Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Little House on the Prairie, for all its purported wholesomeness, had some really bizarre plots (clown mime rape, a mother hallucinating that Laura was her dead daughter & locking her in the basement, Carrie shrinks and gets chased by a giant spider, etc.) and historical accuracy be damned. Laura Ingalls Wilder was probably rolling in her grave. The books were better by far but I still love the show.
...the Ingall's constantly adopting orphans...

Still loved the show, but yeah, the books were much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
I literally blanked out the flying monkeys in the W of Oz. Although I watched it every year as a child, when I saw it as an adult I absolutely did not remember that scene at all! Maybe it was the colorization or something, but, boy, I could have sworn that wasn't in the versions I saw as a child.........
Oh I very distinctly remember the flying monkeys! This would have been during a theater re-release sometime in the very early `70s. Scary!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM

33,253 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Loved that show.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm 46 years old.

In the early seventies there was an animated and puppet educational based program for children on PBS called Vegetable Soup.
It was one of the most creepy and disturbing programs for children ever written.
I watched it whenever it was on and because of it I suffered nightmares and issues with concentrating on it during the day at school.

The worst part of the program was when the puppets from Outer scope would come on.
The name of the show didn't ring a bell, but when I looked it up on Youtube I definitely remember those creepy puppets. Just curious, why did you keep watching if they were so disturbing?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Quote:
The name of the show didn't ring a bell, but when I looked it up on Youtube I definitely remember those creepy puppets. Just curious, why did you keep watching if they were so disturbing?

I really cannot account for the reasoning behind why I continued to watch this show.
It drew you in and injected you with it's drug induced nightmare imagery.

If I could find it on DVD I would purchase the whole series because of just how much the program disturbed children including myself during that time.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Little House on the Prairie, for all its purported wholesomeness, had some really bizarre plots (clown mime rape, a mother hallucinating that Laura was her dead daughter & locking her in the basement, Carrie shrinks and gets chased by a giant spider, etc.)
Not to mention all the spousal abuse and drunken ol' Mr. Edwards.

If you ever venture over to Television Without Pity, the Little House on the Prairie discussion board is hysterical and worth a gander.

Quote:
Just curious, why did you keep watching if they were so disturbing?
What fun would that be? LOL I watched Dark Shadows through fingers covering my eyes during the creepy parts, and to this day the closet doors must be closed before I can go to sleep, because of the secret passageway that ended in Victoria Winters' closet and the people (etc.) that used to come through it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Don't forget Land of the Giants. Space version of Gullivers Travels set in the far off future year of 1983.

Also:

Petticoat Junction. A curvy red head, a curvy brunette, and a really curvy blonde live in Hooterville and bathe in the town's water supply. Ohhhhh-kay. And despite the winky winkiness of "lots of curves--you bet!" it wasn;t sexy.

Manimal. NYU prof could change into any animal to help fight crimes. Pretty bad.

Flying Nun. Strangest idea for a sitcom ever.

Geico Cave Man as a tv series. I don't even remember the name of this one, it was so bad.

Twin Peaks--although at least it was supposed to be weird.

Small Wonder. Robot scientist builds robot in the shape of a 10-year-old girl, then tries to hide her amid his family. Theme-song quote: "She's fantastic/Made of plastic."

Cop Rock. Cops sing and dance while performing legit, hard-core cop work

Beauty and the Beast. A pretty gal and an ugly critter love each other while they solve crimes.

Homeboys from Outer Space

Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Hogan's Heroes always struck me as a very weird idea for a comedy. But stranger than that was Heil Honey I'm Home, a sitcom about Hitler and Eva Braun living in suburbia, with Jewish next door neighbors. Eight episodes were produced, but only one was ever broadcast. I'm amazed even one was shown.

There was also a really odd show about a mobster's wife living in suburbia while waiting for her husband to get our of jail. It starred a fairly famous actress who was very badly cast in the role. Melizza Gilbert or maybe Molly Ringwald. I don't recall but it was horrible.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
That's funny that y'all had nightmares. The only thing on tv that gave me nightmares was "It". I still remember that ugly clown peeking through the sewer grate. For years I got uneasy walking by sewers. I'd usually walk a few inches away if i was having an especially bad day I'd simply cross the street versus walk right next to it.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Don't forget Land of the Giants. Space version of Gullivers Travels set in the far off future year of 1983.

Also:

Petticoat Junction. A curvy red head, a curvy brunette, and a really curvy blonde live in Hooterville and bathe in the town's water supply. Ohhhhh-kay. And despite the winky winkiness of "lots of curves--you bet!" it wasn;t sexy.

Geico Cave Man as a tv series. I don't even remember the name of this one, it was so bad.

Small Wonder. Robot scientist builds robot in the shape of a 10-year-old girl, then tries to hide her amid his family. Theme-song quote: "She's fantastic/Made of plastic."

Cop Rock. Cops sing and dance while performing legit, hard-core cop work
Bathing in the town's water supply? Gross! I watched a lot of TV Land and Nick at Nite in high school but for some reason never watched Petticoat Junction.

I've heard of Land of the Giants but never been a sci-fi guy so skipped that one too. It was set in 1983? That's funny!

yeah the cave man show was a stupid idea. I'd give the gecko a show before those guys. Note those commercials are no longer showing.

I LOVED Small Wonder!!! They used to show reruns on Saturday on the Fox affiliate when I was in elementary school.

I vaguely remember Cop Rock. I was what 8 or 9? I thought it was silly. You know people always talk about that show as one of the worst tv shows. It's funny that it's remembered so much even though it didn't last more than a month. The story line didn't entertain my 8 or 9 year old self but the singing dancing in the middle of a police station was enough for me to tune in. So I was sad to see it go but obviously got over it. Besides I had a serial killer clown to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV