Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times

Advertisements

Outside of sports, It's hard for me to remember the last show I watched on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX. I watched a few episodes of the first season of Heroes. I watched a few episodes of the new V series, based on nostalgia from childhood. Nether kept my attention. However, I'd put cable network shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, Shameless, Game of Thrones etc. against anything ever made on network television. The networks don't even put their best shows on the network anymore. USA Network's Psych, Burn Notice and White Collar are more interesting than anything on NBC, and NBC owns the network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Ya, if only we could have some good shows like Petticoat Junction and/or The Munsters on the air.

TV has always had some crappy shows and some good shows. The good ones are just harder to find now because there are more channels, that's all.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:55 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,487,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I have given up on trying to stay current with TV shows. There are too many choices and most get cancelled after just a few episodes.

I have never seen:

Lost
Prison Break
Wired
Big Bang Theory
Cougertown

I get comfort from old episodes from the "classics" when not watching something educational. The only show I follow is "Walking Dead" because even if you miss the weekly episode, they replay it the following week.
I am very hooked on 24 and Prison break on Netflix. Never was interested to start watching 24 when it started back in 2001, and now I can't stop watching it. A very good show! I also watch Walking dead on Netflix...I like the storyline but a little more gory than I would like.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
To this forty-something fogey, TV was better when we had the "big three" networks. The shows were of a higher quality.
I don't know if I agree with you, but I had to post to let you know that I love your username!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:08 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,336 times
I'm 34, I haven't really been interested in modern tv since about 2002 or 2004.

-With some exceptions. Sex and the City on HBO for example was very well written and smart. Shows like that are interesting.

I've always liked documentaries....taxi cab confessions, or mtv's true life.

Honestly, I'd rather watch older shows now than newer ones. I.e. Knight Rider, Brady Bunch, lol, MacGyver, A Team (if its ever on).

-It seems like with a lot of new shows, the comedy is more forced. It's not truely "funny"....its sort of spun that way or made to look like that. For example....a reason I Love Lucy is still on the air, it was genuinely funny. Is the same true for 2 and a half men? Are people going to be watching many of these shows in 20 years?

The crime shows I've never gotten into. The reality/dance shows....pathetic. The "singing" competitions, never got into. That's about 60% of tv.

I'd rather watch an old episode of walker texas ranger. There was a story. Good characters. A lot of shows in the 80's and 90's had a "feel" or tone.

-Also a lot of the "drama" with new shows (specifically reality tv) seems so scripted. Its like everyone on these shows gives the same "look". There are the same fights. You could almost put them side by side....they'd have literally the same arguements. The older shows from the 90's had much more variety. I think people cared more about older shows.....stronger fan bases. A show could be a huge hit after only 4 or 5 years, like the A Team or something. Modern tv is just overprogrammed.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
We got our first tv set in 1949, and during the 50s there were many shows I enjoyed, here are just a few:

The Ed Sullivan Show
Death Valley Days
Father Knows Best
Have Gun Will Travel
The Honeymooners
I Love Lucy
I've Got a Secret
The Millionaire
Mr. Lucky
Naked City
Rawhide
Red Skelton Show
Rin Tin Tin
The Thin Man
This is Your Life
The Untouchables
Wagon Train
Wanted Dead or Alive
What's My Line?
You Asked for It
You Bet Your Life
Zane Grey Theater

We didn't have recording devices back then, but we sure needed them as there were a multitude of good shows and many on at the same time.

On Saturday mornings (early part of the 50s) we could watch 15-minute shows like Les Paul and Mary Ford or Korla Pandit, and of course Saturday mornings were the great old western movies with Tom Mix and Hopalong Cassidy (just to name two).

Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM

99,610 posts, read 4,494,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Mouldy, did you ever watch Friday Night Lights? It is not urban at all and it covers young and older demographics. As Tim Riggins would say, "Texas forever." The series was an underappreciated masterpiece.
Friday Night Lights. What an outstanding show! I'm watching all 5 seasons on Netflix now and it's one of the best I've ever seen. I'm definitely in the older demographic and would never dream I would be interested in this. It does indeed cover all age groups and their struggles.

Hard to believe a series of this quality was on network TV. It seems more like a cable series.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
I miss the 3 major network's movies. They were on 9-11p regularly, sometimes 8-10p. I remember as a pre-teen/teenager watching them quite often. No one likes TV movies I guess.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
To this forty-something fogey, TV was better when we had the "big three" networks. The shows were of a higher quality.
I'm roughly the same age and couldn't possibly diagree more. We're in a new golden age of TV -- and very little of it is on the big networks. All the good stuff is on the cable networks. Cable TV is so good that for the first time in my life, I'd rather stay home and watch TV than go to the movies.

A movie critic said it best: "I saw some great movies last year. But I didn't see a single movie that was half as good as the last 4 episodes of Breaking Bad."

I will admit that sitcoms were better in the '70s. I can't think of a single brilliant sitcom on TV now. I tried watching Two Broke Girls the other night, and the writing was so horrendously horrible that I couldn't even finish one episode.

But when it comes to dramas, TV has NEVER been better than it is right now.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
I love the variety, sometimes though there is soooo much shows to choose from that idk which one i want to watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV