Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Yeah, but we didn't have PBS then. And aside from some of the excellent BBC programming, my PBS has just shown - again - Under the Streetlamp, the four guys singing hit tunes from the 50's and 60's. Never would have seen that on the big 3 alphabets.[/i]
Maybe YOU didn't, but WE did!! The Philly area's WHYY has been on the air for more than 50 years. How else could I have watched Monty Python or Upstairs Downstairs in the 1970s?

But I agree about the Big 3 not showing that type of program. Here it is, Saturday night, and for the umpteenth time, I'm watching the Les Mis 25th Anniversary special on PBS. Love it!

In a year or two, one of the networks will show the current (2012) Les Mis, stretching the 2.5 hr running time to 4 hr with commercials, or maybe squish it into 3 with massive edits... yuk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
To tell the truth, I remember a lot of corny, unrealistic programs produced during the network era. In contrast, nowadays some cable channels like HBO and Showtime have really engaging dramas with high production values. Do we really want to argue the merits of, say, The Mod Squad over The Sopranos?
Yes, they do. But I'm so tired of subscription channels being cited as the only "quality" programs produced in the US. It's time for some of the more accessible networks to step up to the plate! Like AMC's Mad Men.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I also respectfully disagree with the op.

When your choices are fewer, your standards fall.

Undoubtedly, there is a LOT of crap on tv.
But there is also far superior programming than has ever existed before.
I will grant you that this is a tiny percentage of what is out there.

Back in the day, we were all forced to watch what big advertising companies deemed appropriate for us to watch. Now anyone with a camera can have a voice. I find that refreshing, as well.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Who wants to pay for and dig though hundreds of channels and 1000's of shows to find a decent one.
Me-Tv and This-Tv are running only oldies and they are rapidly increasing their vierwership as people learn of their existence, and they are free over the air channels.

About half of my TV viewing are those 2 channels. I like 12 O'Clock High when I can't sleep.

I bought a leaf antenna and get 61 channels so no cable bill.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Who wants to pay for and dig though hundreds of channels and 1000's of shows to find a decent one.
Me-Tv and This-Tv are running only oldies and they are rapidly increasing their vierwership as people learn of their existence, and they are free over the air channels.

LOVE THIS TV and just got Me TV and that has been a lot of fun to see all the good old shows that I grew up with.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
The only things this old fogey misses are shows that all began in the Fall unless they were mid-season replacements and 21 plus episode seasons. I have no idea when shows, especially cable shows, start anymore especially if I don't watch anything else on those cable channels to see the ads for the start of new seasons. And these shows that are only 13 episodes long kill me.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,124 times
Yes, back in the day there were nothing but quality shows like My Mother The Car, Mr. Ed, Manimal, Pink Lady and Jeff, Hee Haw, Love American Style plus all the other hundreds of shows so terrible that they've been forgotten entirely. Particularly if your memory is fading due to age...

Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Yes, back in the day there were nothing but quality shows like My Mother The Car, Mr. Ed, Manimal, Pink Lady and Jeff, Hee Haw, Love American Style plus all the other hundreds of shows so terrible that they've been forgotten entirely. Particularly if your memory is fading due to age...
Hey the Pink Ladies were hot.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM

477 posts, read 803,291 times
Quote:
Hey, I always enjoyed watching Love American Style.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
You mean that you don't watch Hee Haw on Sunday nights now on RFD-TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV