Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 AM

40 posts, read 111,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You guys, I have to laugh at this. The OKC people and the Tulsa people often have such disputes between themselves as to which city is better. But don't let an outside city jump in there cause people from both cities would defend the other one to the end.
Lo, yep, being a resident of OKC I have argueed how OKC is better several times but I always defend Tulsa if someone bashes on it when comparing to a city outside the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM

40 posts, read 111,733 times
Oh and on topic. Ive spent sometime in Kansas and it was miserable. Take Tulsa anyday.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Booker T. Washington Magnet High School Ranked 65Th In America

[quote=Howest2008;10670479]Here's the web link Les Pharis..................................Booker T. Washington High
School of Tulsa Oklahoma ranked 65Th in American High
Schools.You must take (2) or more steps getting to the
proper web page because Wikipedia Messed-Up......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_...Tulsa_Oklahoma

Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM

95 posts, read 235,059 times
Thank you! I knew they were probably ranked in the top one hundred. I could find other areas that
Wichita is doing better than Tulsa but that would probably be counterproductive. There are some
folks out there with more pride than good judgment and that would probably just irritate them.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Yeah You're Right......LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Pharis View Post
Thank you! I knew they were probably ranked in the top one hundred. I could find other areas that
Wichita is doing better than Tulsa but that would probably be counterproductive. There are some
folks out there with more pride than good judgment and that would probably just irritate them.
Yeah sure you're right , just throw some positive facts about
Wichita out on the thread..I was borne in Metro Tulsa..left home and
have lived in California the past 30 plus some odd years....

Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
............I...................have lived in California the past 30 plus some odd years....
Where did you live the even years?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM

95 posts, read 235,059 times
Too funny! Big Okie mentioned that big stinking river that flows through town. Isn't that the same
one that meanders through Tulsa? I think I remember Koch Industries being fined by the EPA for
flushing chemicals downriver back in the 70's and 80's. It must magically rejuvenate to its former
pristine state before it hits Keystone. Maybe the difference in pronunciation throws everybody off
and they think it's a different river. Pray it doesn't catch fire.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,898 times
Quote:
Too funny! Big Okie mentioned that big stinking river that flows through town. Isn't that the same
one that meanders through Tulsa? I think I remember Koch Industries being fined by the EPA for
flushing chemicals downriver back in the 70's and 80's. It must magically rejuvenate to its former
pristine state before it hits Keystone. Maybe the difference in pronunciation throws everybody off
and they think it's a different river. Pray it doesn't catch fire.
Nope, I'm talking about the open sewer that runs in the middle of I-135.

And our river is pretty damn clean. Must be something about it being in Oklahoma instead of Kansas.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Default LOL....FOMC...Falling Out My Chair..that's Really Funny..

Originally Posted by Howest2008
............I...................have lived in California the past 30 plus some odd years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Where did you live the even years?
I Lived The Odd Year's In CALIFORNIA And The EVEN Year's In
CALIPHONEY.....LOL...FOMC.....

Old 09-21-2009, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 30,553 times
Quote:
I've lived in both and while they have similarities, they're really quite different. The most obvious is that Tulsa is in the south and people here tend to have a blended mid-western and southern accent.
Linguistically Wichita is mid-western so people having a southern accent are kidded about it. People
from Oklahoma tend to be warmer (not that people from Wichita are not friendly). Not too many folks there eat okra, milk gravy, grits, cornbread, etc. I've never found a bierock yet in Tulsa though. Tulsa has better barbeque. WSU is a public university, closer in size and scope to OSU whereas TU is a private university even though both are in an urban setting. Wichita has McConnell Air Force Base, Boeing, Cesna, more emphasis on aerospace. Tulsa has more energy sector business. A hill in Tulsa would be a mountain in Wichita. Wichita is a windy place. Tulsa is a lot hotter and more humid. Wichita has much harsher winters. Tulsa is undoubtedly much prettier in general given the topography, trees, etc. While both are very conservative areas of the country, I find Wichita more progressive. Not that they are disinterested but there tends to be a lot less fanaticism toward sports and football in particular than you find in Tulsa. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Just trying to be helpful.
Grew up in Wichita, and lived in Tulsa for the past 12 years. This is exactly what I would say.

Also, in Wichita, people tend to be more reserved about the merits of the city. I grew up taking piano lessons from a international concert pianist, played in an Orchestra, and was involved in a child's theater group that performed in NYC on a "tour", went to a very "white collar" church that trumps anything I've attended in Tulsa, and never heard anyone talk about Wichita's "culture" in a way that implied they felt it was superior to another city of its size. If anything, the city's working class roots/majority have contributed to a massive inferiority complex.

I was surprised to move to Tulsa, which felt very similar, and find that the citizens' opinions were the 180 degrees away from Wichitans'. There's a lot of city pride here.

Also, Wichita is more polarized in terms of its "progressive"/"liberal" population than Tulsa, but its non-conservatives are also far more outspoken than Tulsa's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa