Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,211,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I am really wondering about the contestants this season. It's as if some of them didn't know what show they would be on. If you watch previous shows, you know that you have to be in great athletic shape for a lot of the challenges because you'll be running to catch trains, planes and automobiles; plus, you have to be able to read a map; follow clue directions (like getting your gear before you take the water taxi); drive a stick shift; eat animal fallopian tubes and other disgusting foods; swim/climb/rappel/dive/jump/run/ski/ride animals/carry heavy items for blocks (like logs); and power sleep on planes, among other things. Yet we have wuss doctors who are terrified of water, an overweight smoker, some quitters and some whiners. Where did they get these guys???
Excellent question. It's all part of the "SHOW".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM

313 posts, read 402,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I think the theme of TAR this season is "Reinforcing Stereotypes"...

1) Asian-American girls with strict parents who demand excellence
2) African-Americans from the inner city who can't swim
3) Southerners who love taxidermy, Walmart, etc.
4) Short guy with a Napoleonic complex
5) Hockey players missing teeth

At least the surfers seem more intelligent that the usual perception of surfers.
That's a great observation. I didn't put it all together until it was mentioned here...very true..seems like they've really piled on the stereotypes this season.

It's so obnoxious how when they should the Southern people, they even play music to that effect. It's like they're fully aware of what they're doing and enjoying promotion of negative stereotypes.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to the next episode.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,834,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
That's a great observation. I didn't put it all together until it was mentioned here...very true..seems like they've really piled on the stereotypes this season.

It's so obnoxious how when they should the Southern people, they even play music to that effect. It's like they're fully aware of what they're doing and enjoying promotion of negative stereotypes.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to the next episode.

and though they may not be rolling in $$$$, the area the southern couple herald from is a very affluent area. I have relatives who live there. They don't need to be acting as though the couple is from hillbilly land just because they're from Bama

Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,211,799 times
previews show Dad still in it and moving pretty well. Let's see what happens tonight.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM

44,695 posts, read 61,856,330 times
Tonights show was a 2 parter I see. To be continued next week. Nice to see dad and son making it. Dad is really showing some guts and pushing himself to the limit. My favorite so far.
Some of those drivers in the car competition crack me up trying to drive a stick shift. Seems they would have practiced a lot more before the auditions for the show.

New Zealand is a beautiful country. We've been there and sure would love to go back again sometime.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,597,781 times
I was surprised at how much time the teams had between Bora Bora and Christchurch, New Zealand. Not only did Dad have time to go to an ER on Tahiti, get x-rays, a Dr.'s appt, cast and crutches, but he still made it back to the airport where the rest of the teams were bunched up, and all playing cards. (Who brought the deck?) Then Dad and Connor
Spoiler
actually finished in 1st place!

New Zealand was beautiful! Reminded me of Montana or Wyoming. It looked like it was Fall "down under", but it was filmed from November 13 - December 7, 2012, which I guess would be our May-June (I think?).

Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,531,254 times
I don't think the dad and son will quit next week. They are my favorite team, and very inspiritual. New Zealand was just beautiful. I had no idea it had mountains like that, very pretty. I am glad the dad and son had that express pass too.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,373,003 times
Do they normally give a prize when you finish first in a "halftime" leg? I don't mean non-eliminations, but ones where Phil says "Welcome, here's your next clue, now GO"?

The preview frm next week showed one of the blonde chicks going through a bunch of upright surf boards. So if it was a mental challenge, the dad could do that. But I don't know how much longer he can go avoiding physical challenges. Each player has to do a certain number of the ones only one person does (if they still have that rule), so eventually he'll be forced to do something. Since he can't even drive a stick right now, he could be in trouble. There is also the issue of doing serious damage to his foot running around on the boot like he is.

I can't drive a stick, and yes I'd learn if I got on the show. But practicing at home and then trying to actually do it several weeks later in a stressful situation are two different things.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,263,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Tonights show was a 2 parter I see. To be continued next week. Nice to see dad and son making it. Dad is really showing some guts and pushing himself to the limit. My favorite so far.
Some of those drivers in the car competition crack me up trying to drive a stick shift. Seems they would have practiced a lot more before the auditions for the show.

New Zealand is a beautiful country. We've been there and sure would love to go back again sometime.
Isn't New Zealand just gorgeous? Bora Bora was no slouch either.

Phil comes from Christ Church?? He sounds as American as I do! I had no idea.

I'm glad the dad and son made it and won that leg. I don't think they'll quit either. Not yet. Such a shame he had to blow his ACL.

Can't believe the "cold German" woman berating her husband so badly on the car part of last night! I would've said "FU", quit and gone home and filed for divorce!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,167,578 times
New Zealand looks gorgeous!

I hate that it's a 2 parter - I'm impatient and wanna see the end of the leg! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV