Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,341,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
MUCH better than Leno, that is for sure. His NBC shows were more Conan like, I loved the old Chris Elliott days. The panicky guy, the guy under seats, etc. That was good stuff.

Leno is a snooze. My 95 year old Grandma likes him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,630,151 times
Letterman is a huge jac*&ss I stopped watching him in the early 90's-I can't believe he is still on tv, I was hoping his scandal would put in end to his career. Guess not

Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,240,714 times
I remember Midwesterners calling Letterman a jerk back in the early 1980s. He's always had the schtick where you don't know if he's for real mocking someone, or just being oblivious, or nasty, or a doofus. Some people are really bothered by that and it makes them angry.

I don't watch Letterman much anymore, but I agree that his performance theme has turned into anti-humor through repetition such that the repetition is the joke. You see this kind of humor through mindless repetition of a phrase or idea on the Simpsons and Family Guy, too. It's seemed to me that Dave has turned to "phoning it in" but he even acknowledges that and incorporates it as part of his schtick. I agree that his "I suck but what can I do I'm paid a lot for sucking" attitude gets tiresome. But it doesn't make me dislike the guy. Seems like several people here harbor some personal animus towards him.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,230,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I remember Midwesterners calling Letterman a jerk back in the early 1980s. He's always had the schtick where you don't know if he's for real mocking someone, or just being oblivious, or nasty, or a doofus. Some people are really bothered by that and it makes them angry.

I don't watch Letterman much anymore, but I agree that his performance theme has turned into anti-humor through repetition such that the repetition is the joke. You see this kind of humor through mindless repetition of a phrase or idea on the Simpsons and Family Guy, too. It's seemed to me that Dave has turned to "phoning it in" but he even acknowledges that and incorporates it as part of his schtick. I agree that his "I suck but what can I do I'm paid a lot for sucking" attitude gets tiresome. But it doesn't make me dislike the guy. Seems like several people here harbor some personal animus towards him.
I think he just doesn't care if people watch and they continue to pay him so just as you say he "phones it in".

A lot of people don't want to be preached to at 11:30 at night when they are watching to laugh, that is part of the animus.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
This is EXACTLY why this country is in so much trouble. Most people are too darn lazy to research things for themselves. It's so much darn easier to take the negative comments as Gospel and jump on the bandwagon.

I just finished watching the three tapes of David Letterman's comments made the night Rachel Ray was on, including his actual segment with her. It was a wonderful interview. Once again, Letterman brings humor to the table but also makes you think, rather than just doing another "puff piece" for the celebrity shilling something. And Rachel Ray was great about it, offering her own intelligent opinions.

I also watched the so-called "apology" which was also funny.

That's the other problem. People have lost their ability to understand seriousness, humor, parody and tongue-in-cheek banter.

I began watching Letterman when he had his morning show in 1980. It was Johnny Carson's wish that Letterman replace him, and the day after Johnny died, the monologue that Letterman performed was written by Carson.

Letterman was fabulous when he returned from by-pass surgery and the country waited for his first show after 9/11, which he handled with such aplomb.

Admittedly, Letterman is older, now 63, and he may not be quite as funny since his marriage. I was also disheartened to hear of issues regarding interns.

But we are all not perfect. He is still one of the best there ever was when it comes to the genre and Leno could never come close to his quick wit.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:28 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,096,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is EXACTLY why this country is in so much trouble. Most people are too darn lazy to research things for themselves. It's so much darn easier to take the negative comments as Gospel and jump on the bandwagon.

I just finished watching the three tapes of David Letterman's comments made the night Rachel Ray was on, including his actual segment with her. It was a wonderful interview. Once again, Letterman brings humor to the table but also makes you think, rather than just doing another "puff piece" for the celebrity shilling something. And Rachel Ray was great about it, offering her own intelligent opinions.

I also watched the so-called "apology" which was also funny.

That's the other problem. People have lost their ability to understand seriousness, humor, parody and tongue-in-cheek banter.

I began watching Letterman when he had his morning show in 1980. It was Johnny Carson's wish that Letterman replace him, and the day after Johnny died, the monologue that Letterman performed was written by Carson.

Letterman was fabulous when he returned from by-pass surgery and the country waited for his first show after 9/11, which he handled with such aplomb.

Admittedly, Letterman is older, now 63, and he may not be quite as funny since his marriage. I was also disheartened to hear of issues regarding interns.

But we are all not perfect. He is still one of the best there ever was when it comes to the genre and Leno could never come close to his quick wit.
r u serious??----conan and jimmy kimmel can top those 2 anyday imho

Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,417,617 times
Letterman remains popular. He's very funny, witty, and entertaining. He's the best. Far cry from that most pathetic Conan, the king of stupid, cornball humor. So this Ray was left to sit there and squirm in the chair...who cares? She's nothing special.

Letterman rules!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
I don't know that I have animus to him. Although the intern thing was a tad sleazy and I liked Stephanie Birkett when she was on so learning about their affair kind of tarnished it for me somehow.

I guess I just don't get celebrities. If you have that much money, and you're getting tired of it, why not just retire? That's something I've never understood about lots of celebrities. They'll act sick of it, say they want a private life, and then keep going. Granted there are a few where I understood it. Like Princess Diana, rest her soul etc, I think would have got reporters hounding her even if she had moved to Ascension Island and started wearing a veil. So she probably figured "nuts to this, if I can't get away from it I might as well use it to do some good." And to an extent I think Elvis and Michael Jackson would have been hounded even if they'd tried to flee it. But I guess I'm so privatey I feel like if you can leave, and want to leave, then leave already.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,239,516 times
Sometimes I think his interviews are really boring but I don't hate him. Sometimes he still does a good interview.

The problem with American late night and celebs is that there are a lot of agreements and lawyers involved in what can be talked about. The bigger the star often the most restrictive - leaving the late night guy with no where to go.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,368,366 times
The episode aired over here last night and I must say I don't understand what the big deal is.
I don't think she looked uncomfortable in any way.
She seemed to have fun and had good answers to his questions.
And why can't they talk about world hunger on an entertainment show?
I think that they are right when they say it is embarrassing that there are fifty million starving children in the "best country in the world".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV