Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 AM

486 posts, read 863,840 times

Advertisements

A long long time ago in a far away land there was a magical vision alternative called cable tv. When we first got cable believe
it or not it many stations didn't run commercials during their shows. Personally, I can't stand watching most of the crap
on TV(in general) because of the repetitive commercials that run 3-4 minutes, then the tv show which may run 4 minutes
then a commercial again. And most commercials & advertisers could give a rat's behind since they show the same ad
every time over & over. Me TV and Antenna TV does run old shows and fits the commercials as they were intended
back during their day. I'll also check out PBS because no commercials or the fascination with crummy reality stars and
trash shows.
BTY some shows hold up well with time & others stink. Hated Love American Style - too corny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
A long long time ago in a far away land there was a magical vision alternative called cable tv. When we first got cable believe it or not it many stations didn't run commercials during their shows.
I DO remember way back when I first heard of this thing called Cable. I didn't get to see it myself until the mid-80s, when I was over at a friend's house. I was SO disappointed, and disillusioned -- by that time, they were showing commercials. I couldn't believe it!! You paid for TV AND had to watch commercials??? What a rip off. But at the time, basic cable was probably less than $20/month.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I DO remember way back when I first heard of this thing called Cable. I didn't get to see it myself until the mid-80s, when I was over at a friend's house. I was SO disappointed, and disillusioned -- by that time, they were showing commercials. I couldn't believe it!! You paid for TV AND had to watch commercials??? What a rip off. But at the time, basic cable was probably less than $20/month.
I remember when cable was made available on the Oregon coast in the mid-60s. When I first heard the term "pay TV" all I could envision was some sort of box on the TV to put money in! Up until then we only got NBC and it went off the air at midnight. I believe we paid $3 month for cable back then.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Who wants to pay for and dig though hundreds of channels and 1000's of shows to find a decent one.
Me-Tv and This-Tv are running only oldies and they are rapidly increasing their vierwership as people learn of their existence, and they are free over the air channels.
I think we both know it is completely unrealistic anymore to have 3 channels with 24hrs of quality television. the entire reason there are hundreds of channels is to cater to more people. They are still mostly owned by the big 3 networks anyway.

The comment about Me-TV and This-TV is just an opinion. Neisen ratings havent begun monitoring it yet. That said there has never been a question of who those channels are available to and I am sure they cater to some people but the vast majority of viewers are not looking to watch 40 year old episodes of "Hawaii Five-0". It is a niche channel.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Anybody else miss the broadcast sign-offs at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning when a male announcer would say 'We now conclude our broadcast day', then they played the national anthem, and after that some color bars or a static station ID would come up? How fondly I remember waking up to that eerie droning hum of 400hz.

I wonder if these sign-offs are still done anywhere?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Anybody else miss the broadcast sign-offs at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning when a male announcer would say 'We now conclude our broadcast day', then they played the national anthem, and after that some color bars or a static station ID would come up? How fondly I remember waking up to that eerie droning hum of 400hz.

I remember that.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
I remember the "this concludes message................" and how many times did we fall asleep on the couch only to wake up to snow. The national anthem always indicated I was either up too late or woke up too early.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
We first had PBS here back in 1962. It wasn't very exciting back then. Now we've got 4 PBS channels and some pretty good programs! I DO remember the stations signing off for the night way back! Don't really remember when that stopped.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM

675 posts, read 645,502 times
I used to enjoy PBS, but for the past 15 years or so, I haven't watched it at all. I'm not sure why I'm so turned off to it.

I will say that I can't pain myself to watch sitcoms anymore, even though I used to love them back in the 80's. Dramas have never held my interest. Nowadays, the only thing that has held my interest is Ice Pilots NWT, and that's on The Weather channel, which is much different than it used to be. It used to be all about...ummmm....uhhhh....oh yeah....weather. And IIRC, they used to use more graphics and text, and less overly-folksy weathermen. I get get the latter on the Big Three Local News At 6:00, thank you.

I do enjoy C-Span a lot of the time. I love the presenters voices (somewhat reminiscent of NPR). I also enjoy San Diego's own channel, City TV. I enjoy city council meetings and related fare.

I used to be such a couch potato, but now I am much more into radio (uually NPR, but also old jazz or indie).

Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 PM

675 posts, read 645,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

That was always mysterious and rare in some sense. I liked that. As well as when everything wasn't necessarily "Breaking News", and so whenever there was actually a break-in to Mr. Belvedere or Punky Brewster, it was actually a bit startling. It's actually rather funny watching YouTube videos of these various artifacts of our youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV