Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM

14 posts, read 21,475 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating to the Tulsa area but I have some questions. We currently live in Phx and are sick of the crimes, immigration issues, HORRIBLE EDUCATION and 115 degree summers. I don't think we want to live in Tulsa.. is it a very large area? I am looking more for the smaller city with access to the large city but I DONT want it to run into the large city. In other words, I want some distance between our city and the large one. I have heard about Owasso and Broken Arrow. Those seem to be mentioned alot on here. Any advice on that??
Here is where I need help too:
- How is the education there? Any school districts in particular you recommend?
- What are the demographics? Alot of married families is what I want.
- How is the weather each season?
- Are the people nice there?

ANYTHING you can offer would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,996 times
I think Tulsa would be a great fit for your family! Glad you are considering it...definitely a change of pace from Arizona.
As far as education goes, most people seem to prefer Jenks, Union, Owasso and Broken Arrow. (And some particular schools in Tulsa district). South Tulsa isn't my favorite area of the city (very suburban and lots of traffic near the mall and into Broken Arrow) but it does have the "best" schools and is family-oriented. Broken Arrow pretty much blends into south Tulsa...I haven't spent much time in BA so I can't vouche for what it's like. Both Glenpool and Bixby are a little further south so you might consider those when searching for a home.
I haven't been to Owasso in years- live in Okc now so I have no idea what's it's like. It does seem a little more seperate from Tulsa though...you might also check out Sapulpa, Sand Springs, and Lake Keystone on the east side of Tulsa. It's very nice out that way with lots of open land and hills.
Finally, you might check out Claremore as well- it's northeast of Tulsa and I've heard a lot of good things about it on here.

Demographics: plenty of married families with kids
Weather: Winters will definitely be a change from Az. You'll need a snow shovel for the rare winters that we get close to a foot of snow (happened at Christmas). Most of the time it's a few storms a yr that don't total more than 3 or 4". Occasionally there's ice storms as well...moreso than major winter storms.
Spring and fall are my favorite seasons in Oklahoma. It rains and storms in the spring, but Tulsa doesn't seem to get as much severe weather as western and central Ok. Oh and it's very windy!
Fall is absolutely beautiful here with highs in the 50's-70's.
Summer....my least favorite season b/c of the heat although coming from Az, your summers sounds much worse! Be prepared for more humidity- although nothing like the deep south and Tx gets. We have a week or two that it'll get above 100, but usually never hotter than 105. Mostly from June to Sept temps are in the 80's and 90's.

Friendliness: Oklahomans are some of the most friendly people in the US. Sure there's still jerks here and there, but most everyone is nice, even in how they drive lol. Expect doors to be opened for you and neighbors to help you out in a time of need.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 21,475 times
Thank you for all of that great information! Windy though?? Yikes.. I hate wind!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofphx View Post
Thank you for all of that great information! Windy though?? Yikes.. I hate wind!
Tulsa doesn't feel as windy as Okc. There's more trees/hills to buffer it.
Spring is the windiest but most days it's nothing too noticeable. Wind chills can get brutal in the winter but again, it's not an everyday thing.
You'll be thankful for the wind/breeze in the summer...helps to cool things down...
But really it's nothing too bad and after awhile you don't even notice it. You learn not to fix your hair in the spring and wear a hat and layers when it's cold.
Don't let it stop you from considering Ok....there's so many positives that outweight the weather.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM

265 posts, read 904,596 times
Broken Arrow is a great community and has one of the lowest crime levels in the whole state and nation. You will find great schools and a great sense of community in Broken Arrow. The people in BA are very nice. The transportation network around town (Broken Arrow Expressway, Creek Turnpike, and Highway 169 a half mile west of the city border) helps getting around easy. Hope your search in the Tulsa area goes well.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM

12 posts, read 39,252 times
Imma backup BAGuy here. You want a decent suburb, BA is your place. It's got great schools, low crime, and being close to major highways to get into the city means you'll never be more than 20 minutes away from anything.

Personally as a 20-something it moves too slow for me to live there and it a bit far from my work for me, but if I were to raise a family, I'd do it there.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofphx View Post
SickOPhx,

The key is to stay upwind from other folks, if you know what I mean.

I agree with all the other posters. Okies are some of the nicest folks on the planet. I think you'll find Oklahoma is a nice blend of Southern/Western culture and pleasantries.

Also, having spent extensive time in Tulsa and the surrounding area, I will also say that Owasso (many Native Okies will say "O-wahs-Uh" haha) is a very nice community....along with the other towns already mentioned (Broken Arrow/Jenks). I've always been VERY partial to Bixby, Sand Springs, and my personal favorite, Sapulpa.

Blessings to ya'll as you make the transition to Oklahoma.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 16,203 times
Default Great place if you are into church

If not I would definitelly not recommend it. BA and Owaso are both full of evangelicals that will not want to have anything to do with you, unless you live and breathe church. We are actually considering moving to PHX right now and can't wait to get out of here.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,900 times
I used to live in Owasso and I must admit, its "Children of the Corn" creepy with how religious it is. Its almost like living in a cult. Dont say this, dont do that, just smile and pretend and try to act like everyone else. Step slightly out of line and....

Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
I would have to recommend Owasso. I have lived here the past 3 years and have found it delightful. The high school here is amazing and as far as shopping, it has everything you need except for a mall. The people have been nothing but friendly, and very courteous especially when it comes to driving. As far as the relgious aspect, no one has ever pushed their relgious views on me....southern hospitality is all I have encountered. Good luck in your move and whatever city you choose.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa