Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This kind of situation still happens. There was the case of baby Veronica, which bounced between two states but ended with the adoptive parent gaining custody. This was by virtue of the birth mother leaving a paper trail. It could have gone the other way if there hadn't been.

I'm sure that there was no paper trail with Edith. That would include a paper trail filed with her name and that was the point of going to Switzerland. She was pushed by her aunt as well. Yes, its sad for the Swiss adoptive parents, but with an unoffical arraingement, they should know something could happen.

I can't imagine nursing a child and weaning them and having to leave after such a bond was made. She still can't have the child with her but nearby she'd be able to know she was alright. Today, however, if nothing was offically recorded she would not have given up parental rights and could take the child back if she chose.
Of course it still happens when biological parents change their minds. That isn't news. That is why today, people have to sign all sorts of custody papers and surrender papers and the like. There is also a period of time in which the biological mother is given the opportunity to make certain she is not going to change her mind before she gives up her baby. If she changes her mind after that, it becomes a court battle between her and the adoptive parents as to who should have the child.

I question whether or not Edith would have been able to take back her baby today if there were no legal papers signed just like that. How would she have proved it was her baby in the first place? If she just handed the baby over at birth with no papers to say she was doing so, how would she prove later on the baby was hers? You can't just waltz into someone's house and say a baby is yours. She would have to get a court order to get a DNA sample or something along those lines but the adoptive parents could always refuse.

Today they could go to court and Edith would have a real fight on her hands and a huge scandal besides.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: added quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
This whole Edith situation reminds me of a classic film in which a titled lady had an illegitimate child and was the biological mother of a boy raised on a nearby farm. She always looked out for him in one way or another and it wasn't until the boy became an adult that the truth was found out. I think it was based on a book and made into a mini series....does anyone know what the name of that might be? For the life of me I can't remember.

But I think this is exactly how it will play out with Edith and her child. And I don't blame her for wanting the child close. The Swiss adoption was forced on her by Aunt Rosalind and Edith always had reservations about it.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
In soap opera land, nothing happens that is not for a reason. Every action; a door opening, a sound being made, a sneeze, anything at all has meaning to the plot. Edith's giving up her baby and then wanting her back could have consequences for her down the road. They could be setting her up for black mail from the Swiss couple or something along those lines.

I just think there has to be a reason why they just didn't have her give the baby to the farm couple to begin with instead of having her bond with the baby, give her away and then change her mind. Given Edith's history of missteps and bad luck, it wouldn't surprise me if this too isn't going to come back and bite her in some form or another.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Of course it still happens when biological parents change their minds. That isn't news. That is why today, people have to sign all sorts of custody papers and surrender papers and the like. There is also a period of time in which the biological mother is given the opportunity to make certain she is not going to change her mind before she gives up her baby. If she changes her mind after that, it becomes a court battle between her and the adoptive parents as to who should have the child.

I question whether or not Edith would have been able to take back her baby today if there were no legal papers signed just like that. How would she have proved it was her baby in the first place? If she just handed the baby over at birth with no papers to say she was doing so, how would she prove later on the baby was hers? You can't just waltz into someone's house and say a baby is yours. She would have to get a court order to get a DNA sample or something along those lines but the adoptive parents could always refuse.

Today they could go to court and Edith would have a real fight on her hands and a huge scandal besides.
Yes, she would. Most of the court cases have been fathers who were never asked for permission to adopt the child with the paperwork required. But Edith said it was only an oral agreement. Thus, the adoptive mother would also have to prove an adoption. I would assume some money was involved, perhaps in trust. But such arraingements were not tha uncommon then. Even today, it might be seen as her leaving the child with them but with no offical surrendering, she would win.

My great uncle was brought back by my great great aunt and uncle when he'd been 'away for a job'. She claimed she'd given birth but there was no birth certificate. The story didn't hold and he was taunted by cousins that he was adopted later, but it was agreed that he *was* family. Some neice had gotten pregnant and her son went to them and didn't shame the girl. This was midwest USA in the twenties but girls did not keep their babies and get respect.

I'm sure eventually this will unravel, but especially with the child so close and taken in under such convient circumstances. And babies tend to grow up looking like a parent and could well look like his mom. I think Robert and Cora and her sister will also findout.

I would guess Edith could ease the adoptive family's pain with cash as well to smooth over taking back the baby.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post

The Edith baby story arc, for some reason, reminds me of something I read about recently. In the 1930's, Loretta Young had an affair with Clark Gable and she got pregnant. Times being the way they were back then, she went to abroad and had the baby, then announced she was adopting a baby (her own) and bringing her back to Hollywood. The baby looked just like Clark Gable, so everyone found out the truth anyway. I wonder if Edith's baby as she grows up will look so strongly like her mother and father to the degree that people would know for sure the truth.
I like that idea. Edith comes back from Switzerland all, "hey everybody! Since I'm obviously doomed to be a spinster deserted by everyone who loves me, look at this 'orphan' kid I randomly adopted! " No need to involve the pig farmer.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I like that idea. Edith comes back from Switzerland all, "hey everybody! Since I'm obviously doomed to be a spinster deserted by everyone who loves me, look at this 'orphan' kid I randomly adopted! " No problem, right?
Given that she believes that she'll never marry, that she's fated to lose anyone who is interested, and she is bonded to the daughter, she might do it if she could. I don't know if it was okay for single women to adopt then, but if she gives her to the farmer, its going to be noticed how often she visits the farm too.

I sure wish they'd showed the Christmas show.....

I remember my mom telling me stories her dad told, and he worked a lead set dresser for one of the studios at the heyday of the studios in the twenties and thirties. There were other actresses with 'adopted children' which everyone knew were their own and who fathered them, but it was accepted and nobody made an issue.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Default Pig Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I like that idea. Edith comes back from Switzerland all, "hey everybody! Since I'm obviously doomed to be a spinster deserted by everyone who loves me, look at this 'orphan' kid I randomly adopted! " No need to involve the pig farmer.
I thought the pig farmer was really nice about the whole situation, taking in an unknown child as his own - WOW! One of the posters said that it would be great if they can have an flash forward episode. I hope Julian Fellowes reads our board and goes with that idea - it's great!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Edith and Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Given that she believes that she'll never marry, that she's fated to lose anyone who is interested, and she is bonded to the daughter, she might do it if she could. I don't know if it was okay for single women to adopt then, but if she gives her to the farmer, its going to be noticed how often she visits the farm too.

I sure wish they'd showed the Christmas show.....

I remember my mom telling me stories her dad told, and he worked a lead set dresser for one of the studios at the heyday of the studios in the twenties and thirties. There were other actresses with 'adopted children' which everyone knew were their own and who fathered them, but it was accepted and nobody made an issue.
Yes, she will be visiting the baby often and I will not be surprised if the rumors started going wild - it's just a matter of time before people know the truth, maybe from how close she seems to the child and maybe the physical resemblance growing more obvious over time.

It would be so interesting to hear the stories of people who worked behind the scenes during Hollywood's Golden Age. All those actresses looking as pure as the driven snow were all too human and during that time the studios had a strict conduct code, not like today. A actress could be fired if her personal life clashed with the moral standards the studios held them to. No wonder they had to be creative when they got in the "family way" but they still wanted to keep their babies. Good thing there were loyal people around these girls to keep their secrets.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But what about the hearts of the adoptive parents? Doesn't that count for something? Don't they get a break? If she were just an ordinary person in society she would have given up her rights and that would be that but she has money and she is using it to buy her child back. Desperate or not, she made her choice and now money is allowing her to reverse that choice. I think it's despicable.

Just think of that poor mother in Switzerland who is going to have her child ripped out of her arms. She has had time to bond with her.

The only way this would be a good thing is if the Swiss parents did the adoption for money in the first place or agreed it was just a foster situation. Otherwise this is just a cruel thing for Edith to do to them.
While I feel for the adoptive couple its all about the baby isn't it?
In this case, and I realize its not always, the baby will be loved, will be taken well care of, will get an inheritance, may end up with 2 actual parents if whats his name comes back and they contrive some sort of adoption.
While on the other hand, what do we know about this Swiss couple anyway? Couples adopt for a variety of reasons and not all of them Hallmark.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Swiss parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
While I feel for the adoptive couple its all about the baby isn't it?
In this case, and I realize its not always, the baby will be loved, will be taken well care of, will get an inheritance, may end up with 2 actual parents if whats his name comes back and they contrive some sort of adoption.
While on the other hand, what do we know about this Swiss couple anyway? Couples adopt for a variety of reasons and not all of them Hallmark.
Maybe, hopefully, the Swiss parents have only had the baby for a short time - Edith hasn't been back very long and she was the one to breast feed the baby, that's why she stayed a little while longer there. I know that bonding can occur quickly, but the longer Edith waited to make this life changing decision, the worse the Swiss parents would of had to suffer to give the baby back to her. When is the right time? A few more months, a few years when the child thinks of the Swiss couple as her parents. Now, the baby won't be traumatized the way she would of been if Edith waited and brought her back when she understands things more. Also, there is the practical matter of an inheritance that the baby is a rightful heir to. I am thinking if Michael turns out to be a good guy after all, he and Edith will get married and then they will "adopt" the pig farmer's "child." Hopefully, this is resolved soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV