Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I can't bring myself to watch this. Certainly improved dress, hygiene and manners wouldn't hurt current day USA but as someone who grew up when women weren't allowed to play sports, only be cheerleaders, couldn't be anything but a nurse or secretary...it seems sad and scary to be watching essentially a soap opera that celebrates all that. If you didn't hold those sorts of opinions (woman are only good for a few certain things) you were reviled, ostracized, called names.
A trip down memory lane for some
a worrisome look at the possible rollback to the future for others
I wasn't born yet at that time, but were'nt women also encouraged to become teachers, Avon ladies, dept. store clerks, waitresses, stews, beauticians, seamstresses and the like? That's still lots of options, and very feminine ones at that, which I think should be celebrated. Not all of us want to become construction workers and truck drivers. JMO.
But it is kind of amusing how unashamedly those women on the show were working toward their MRS. degrees! I don't think that would 'fly' nowadays, NPI.

Also, I think that over the past decade or so, the planes are dirtier than ever. I see trash left stuffed in the seat pockets and the cushions are stained and filthy. I think in the 80s and 90s I always boarded a clean airplane. Another reason perhaps that passengers aren't inclined to dress up anymore. What's the use of dressing up if nobody bothered to clean the cabin before I got on?

Last edited by temazepam; 09-30-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I didn't think of it in that way. Hopefully they will show some of the effort that was made in the 60's to allow women to do these things. I am going to watch but if they glorify the limited role of women in those times I probably won't continue.

In Mad Men a few women do get ahead like Peggy Olson. It did happen sometimes. And then it began to happen more and more as time went by. I am hoping that maybe the show Pan Am will bring us to the place where women are finally allowed to be pilots.
I have yet to be on a plane where the pilot was a female, AFAIK. I've only heard male voices announce, "This is your captain speaking..."
Allowed to become pilots is great, but how many actually go on to take those opportunities?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I sure wish that today's stews would smile once in a while, at least, but now they get bent out of shape for not being called the PC 'flight attendant' instead.
Sad but true.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I have yet to be on a plane where the pilot was a female, AFAIK. I've only heard male voices announce, "This is your captain speaking..."
Allowed to become pilots is great, but how many actually go on to take those opportunities?
Here are some stats from American Airlines.

Female Pilots Make History

Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
There are quite a few female Captains. Most came to the airlines from the military. Because there are more male Captains, the odds of flying with a male is greater. If one flies a lot then they would soon fly with a female.

I fly a lot on Southwest and have been on board with a female Captain.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Great stuff here but alas, it is not on topic of the show. Please keep the posts about the show itself, Pan Am. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
I can't wait for American Airlines to debut next year. Oh wait, Pan Am will most likely be cancelled next year

Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I was disappointed that last night was a rerun of the pilot. I hope there are more episodes to come.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was disappointed that last night was a rerun of the pilot. I hope there are more episodes to come.

I was too. Then remembered that the show is actually on Sunday nights, after Desperate Housewives! Sunday should be a new eppie, Minervah.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was too. Then remembered that the show is actually on Sunday nights, after Desperate Housewives! Sunday should be a new eppie, Minervah.
Whoops! My bad!

No wonder my DVR refused to record it. I have it set on "new episodes only." That dang machine was smarter than me. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV