Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,022,754 times

Advertisements

The previews, I think, were showing clips from Africa. Are they bypassing China and India this season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,240,702 times
I'm another one here who was disappointed and disturbed by seeing the song challenge. I did not think that was appropriate. The feelings and memories and casualty/wounded results of that war are still too raw.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,930 times
I'm from that era, know people that died or suffered serious injuries, but I also know the history. The North Vietnamese were "aggressors" after Eisenhower cancelled the elections in the south that would have been won by Ho Chi Minh. The US was as much the aggressor and to blame as anyone (including the French, whom the Vietnamese had been fighting for years). Yes, American lives were lost, but it wasn't one sided. The Vietnamese people suffered horribly (and both sides contributed to it - remember Napalm???). And yet when it was all over, the result was the same as it would have been in 1954 if the elections had been upheld. Vietnam has actually fared well under communism and tourism is flouishing.

I thought the song (propaganda at its best) was weird, but I wasn't offended. It's their country and their way of celebrating. Hell, Vietnamese might be offended listening to Country Western songs about the "good ole U.S. of A." Time to lighten up when watching mindless TV. It's a game played by some pretty stupid people, but I would love to be part of it (although since I'm from the Vietnam era, I'm way too old to be doing the stuff they do).

Last edited by Beretta; 03-19-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I'm from that era, know people that died or suffered serious injuries, but I also know the history. The North Vietnamese were "aggressors" after Eisenhower cancelled the elections in the south that would have been won by Ho Chi Minh. The US was as much the aggressor and to blame as anyone (including the French, whom the Vietnamese had been fighting for years). Yes, American lives were lost, but it wasn't one sided. The Vietnamese people suffered horribly (and both sides contributed to it - remember Napalm???). And yet when it was all over, the result was the same as it would have been in 1954 if the elections had been upheld. Vietnam has actually fared well under communism and tourism is flouishing.

I thought the song (propaganda at its best) was weird, but I wasn't offended. It's their country and their way of celebrating. Hell, Vietnamese might be offended listening to Country Western songs about the "good ole U.S. of A." Time to lighten up when watching mindless TV. It's a game played by some pretty stupid people, but I would love to be part of it (although since I'm from the Vietnam era, I'm way too old to be doing the stuff they do).
Yes, it IS their country and I don't really care wth they do. What I found offensive was CBS and TAR shoving it into our faces. I just don't think it was proper with so many people and vets still being alive. If it were OLD history, I would not have blinked an eye but it is not. It is recent, modern history. At least until we boomers are all dead.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yes, it IS their country and I don't really care wth they do. What I found offensive was CBS and TAR shoving it into our faces. I just don't think it was proper with so many people and vets still being alive. If it were OLD history, I would not have blinked an eye but it is not. It is recent, modern history. At least until we boomers are all dead.
Exactly...

Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,130,348 times
I could understand a lot of Americans being upset over the images of the B-52 and the sights and sounds of the state inspired music.

For a lot of us the imagery of Vietnam is still fresh and painful----it remains a very painful and controversial part of our history. Could have CBS handled this episode a little better-----perhaps. It is probable that as a condition to allow CBS to film an episode the amazing race in Vietnam the concessions to state run images were granted.

It was interesting seeing Hanoi------I love the amazing race, and I think it nicely shows the customs and sights of other countries. I can, however, understand that last nights episode brought on some anger and resentment among families that lost loved ones during the war.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,858 times
One year when they went to Africa they visited a spot where slaves were loaded onto boats bound for America. Plenty of white guilt, no mention of the African chiefs who sold them.

Another time they were in Germany and showed damage from a WWII bombing and a comment from Phil of how it showed the "horrors of war". Of course, we all know what evil people dropped those bombs.

I wasn't around during the war, but the song bothered me. They've been to Vietnam before and didn't do that. If the government insisted on it, go somewhere else.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,388,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
The previews, I think, were showing clips from Africa. Are they bypassing China and India this season?
Speaking for myself, PLEASE PLEASE bypass India this time. For some reason I get so bored when they go there.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,811,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Speaking for myself, PLEASE PLEASE bypass India this time. For some reason I get so bored when they go there.
speaking for you and me both---NO INDIA please!!!!!! My least favorite part of each season.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
For all of us who have the names of loved ones on the wall it was a real slap in the face. So our loss makes for good entertainment??? I love this show but this was really a heartless and tasteless thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV