were always about 5 degrees cooler than Tucson.
The heat is tolerable in the summer if you stay in the shade, wear a hat (especially having one of those hats with a flap for your neck....like this one http://www.amazon.com/ADAMS-HEADWEAR-EXTREME-CONDITION-HAT/dp/B007ZH3EF4/ref=cts_ap_2_fbt ) and carry water with you whenever you drive.

Good thing about the Tucson area is that you don't have to worry about haboobs which come up often during the monsoon season. They usually occur starting at Picacho Peak off of I-10 and head north into Phoenix. Here is a link for one that happened last year to Phoenix.
Haboob Wind Storm Blankets Phoenix Area With Choking Red Dust - NBC News

Let me tell you....they are HORRIBLE to be in especially if your driving. You have idiots stopping on the road while the rest of the idiots go 80 mph so that they can get through the mess quickly. Lots of wrecks happen.
I'll check it out. Thanks mate

Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
They're not that bad...they're worse. Better do all your outside stuff before 0800 or even 0700. We gave the area a one year try and moved back home in December. But, we're keeping the AZ house for winters and will do the snowbird thing. I won't miss summer in AZ or the income tax or the expensive vehicle registration.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM

So the message I'm getting is its actually bearable if you wear light clothing, try to stay in the shade, and drink lots of water, is that right? Also I just want to know, for those of you who live in Tucson: do you enjoy living there, if you get what I mean?

Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
So the message I'm getting is its actually bearable if you wear light clothing, try to stay in the shade, and drink lots of water, is that right? Also I just want to know, for those of you who live in Tucson: do you enjoy living there, if you get what I mean?

In general, I have a blast, even during the summer months. After the past two months, it will be great to see things slow down in March and April.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
I now it might sound counter intuitive, especially during the hot times of year, but I always felt Arizona, and I guess the desert southwest (AZ, NM, southern UT, extreme western TX) in general, is a place for those who love the outdoors. Yes, you can spend 90% + of the hotter months in air conditioning, but I love hiking and would use Tucson and southern Arizona as my playground on weekends during the summers. I guess if you have limited mobility and can't really get out and go places, one might feel trapped to be indoors in AC for 6 months, but since you seem to be a millennial and young, you should do fine, plus there is a small "Hippy" artsy vibe in Tucson.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I now it might sound counter intuitive, especially during the hot times of year, but I always felt Arizona, and I guess the desert southwest (AZ, NM, southern UT, extreme western TX) in general, is a place for those who love the outdoors. Yes, you can spend 90% + of the hotter months in air conditioning, but I love hiking and would use Tucson and southern Arizona as my playground on weekends during the summers. I guess if you have limited mobility and can't really get out and go places, one might feel trapped to be indoors in AC for 6 months, but since you seem to be a millennial and young, you should do fine, plus there is a small "Hippy" artsy vibe in Tucson.
So even in the summers physical exercise is enjoyable? All right man
And yeah, I'm a huge outdoors guy so I'm psyched

Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
So even in the summers physical exercise is enjoyable? All right man
And yeah, I'm a huge outdoors guy so I'm psyched
Elevation is your friend in the summer months, and on the valley floor if I wanted to go run 3 miles or so, I would just wait until the sun goes down, which is earlier than most people think, due to no daylight saving time.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
If climate and recreation is your main reason for relocating why not check out Prescott (5,000+ feet elevation) which has much cooler summers. It supposedly gets "cold" for some people and gets some light snow that melts within a day or two but I don't find it bad at all. It's easier to go down in elevation for relief on the one or two weeks it's "cold" then to go up to escape months of heat.

I don't mind Tuscon as a larger city, but I personally would never live in the southwest again unless I was at least 5,000 feet elevation. 5-7k feet elevation seems to be the sweet spot for me with a mild 4 season climate. Never too hot or too cold. I also find Northern AZ to be much better for outdoor recreation opportunities but that's subjective and Southern AZ does have a lot to offer as well. YMMV good luck to you.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
If climate and recreation is your main reason for relocating why not check out Prescott (5,000+ feet elevation) which has much cooler summers. It supposedly gets "cold" for some people and gets some light snow that melts within a day or two but I don't find it bad at all. It's easier to go down in elevation for relief on the one or two weeks it's "cold" then to go up to escape months of heat.

I don't mind Tuscon as a larger city, but I personally would never live in the southwest again unless I was at least 5,000 feet elevation. 5-7k feet elevation seems to be the sweet spot for me with a mild 4 season climate. Never too hot or too cold. I also find Northern AZ to be much better for outdoor recreation opportunities but that's subjective and Southern AZ does have a lot to offer as well. YMMV good luck to you.
I looked at Prescott, but the vibe I got was "great for retirees, not so much for everyone else;"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson