Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM

75 posts, read 249,526 times

Advertisements

you have the ozarks in nw arkansas about 90 minutes away and you have also have the Ouachita MTNS. Here is a link USDA Forest Service - Ouachita National Forest They are about 2 hrs south of Tulsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,197 times
I appreciate the posts from everyone. It's good to get some more information on the area. It seems as though most of the posters in these thread are trying to push everyone towards Midtown or at least South of downtown- any reason? Are the North, East and West all rundown or is it just that all of the money is in those areas? My wife and I will likely be renting for up to a year after we move and I'd like to live close to downtown/parks etc. Any nice lofts/apartments that anyone could suggest? Something with some height would be nice just to provide me with a sense of a change in elevation Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,351,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udowado View Post
I appreciate the posts from everyone. It's good to get some more information on the area. It seems as though most of the posters in these thread are trying to push everyone towards Midtown or at least South of downtown- any reason? Are the North, East and West all rundown or is it just that all of the money is in those areas? My wife and I will likely be renting for up to a year after we move and I'd like to live close to downtown/parks etc. Any nice lofts/apartments that anyone could suggest? Something with some height would be nice just to provide me with a sense of a change in elevation Thanks again!
In general, you would be correct. I actually live out east, but there are neighborhoods that aren't run down in those areas everywhere.

Tulsa is not known for a lot of high-rise apartment dwellings; they do have some.

University Club Towers is about 377 feet tall with 32 floors, built in 1966.

2300 Riverside is about 176 feet tall with 16 floors, built in 1961.

Both of those are just examples, they are just south of downtown but along the River and should provide great views of the city. Do a search for both of those to find out information. Everyone I've ever known that lived at UCT LOVED it there. It's a little more expensive, but you typically get what you pay for.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
In general, you would be correct. I actually live out east, but there are neighborhoods that aren't run down in those areas everywhere.

Tulsa is not known for a lot of high-rise apartment dwellings; they do have some.

University Club Towers is about 377 feet tall with 32 floors, built in 1966.

2300 Riverside is about 176 feet tall with 16 floors, built in 1961.

Both of those are just examples, they are just south of downtown but along the River and should provide great views of the city. Do a search for both of those to find out information. Everyone I've ever known that lived at UCT LOVED it there. It's a little more expensive, but you typically get what you pay for.

I was always curious. What's the rent for a two bedroom there (UCT)?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM

620 posts, read 1,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
There was a song a few years ago about the Tulsa Mountains....when John Erling was on the radio.
This truck driver was looking for the Tulsa Mountains. Erling was little help. (courtesy of Joe Riddle and Wayne McCombs). You can listen to it by clicking on this link.

http://tulsatvmemories.com/realaud/tulsamtn.ram

Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I was always curious. What's the rent for a two bedroom there (UCT)?
From what I read the average is about $900 for a two bed/two bath. That was back last year, though.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,862,513 times
Thanks, Bill. Brought back some good memories.

I think if you google lofts for rent in Tulsa, you may find some more downtown. The old newspaper building has been turned into lofts of various sizes.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 10,245 times
OH WOW- you guys, come on, Tulsa is FANTASTIC for cycling!! We have SO MANY cycle events- 21st is called Avery drive is goes all the way from Sand Springs to downtown and it is so popular- and it's so hilly also referred to as Turkey Mountain- the weather is awesome right now and every time i'm on Avery (like 4 times a week) there are cyclists, and my sister in law/father in law are die hard cyclists! My sister in law did "hotter than hell" (goes from like Kansas to Texas or something crazy like that) while she was preganant!! You're going to love Tulsa! I'm not a native myself but it is a bit slow paced so you feel like you're "living" life, (i'm comparing to Dallas), everything is within 30 min max drive, and you should really check out McNelly's for downtown food- they are like a little pub with any flavor brew you want, and the sweet potatoe fries/crab cakes/bon bons are to die for!!!! There is also an area called Redfork (west tulsa off old route 66, on the train tracks) that has a restaurnant called Ollies and its full of trains that run around the top edge etc. they have a fabulous breakfast buffet on the weekends! As for the market- it has never been stronger! Tulsa pulls a solid 8% return yearly on property, some areas more that are hot on development- you can't get that anywhere as far as cd's, stocks, IRA's etc. So besides being a great investement, our foreclosures aren't as drastic as the E and W coasts. Now the FINANCE market is something else all together- it is undergoing many changes that effect the direct sales market, but as far as property value- it's steady, consistent, and on the rise. With FHA ending their 100% product the rental rates are about to soar and most my investors are not only trying to put cash into land before tax time, but they are anticipating the rise of the rentals again- something we haven't seen for about 5 years due to the 100% loans!! It's a great day in Tulsa!!! I hope you all have wonderful weekend! The weather is awesome and there's just an energy to the town right now!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristybise View Post
OH WOW- you guys, come on, Tulsa is FANTASTIC for cycling!! We have SO MANY cycle events- 21st is called Avery drive is goes all the way from Sand Springs to downtown and it is so popular- and it's so hilly also referred to as Turkey Mountain- the weather is awesome right now and every time i'm on Avery (like 4 times a week) there are cyclists, and my sister in law/father in law are die hard cyclists! My sister in law did "hotter than hell" (goes from like Kansas to Texas or something crazy like that) while she was preganant!! You're going to love Tulsa! I'm not a native myself but it is a bit slow paced so you feel like you're "living" life, (i'm comparing to Dallas), everything is within 30 min max drive, and you should really check out McNelly's for downtown food- they are like a little pub with any flavor brew you want, and the sweet potatoe fries/crab cakes/bon bons are to die for!!!! There is also an area called Redfork (west tulsa off old route 66, on the train tracks) that has a restaurnant called Ollies and its full of trains that run around the top edge etc. they have a fabulous breakfast buffet on the weekends! As for the market- it has never been stronger! Tulsa pulls a solid 8% return yearly on property, some areas more that are hot on development- you can't get that anywhere as far as cd's, stocks, IRA's etc. So besides being a great investement, our foreclosures aren't as drastic as the E and W coasts. Now the FINANCE market is something else all together- it is undergoing many changes that effect the direct sales market, but as far as property value- it's steady, consistent, and on the rise. With FHA ending their 100% product the rental rates are about to soar and most my investors are not only trying to put cash into land before tax time, but they are anticipating the rise of the rentals again- something we haven't seen for about 5 years due to the 100% loans!! It's a great day in Tulsa!!! I hope you all have wonderful weekend! The weather is awesome and there's just an energy to the town right now!
While most of this is correct, Avery Dr/21st St between the West Bank of the River to past Chandler Park is not referred to as Turkey Mountain. Turkey Mountain is on the west bank of the Arkansas River near 71st Street.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Where this poster is referring to is Avery Dr which is 21st St heading west past Chandler Park.

Chandler Park is located at the link below:

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,436 times
Hello.
Tulsa is a growing community. Back in the early 80s, there was a huge slump in the Tulsa market of job because the oil industry went to Texas and the airline industry started moved to other states. Benefits of continued retirement income disapated because companies no longer offered good incentives to workers. However, I believe that is true with all companies.

Tulsa has a versatile sales market that is able to grow small business into large businesses.
The housing market still has large homes for about 1/3 of the cost to buy into larger cities.

Tulsa is a great place to live and work with tons of job oppertunities, nightlife, and still maintain the small town friendly feel.

Good luck to your and your growing family.

Loyce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa